What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW and I went into the city today and got our flu shots. Then spent a little while at the Natural History Museum. A bite of lunch and an afternoon recital of Mozart and the like at Georgetown. Home for dinner and DW's Cubbies on the TV.

We drove the RV up to a state campground in northern AZ to spend a few days. Tomorrow, we will board a scenic rail trip.

We visited Prescott downtown yesterday. The last time we were here was more than 30 years ago. Wow, it has grown.

A poster in another thread was surprised that AZ has only 2.4 million people outside of Maricopa County which contains the greater Phoenix metropolitan area. Maricopa has 4 million. It's a big county area wise too, almost twice as large as Los Angeles County, and Los Angeles County is big.

2.4 million is a lot considering that the entire state of Wyoming has less than 600,000, and Montana has only 740,000. Even Idaho has but 2,000,000.

How about Alaska, the largest state with only 740,000 for an area 12 times the state of New York? NY's population is 20 million!

No wonder it feels crowded here in AZ. Too many newcomers. :)

Last edited:
Caught a one hour recital by a Mezzo-soprano at the local college. Stunningly good, as usual.

Drove back from Denver area visiting my sister. Drove up there Fri and then back today, about 425 miles 1-way. Kind of a long trip for the relatively short time we were there.

Drove with DS to State College PA. I've lived here for years and never saw the Penn State campus. We went to Penn's Cave. A cave tour by boat- really enjoyed it. We had racked up so many gas points at the store that we had free gas but nobody's gas tank was close to empty. This gave us an excuse for a Sunday drive to empty a gas tank and get out of the house. DH was busy all day-tech day at the theater.

DW was on a purging kick to get rid of stuff that she didn't use and was going to take a bunch of clothing to Goodwill, so I joined in and tossed in a winter coat I haven't worn in years and tossed out some shirts and old jeans that I haven't used in years either.

We now have noticeably more room in several closets.

4 months into FIRE (still honeymoon period): Up at 5:30, made my wife her lunch and kissed her goodbye as she left for work. Spent some time reading news and drinking coffee. Did the dishes and cleaned the kitchen. Went to the gym. Took my new M&P .45 to the gun range and put 150 rounds down range. A great morning!

Found out today that my favourite aunt back in the UK has been diagnosed with cancer. She is only 69. It is the same cancer that killed my father nearly 30 years ago.

Very sad. Helped my 83 year old mother make contingency plans to fly home to bury her youngest sister (out of 5) should the worst transpire.

Glad we are semi-ER. Makes the decision to fully ER that much easier. Carpe Diem and all that.

Kahn - continued recovery wishes!!!

I started my day with a very nice walk on the beach. Then did accounting homework. After lunch I picked up the kids from school then took older son to an oral surgeon. At his teeth cleaning 2 weeks ago the dentist noticed a soft spot on his jaw that was suspiciously like a cyst.

Turns out whatever it is - there will be surgery. If it's a cyst it's a very large dentigerous cyst... the unerupted wisdom tooth was at the bottom of whatever this mass/hole is - and attached to jaw bone. It might also be an ameloblastoma - but I've got my fingers crossed it's the dentigerous cyst.

Either way - biopsy, then surgery. In the meantime he's banned from water polo because whatever this is has eaten away at his jawbone - it's VERY thin.

I was hoping this was something minor and I'd just pay out of pocket - now I have to get it all transferred to Kaiser since it's appearing to be something medical insurance will cover.

Spent the evening writing emails to the pediatrician at Kaiser (to get the referral to the maxillofacial surgical department) and to his orthodontist (to get the panoramic xrays from the start of his orthodontia sent to the doctor)

Trying to stay off google till we know what we're dealing with - not being very successful.

And here I thought we'd won the HDHP/ HSA lottery this year (after losing it last year)... Oh well, it's only money.

Walked the dog, did some woodworking, paid the property taxes and a bunch of "mail in" annual bills, had a double-double at in&out, drank some cocktails, and gave candy to kids in costumes.

Now I'm gonna whip up a bean sprout omelette with mushrooms, cheese and the last of the truffles.

Been a good "retired" day - :)

Kahn - continued recovery wishes!!!

I started my day with a very nice walk on the beach. Then did accounting homework. After lunch I picked up the kids from school then took older son to an oral surgeon. At his teeth cleaning 2 weeks ago the dentist noticed a soft spot on his jaw that was suspiciously like a cyst.

Turns out whatever it is - there will be surgery. If it's a cyst it's a very large dentigerous cyst... the unerupted wisdom tooth was at the bottom of whatever this mass/hole is - and attached to jaw bone. It might also be an ameloblastoma - but I've got my fingers crossed it's the dentigerous cyst.

Either way - biopsy, then surgery. In the meantime he's banned from water polo because whatever this is has eaten away at his jawbone - it's VERY thin.

I was hoping this was something minor and I'd just pay out of pocket - now I have to get it all transferred to Kaiser since it's appearing to be something medical insurance will cover.

Spent the evening writing emails to the pediatrician at Kaiser (to get the referral to the maxillofacial surgical department) and to his orthodontist (to get the panoramic xrays from the start of his orthodontia sent to the doctor)

Trying to stay off google till we know what we're dealing with - not being very successful.

And here I thought we'd won the HDHP/ HSA lottery this year (after losing it last year)... Oh well, it's only money.

Ouch!:facepalm: Good luck with this, Rodi. If it isn't one thing, it's another.

On another note, three out of four of our kids in our extended family, are out of work. Three layoffs, two oilfield related, one lack of business. One was due to a company Chapter 7 bankruptcy and with that comes no Cobra qualification. Looks like a less than cheerful holiday season around here.

Did the usual Halloween fun of pumpkin carving, handing out candy, and helping DD sort and count her candy after DH took her trick or treating.

Rodi, fingers crossed this isn't serious and that surgery will be the fix.

Rodi, fingers crossed this isn't serious and that surgery will be the fix.

+1 on that!

I had an AM Dr. appointment, last week's stress test was fine, no abnormalities found. Then on to the gym, and drove past the courthouse. Not seeing a line I stopped in to vote (early voting started last week) so that's done. DW had gotten up early on Friday and voted then. Last stop was the ATM and then on home for the day.

Back to 3 mile walk.
Laundry on line and now folded.
Dishwasher done.
Showered
Voted
Grocery run
Hunk of beef in oven, with aromas from onion and garlic

Sounds like you're on the mend, Khan! Great news.

This morning was the first round of leaf duty at the main house. There are still at 50% of the leaves on the trees, but with the forecast calling for rain this afternoon and 30 mph winds tomorrow, I wanted to get some of them cleaned up before they scattered. I filled the bed of the pickup and dumped the leaves at out township yard waste collection site.

I should've taken a photo of the full truck. By the time I got home, the yard was almost covered again. When he gets home tonight, DH might not believe that I did any cleanup...

We are settling into our new to us winter condo in Florida. Arrived Tuesday and unpacked the car and got just enough groceries to carry us overnight and installed the cable tv and internet. On Wednesday a mega $450 grocery shopping trip to get stocked up. DW is becoming a Goodwill queen... I dropped her off and went and washed the car and then returned and we shopped together... dropped almost $100 there today but got a nice deal on a Keurig and a shredder. Still some to go but we are settling in nicely... sort of reminds us of our early married life when we were moving every couple years... but this one was easier because all the furniture was in place (we bouthg the place turn-key). Life is good.

DW & I investigated (and visited) Sarasota as a possible ER destination several years ago. We decided on another location but, downtown Sarasota is a wonderful & vibrant place. Where's your condo located?

Angel Flight

I flew a leukemia patient and his daughter from Santa Barbara to UCLA for treatment.
Coming into my home airport was exciting with 18 knot winds gusting to 25 knots

Busy musical weekend for us. Last night attended a recital of Bach solo sonatas. This morning was dress rehearsal for our church choir's Brahms' performance tomorrow. Tonight we'll see a friend's choral group perform 17th century Italian music. Tomorrow morning we perform the Brahms and tomorrow afternoon we'll watch a group perform masses by Byrd and Palestrina. There are a lot of things that I dislike about living in the DC area, but the availability of music that I like makes up for a good bit of the frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom