What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harvested some papayas yesterday. The two big ones came from the tree DW planted, two new smaller trees just appeared, one produced this half-size papaya which we will have for breakfast in a few minutes.

Attachments

• Papaya.jpg
    Papaya.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 18
Ah, takes me back to my days in Brazil. Nothing like a big slice of mamão to top off a meal.

Ran 17 miles on my 61st birthday. Now recovering and will grill a steak if I can get off the couch. I kinda like the old person status complete with support hose.

If you can run 17 miles your not old, could not do that when i was 20, congrats

Pretty much staying inside yesterday and today because of the heat. We're in NC with family but the "feels like" temp is ~105 so nothing outside is much fun for long.

Walked the dog, did a little house cleaning, went out and got a haircut, hit the sushi bar for a forty dollar lunch and hit the grocery for a bag of spinach.

Gonna make Calamari Dore with Angel Hair and fresh spinach for me and my girl tonight. Tomorrow we go see Lynyrd Skynyrd at Wente with dinner.

God I love blowing dough - :)

Eight mile training hike in AM at a nearby state park with lots of good-for-you rolling hills. I again carried 30 lbs to DH's 40, about 25% of body weight for us both. It was a tough go for me for some reason, as we spent last Saturday doing the same mileage and I rocked that hike. The good news is we train with weights simply dropped in our packs, which is considerably more brutal than what our 'real' backpacks will feel like during our upcoming backpack, when the weight is more evenly distributed.

Afterward I made really lovely lunch wraps - roast beef, brie cheese, lettuce, tomato and avocado, served with fresh summer nectarines and home brewed sun tea. And all this lovely made-at-home/prepared-at-home food is why are Restaurant budget line is currently being underutilized.

We both enjoyed a little downtime after lunch (reading and short naps), then we met our landscaper at a nearby nursery to select plants for a front yard refresh we are in the midst of.

Returned home to prepare and eat dinner, then DH left for a meeting and I retired to my home office for my weekly Spanish tutorial with my Mexico-based Spanish teacher via Skype.

Wow is retirement tiring or what! :)

We're now USAPA pickleball ambassadors which entails expanding the sport around the world. We're going to FL for a conference next month then will be teaching the sport to middle school kids in the fall. We've also gotten into the tournament business and are running a pickleball tournament in October. So far we have about 250 players s at $50 a player. It's a little side income stream but the per hour rate is horrid... but it's fun and keeps me busy so all good!

Then about 2 weeks ago I found a sci-fi game called Ingress. It's basically an electronic capture the flag game. There are 2 factions, Enlightened and Resistance. Of course I joined Enlightened. The cool thing is you don't play behind a keyboard. You play out in the real world by walking (a lot) and capturing enemy portals from a hand-held device. I've walked 55km in just 10 days!!! I've gotten hubby into it as well so we have fun walking around parks and other places that are heavy on portals and blowing up Resistance holdings. But we have to be careful too. When you take out a portal, the device announces "Enemy portal neutralized, hacking possible... good work" all said by a very soothing female voice. Hearing that alarms people so we wear headphones so the populace is spared any distress. :dance:

Good thing we retired young cause I'm exhausted! But in a very good way.

Lisa99 - Ingress is actually the basis for Pokemon Go:

Augmented Reality Showdown: Pokémon Go vs. Ingress

I've played a little Pokemon Go while I'm out and about just to know what it's about, but haven't tried Ingress. I'm almost to the level in Pokemon Go where I get to visit a gym and see what that's all about.

I actually found Ingress because of Pokemon. I wanted to see what all of the fuss was about with Poke so played for a bit. I found out that if you used "Ingress" maps you could find Poke stops.

Once I did the quick Ingress training (which you have to do to understand how to find portals) I was hooked and deleted Pokemon.

We met with our "Enlightened" faction co-players here in town last night and have been accepted into the fold... who knew a game could be this much fun! And it works the brain too because there is a LOT of planning to do before taking out portals.

We are on a family trip in Corolla, NC that ends (for us) tomorrow. Fittingly for this forum this morning I spent $200 at Sooey's BBQ & Rib Rack for tonight's family dinner. Yes, there are a lot of people at the rented house. And Porky is making a substantial contribution to tonight's dinner. He's a really committed guy....

Recovering from Skynyrd. "Skynyrd is in the house"

Good show, good band, really tight, good wine, good booze, good fillet mignon.

I'm beat. This Rock & Roll stuff takes a toll on ya - :)

Today I took a 7 mile run, had a late breakfast and am now contemplating life from my beach chair ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1471545544.235476.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

ROMEO Club meeting in AM. Field trip to Harbor Freight to buy tools we probably don't need or won't ever use. :LOL: Lunch at Mambo's Seafood.

Took the pooch in for a dental cleaning. Since she is 10 years old, they had to run a bunch of pre-anesthesia tests which ran the bill up over $700. Vet was also trying to sell me some overpriced dental chews, which I passed on. I hate that extra sell, though they seem competent overall.

Took the pooch in for a dental cleaning. Since she is 10 years old, they had to run a bunch of pre-anesthesia tests which ran the bill up over $700. Vet was also trying to sell me some overpriced dental chews, which I passed on. I hate that extra sell, though they seem competent overall.

There is an additive you can put in your dog's drinking water, which will soften the plaque enough so you can easily brush it off. It's called "TropiClean Fresh Breath." Check out at: TropiClean Pet Products for Dogs and Cats | Pet products made with natural ingredients for a tropical clean.

Angel Flight

Flew a patient with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer home after his treatment. He was in good spirits and enjoys flying with us.

First day back at the gym after a week off because we were in NC. I didn't noticeably atrophy but maybe I'll be sore tomorrow. Wait and see.

Gave my notice at work! Toxic boss can torture me for 5 more days & then "I'll fly away oh glory!"

Taking what I hope will be a nice little bridge-to-retirement job: airline call center. Big pay cut, but comparable benefits + flight benefits.

Returned to Hong Kong from New York after a 3.5 week holiday. To take advantage of some cheap air tickets, we flew via London rather than directly - a 26 hour door-to-door commute.

Congratulations, Htown Rose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom