What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the world knows VW spent a lot of effort to get the software "just right" for the engine controller. :)

Like Harley said, this is the pre-dieselgate edition. :LOL:

The older ones (1999 - 2006) are much more robust and aren't loaded up with modern high pressure fuel pumps, common rail injection, diesel particulate filters, NOx regeneration, and so on. These are the cars that just keep trucin' and get 45 MPG with no expensive and heavy battery pack. And they meet the EPA emissions standards promulgated for them.:cool:

I drive a 2007 VW Rabbit and have had no issues with it over all these years. I still love it--so zippy in city driving. Except for the two bumper areas where I hit the side of two different garages it still looks great too!

Gorgeous fall weather here and still fairly warm, suitable for long walks in a paradise of red, yellow, brown leaves. That's part of the plan for today.

I will be working the Pumpkinliner today. My DS,DIL & GD will be riding with me. I will have them ride in the caboose one way on the trip.

I'm still a newbie here at E-R.org.
What does this nomenclaure mean?
"AA 95%/0/5
WR 2% SI 2SS & 2 Pensions"

And, why do we assigned funny quotes, like wannabe dryer sheet?:dance:
Tks.

I'm still a newbie here at E-R.org.
What does this nomenclaure mean?
"AA 95%/0/5
WR 2% SI 2SS & 2 Pensions"

And, why do we assigned funny quotes, like wannabe dryer sheet?:dance:
Tks.

Asset Allocation - Withdrawal Rate?

Hell, I wore gowns and gloves for 31 years...

Khan, get outta there fast. Hospitals make you sick!

My advice is always plenty of alcohol to make the body an inhospitable place for the virus, but you might want to get a second opinion.

This reminds me of the college professor who in a biology class dropped a worm into a glass of alcohol. The worm promptly dies. He asks the class "What does this teach us about the effects of alcohol?"

A guy in the back raises his hand and says "If you drink alcohol you'll never get worms".

Busy day. After the normal morning routine (walk dog, eat breakfast, read newspaper, shower, catch up online, etc.), drove downtown to have lunch with a friend. On the way down, picked up library books and got gas. On the way home, got car washed, got flu shot, did grocery shopping. Now taking care of some stuff for one of my volunteer gigs. Hope to get some reading in before dinner prep starts. Tonight I have a meeting at church as well, so my appointment with knitting needles and The Voice will be delayed.

Too busy yesterday to post. First off, went out and walked the golf course - the outing did not warrant the honor of being called "playing golf". Practiced the harpsichord for an hour or so after lunch and then finished up the pumpkin carving for this Halloween. After that, made up some Greek chicken and rice for dinner and finally, DW and I watched the Cubs lose the ball game.

Attachments

• minion.jpg
    minion.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 20
  • owl.jpg
    owl.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 20
  • witch.jpg
    witch.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 20
Smoked a butt overnight and just had a magnificent pulled pork sandwich.

The local Kroger carries their own ("Private Selection") brioche style burger buns, and they are incredibly good for this (and for burgers).

The sammy was my reward for spending two unpleasant hours in the dentist chair this morning. Broke a crown and it had to be replaced. I'll go back in three weeks to have it installed.

I am far from being a vain person, but not having a toothless smile would be a sufficient reward.

44575200.cached.jpg

Ordered the Thanksgiving turkey & ham for dinner at BIL & SIL's, and some steaks for us using a 15% off code from Honeybaked Ham. I've bought hams there before but never a turkey. The hams were good though!

Ordered the Thanksgiving turkey & ham for dinner at BIL & SIL's, and some steaks for us using a 15% off code from Honeybaked Ham. I've bought hams there before but never a turkey. The hams were good though!

It's still October....;)

It's still October....;)

Sure. They come frozen, I'll put them in the freezer downstairs and pull them out in time to thaw. In the meantime we'll have saved the 15% off a product that will be in high demand next month. Also, up to a point the farther ahead you order shipping is cheaper.

Yesterday was a pleasant sunny 55 degrees so I decided to go for a drive and see how the harvest is coming along. I was on a gravel road driving by a cornfield with a combine working in it. All of a sudden a small flock of turkeys came running out of the field so I stopped to let them get across; just as I was ready to go again 3 white tailed deer came running out. I thought I would wait a couple of minutes to see if anything else was in there and was rewarded by seeing a black bear also fleeing the field. All in all a nice day.

Sure. They come frozen, I'll put them in the freezer downstairs and pull them out in time to thaw. In the meantime we'll have saved the 15% off a product that will be in high demand next month. Also, up to a point the farther ahead you order shipping is cheaper.

Agree, I was just being cute (haha). I do that early order game with XMAS presents too.

With respect to TDay: DW is getting to the point where she is totally exhausted preparing a big meal for the family and extended family members each year. So we have been ordering the "Bird" and trimmings pre-cooked by a local supermarket the last two years. What a time saver and makes it easy on DW. Plus, we get the daughters to clean up afterwards! Last year a large bird and all the trimmings (potatoes, stuffing, other veggies, etc, etc) was roughly $80. I can't remember what all came with it, but it was more than enough for 10 or so adults.

we have been ordering the "Bird" and trimmings pre-cooked by a local supermarket the last two years.

If you're having company over for a big holiday meal, that is absolutely the best option. We've done it several times and have always been happy with it.

Spent the morning putting together 1 minute and 3 minute versions of a speech I plan to give to our local planning commission tomorrow. Lots of editing, refining, timing, editing again. In theory we get 3 minutes - but it's a controversial issue and if enough people turn out they will cut everyone to 1 minute.

I've never done this before - but this issue was important enough to get me off my duff and down to city hall. I get to repeat it for the council subcommittee in 2 weeks, then again for city council in a month.

Unfortunately, the rumor is that the fix is in - not in our favor... so it's a last hurrah to prevent a horrible decision that will destroy my neighborhood.

They took me to surgery and put me under to drain the abcess. My first trip out of the room since Sunday.
I learned a new skill: taking the IV with me to the bathroom.
Spending 10 or more hours a day on IV; hope to go home soon.

At midnight, they take vitals; at 1, they take blood; at 2, they hook up the IV for 5 or so hours.

This is getting old.

Khan...hate to hear you're going thru all of this. Hopefully you'll be able to escape soon and get a decent night's rest. ....without attachments...

Keep us updated.....we're thinking about you.

jjquantz, That is some great pumpkin carving.

Kahn, When did the infection start? Hope you are released soon.

Last edited:
They took me to surgery and put me under to drain the abcess...

Hope you get well soon.

My son got an infection in the liver 4 years ago. His fever was first misdiagnosed in the ER as a flu, and he got sent home. The 2nd visit to another ER resulted in another misdiagnosis as kidney infection this time, then he was sent home with some antibiotics. The fever got worse, and caused him to go into seizure with extreme abdominal pain.

He could have died if a GP did not send him to have an immediate X-ray, resulting in him getting transported straight to the hospital for admission.

They drained his liver abscess, which had grown to the size of an orange. The pain also subsided with the right medication. Thank goodness, he responded to the antibiotics and got immediately better. His hospital stay was for 9 days, followed by a month of antibiotics treatment at home. He had to carry the drain tube poking into his liver for that month. They said it was a strain of Streptococcus, but did not know how his liver got infected. He was not quarantined during his hospital stay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom