What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booked 10 days in Grand Cayman for next March, our Happy Place. We endeavor to buy a condo there for winters should the planets align on some other real estate dealings. We are divers and will diver our favorite site on the planet there again (Babylon) and tour the dining and drinking establishments as we always do. Will be my first vacation post-FIRE.

I took a bath.

That's right, it is Saturday....:D

Gym day today, and spent about two hours figuring out how to transfer photos from DW's new iPhone to the Windows 10 PC. Turns out that iTunes will let me put photon in the phone, but I see no way to get them out with that software. Turns out that Windows Photo Gallery will do it with no fuss.

Woke up too early (6:51AM, ugh)

Went to gym.
Braggart that I am...i took a bath, while knowing it was Saturday.

Cooked breakfast and lunch, but dinner was out with two of our adult kids (the two we like, thankfully).

Razorbacks won in double OT against TCU.

Looking for a hotel for SL Cardinals game to kind of wind up the summer for DH and myself.

Another good day.....

Had a fun time in Tahoe this week. But we needed a rest after all the hiking we did, so we stayed home and watched some football on TV (as well as a few episodes of "Narcos" on Netflix). We might go to the beach tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

The camera that I bought is the Amcrest ProHD 1080P. It's an indoor model, rather than outdoor, so has the ability for remotely panning and tilting by the viewer. I put it up in the attic and observed all kinds of antic by these cunning roof rats.

Before buying I researched on the Web, and some other brands are a bit cheaper, but have buggy software. The one I bought was rated a lot higher, and I have had no problem so far. I programmed it to only capture video when there's detected motion, and to store it on my network hard disk for my examination later. I can use my computer to access it through the home WiFi network and to see through the camera in real-time too. I have not used some of its capabilities like e-mailing, or viewing through a smart phone, or viewing from outside of the home network.

The camera is infrared, so no light is needed. However, the video then becomes black-and-white, and loses the sharpness of the daylight color mode. It is enough to see what the rats are up to, and how many of them are around. Rats do not have infrared vision, so it is amazing to see how they maneuver around using mostly their extremely sense of smell, and their whiskers for close sensing like a blind person using a cane.

I thought that the design was superior to the conventional snap trap. With the old trap, a smaller rat may mount the trap backwards, and the snap bar would just fly over its head. It is also perilous for the person setting the trap to avoid getting fingers smashed. This Tomcat trap is set by pressing a lever in the back. If you hold that lever down with one hand or a foot while baiting to keep the jaw opened, it should be safe. Also, the bait should be small and put deep in the well. That requires the rat to step on the tongue in order to reach in.

54428201.jpg

Well, you may have some neighbors like mine who have fruit trees, or leave out food for their cats or dogs. These roof rats can travel up to 300 ft from where they live to where they feed. The most we can do is to make sure they do not enter your attic or garage. This requires vigilance.

What is infuriating for me is that the roof of my 2-story home is too complex and has too many nooks and crannies. The tile roof also does not help, as the tiles have hollows and do not lay flat like shingles to make inspection easy.

If I end up giving up and calling in a pest control guy or a contractor, at least I know what I have done, and the guy must know to do more than that. It's part of self-education now.

A wonderful bait for mice is a piece of tootsie roll. Knead it with a little peanut butter. If a rat or mouse tries to bite it at all, the teeth get stuck, slowing down the critter long enough for the trap to trip. I like the Tomcat traps to. We tried for several days with peanut butter. Put in tootsie roll and the mouse was caught within 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forumle
Wm

That's right, it is Saturday....:D

Gym day today, and spent about two hours figuring out how to transfer photos from DW's new iPhone to the Windows 10 PC. Turns out that iTunes will let me put photon in the phone, but I see no way to get them out with that software. Turns out that Windows Photo Gallery will do it with no fuss.

That is good to know. I went through that process last month with two iPhones.

Made a peach cobbler this morning and put out the fall and Halloween decorations with DD. Heading to a friend's house for lunch soon. Tonight we are building a fire to cook marshmallows and enjoy the evening at home.

Weather turned cool again so I enjoyed a nice four mile jog around the neighborhood. It was just about a year ago that I was hobbling around with a cane and popping ibuprofen like nobody's business. Had an MRI and the doc told me I was on track for a hip replacement "probably sooner than later."

A long (six month) rest let the pain disappear and I was able to learn to pace myself so I can do those runs at least three times a week now (when the weather isn't too hot).

Having turned 70 this year, I consider myself to be in pretty decent shape, despite being slow (which I never cared about anyway).

Big storm last night, and when I was out I noticed a major street closed. A power pole had been snapped in half like a toothpick and the power lines were spread across the street. A few blocks further on, a massive old tree (nearly three feet in diameter) had been blown over and missed the house next door by probably six inches!

Took my regular 3 mile walk, laundry on the line and now put away, drove in and got flu shot (extra strength version for geezers).

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Todays my birthday. I'm officially eligible for my microscopic pensions (age 55). Should get autodeposited beginning of next month.

It's been a mixed bag of a day. Walked on the beach with the dog (good). Took a test in my online class (not fun, but I got a 94%). Participated with DH in a free (to me) cooking class at Sur La Table. (Schwab financial consultant invited us). Learned some new techniques. Now I'm home watching netflix and trying to get my kids to be less annoying.

DH is supposed to make me dinner tonight... but is complaining that he's full from the lunch at the cooking school.... But he did just go out to start the charcoal to cook our steaks.

Todays my birthday. I'm officially eligible for my microscopic pensions (age 55). Should get autodeposited beginning of next month.

It's been a mixed bag of a day. Walked on the beach with the dog (good). Took a test in my online class (not fun, but I got a 94%). Participated with DH in a free (to me) cooking class at Sur La Table. (Schwab financial consultant invited us). Learned some new techniques. Now I'm home watching netflix and trying to get my kids to be less annoying.

DH is supposed to make me dinner tonight... but is complaining that he's full from the lunch at the cooking school.... But he did just go out to start the charcoal to cook our steaks.

Happy birthday, Rodi. 🎉🎂💐🎈

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The lads and I wish you a Happy Birthday, Rodi.

Slept late, watched CNN, read emails, visited internet forums, had lunch,
went to post office, visited the cemetery, came home, listened to voicemail,
took shower, had dinner... now after an exhausting day, I'm ready to relax :)

Yesterday I worked 5 hrs in the local food bank warehouse. Today it is too gloomy out to think of doing much but I do have a stained glass window's frame to refinish I may just go back to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom