What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
On monday, spent a beautiful day hiking into the san juan mountains for some fall color.

DSC02364.jpg

DSC02350.jpg

DSC02412.jpg

Thanks -
you must also be in the same geographic area - that landscape looks very familar!

Probably 70 miles East of where I think you are. That's taken just below our home, the edge of SJNF.

Last edited:
Getting ready for figure skating season, checked skates, gloves etc. the rink is open again. In prep went to see DW's favorite chiropractor for a tuneup and alignment. Tomorrow first skating session since April.

We're out for a short RV escape and when I took the dog out for a walk after dinner, I saw a bright moving object in the sky. Checked it out and confirmed it was the ISS. Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Did weekly volunteer work @ the Veterans Resource Center. Helped a Vet process his paperwork for VA healthcare.

Got fired from my part-time job today. So did everyone else in the local office so it livened up an otherwise dull Friday afternoon. I had six calls/e-mails from headhunters by day's end (no plans to return any of them).

I'll miss having an office/secretary in the CBD and most of the people, but otherwise no big deal given my circumstances. More concerned with some of the younger people whose careers will be disrupted. I'll probably spend some time over the next few weeks helping them polish cvs etc.

Last edited:
talked my friend into going to a bar to listen to some Slovenian group. to my surpsrise our local group that played first impressed me more :D and now i've got sore throat because we tried to talk despite all of that noise and crazy screaming

Walked 18 holes at a course I had never player before yesterday. Typical mediocre score. Watching the Ryder Cup today. Walking 18 at a different course tomorrow. It's a tough life.

I also walked 18 today on a course that's just 5 minutes from my house with a friend I had worked with for 25 years (he still has 3 to go). We then had a couple "pops" after the round on my deck and I bbq'd some burgers.

Was at the Bogleheads' Reunion in Philadelphia then drove to NYC for the Notre Dame - Syracuse game tomorrow.

Went to a Pink Floyd tribute band concert last night. Not really a fan of tribute bands, but tickets were inexpensive, so what the heck... I'd give the band a "B-" musically, but the laser light show was pretty good.

Perhaps being a guitarist, and having done front-end mixing in the past, makes me overly critical, but the lead guitar was painfully louder than the rest of the band, vocals were so-so, and the band struggled on a couple of tunes. Doesn't help that I saw the real PF three times...

Wild old man weekend continues tonight with an Andy Timmons show, with Chris Duarte as the opening act.

Oven was pre-heating when a flash and a small sound was noticed. So much for the planned cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Stove part still working. Did some investigating and determined the electronic control board for the oven had a portion of the circuit burned out and let the smoke out, under the relay area. A high current location, but why now vs being several years old? In good LBYM fashion found a rebuilt board on ebay for $79 vs $190 range for a new board. Rebuilt board has 6 mo warranty and claims to be fully tested, so hopefully it is good for longer than warranty. Looks like no baking for next week approximately until the new board gets here.

Figures something would go wrong, as I just bought DW a new vehicle yesterday. A 2016 Ford Explorer, between the Ford extra cash incentives and hitting the dealer hard on last day of the month and quarter. Bought the vehicle for my net cost about $4700 under dealer invoice (incl $3000 of Ford extra cash incentive), which of course is not really the dealer's true cost, or $6000 under MSRP. I would have taken used, but I got this for near what a used one with 30K miles would be selling for. Since it is a long term purchase, not worried about being a 2016 vs 2017. Have had my current 1997 Expedition for 18 years now, trying to figure out if give the Expedition to a younger relative or just sell it. Nothing wrong with it, just 20 years old and 185K miles, so in spite of real good condition and my regular PM, it is not worth much. DW will get the new Explorer, and I will start driving her previous 2008 Ford Edge I guess. The Explorer is the first new car I have bought in about 30 years.

Last edited:
Chose my fall-back health care plan from Fl BCBS this afternoon. Premium is around 52% more than what I am paying this year, but at least I still have access to a plan with broad nation-wide coverage. More fortunate than many in other states.

Also visited our neighbor. Poor folks - they're in their mid-80's, he has Alzheimer's and is declining rapidly. She needs help, and I've been going over 2 or 3 times a week to help her make their living environment more suitable for their situation, and also to help fix things - mostly computer and A/V. And to sit and visit. She has a hard road ahead.

Just got done winterizing the swamp cooler (or evaporative cooler in scientific terms). Job would not be as bad except the swamp cooler is up on the roof, which is a metal roof. Gets very slick when wet. Winterizing means getting it drained of water, removing the mineral encrusted pads, and general cleaning of it inside and out before wrapping it with a cover. So getting wet is part of the process. Not a fun job trying to stand on sloped roof and work while not slipping and potentially falling off the roof.

Built Oxalic Acid Vaporizer for beekeeping. I want to be ready for Varroa mites when they bother my girls.

Built Oxalic Acid Vaporizer for beekeeping. I want to be ready for Varroa mites when they bother my girls.
Whoa! Don't try to take that through airport security. :LOL:

Just got done winterizing the swamp cooler (or evaporative cooler in scientific terms). Job would not be as bad except the swamp cooler is up on the roof, which is a metal roof. Gets very slick when wet. Winterizing means getting it drained of water, removing the mineral encrusted pads, and general cleaning of it inside and out before wrapping it with a cover. So getting wet is part of the process. Not a fun job trying to stand on sloped roof and work while not slipping and potentially falling off the roof.

The guy who helps me sometimes has a son in construction. He was training a young lady who slipped and fell off a tile roof this summer - the injuries were not good. I suggest you buy a safety harness and a strap or a D-ring that you can attach the harness to (possibly at the swamp cooler) so you don't do serious damage. You can get all the parts you need from Amazon.

I spent about 8 hours today painting my living room. We got all new furniture last Saturday, and the young wife picked the color walls she wanted to go with the new furniture. So, I moved all of the new furniture out of the living room, fixed the plaster cracks, taped, painted and moved the furniture back in. The young wife was quite happy with the result, so I am happy.

No electricity at the farm. New $265 power pole in the yard. The 1951 original gave up the ghost. They just don't make em like they used to - :LOL::LOL::dance: :dance:. Spent several hours (Saturday) looking for a Death Certificate to change the name on the electric co-op account from my Wife's parent's name to ours for which we get a $950 credit.

heh heh heh - Juice on Monday according to the electrician. :greetings10:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom