What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the modular home builder and made decisions about decor and appliances and dimensions. Wrote a $5000 check for engineering concerning piers.
Stopped off for lunch at local (relatively new) restaurant. Ate too much, at least it was low carb.
We're going to rent the house next door while current house is torn down and replacement put in.

Forestalled predicted 5 to 8 inches of snow for this weekend by getting my snowblower ready, test run and positioned in the garage. Snow is now estimated at 1 to 3".

Worked in the back yard today as it hit 80 F. Raked leaves, marked spots for the new deck I am going to build this winter. Tomorrow, I dig the holes and set the upright posts.

High temp of 80F here too. It was 100F two weeks ago. Totally ridiculous.

Wife texted son to see if he wanted to stop by for dinner. He likes to see us once a week.

Got out the frozen piece of left-over Tasso ham that I bought 2 years ago. A bit dried out, but it will get rehydrated when cooked in the jambalaya. Got some hard chorizo and some ground chicken to add to that Tasso ham.

The rice is cooking and smelling good now.

A crew finished siding my house yesterday. The guy who has been helping me and I have been working for quite a while getting ready for them. Doors installed, decks framed, windows and doors flashed and inspected, all wall penetrations figured out and the associated siding blocks installed. The crew did a great job. The only problem was the white doors stuck out like a sore thumb so I spent time yesterday and today painting them.

Last night we went to a Spanish wine and tapas benefit in San Francisco at a venue called City Views, which did have pretty views of the city and all the surrounding skyscrapers lit up at night. There were about 30 different tables set up of Spanish wines paired with assorted tapas and we could just roam around for a couple of hours sampling.

Today we just had a catch up day at home. I made soup and roasted veggies in the crock pot to try to balance out the calories from last night.

Went here--Shell Beach--and watched otters and pelicans while enjoying the crisp ocean air and sunshine.

It's our first time back for over 3 years. That is way too long.

Attachments

• IMG_2854.JPG
    IMG_2854.JPG
    500.8 KB · Views: 30
Had dinner tonight with friends at the Crusty Crab in Greenbackville, VA. Delicious cheesy crab dip, excellent fried seafood platter, followed by homemade blueberry pie and vanilla ice cream. Had a great time visiting with our friends. Came home and did a 2 hour post prandial BGL test. 244! Oops. But what the hell, it was worth it. Who wants to live forever?

However, back to salads and low carb tomorrow. At least until Thanksgiving.

In preparation for tomorrow's sailing we hauled our washing down to the local, and apparently new, laundromat.

Although it was our first, and only, visit, for a short period we pretty much became the de facto 'experts', explaining in pidgin Spanish, the prices/hours, etc, to people who wandered in.........if we were to have further requirements for resumes, (wash out your mouth), we'd add 'International Laundromat Consultants' . :LOL:

A while back I posted about renewing the car registration on DW's car. I had mailed the form and a check and after about 2 1/2 weeks the check still had not cleared so I assumed the envelope was lost in the mail. Then I renewed online.

Today we received two registration cards and stickers in separate envelopes.:facepalm:

Sitting at w*rk, feeling compelled to write about what I did today.... I watched the Kitten Rescue Los Angeles Kitten Cam, calculated how many more w*rking days I have left (either 169 or 225 depending on which date I leave), and did some actual w*rk.

Wrapped in a blankie, eating a bowl of chili, watching the first blizzard of the year. Ah, Minnesota!

Took morning walk wearing several layers, 60F and windy. Put laundry in dryer, not going to fight with 20mph winds with clothesline.
Supper was brim caught yesterday. 1479687935583.jpg

Run/weight workout, beer shopping for Thanksgiving, bought a bunch of African Mahogany and supplies/tools to make new grandniece's toy box.then watch the Bears lose.

Wrapped in a blankie, eating a bowl of chili, watching the first blizzard of the year. Ah, Minnesota!

Not to start an argument but considering where you live, it wasn't really a blizzard, more like a friendly Hello from Mother Nature. I had the blizzard out here 2 hours West of the twin cities. An unbelievable amount of power outages due to heavy snow and 50MPH winds. Our power crews out here are the best, and had most people back on within 12 hours.

As my brother will be hosting Thanksgiving pot luck, and it is the host's privilege to bake a turkey, we decided to do one for ourselves early. Just because.

It's a 12-pounder, the smallest turkey we have done in a long time, but it's big enough for two. And indeed it is. I hardly ate anything and did not make a dent. The meat was broken down and put away. The carcass is also stored to make soup tomorrow.

Last edited:
Took older son to his first (of what looks to be many) post-op appt. Doctor said the mass was an unicystic ameloblastoma. Super rare. But the unicystic form (vs multicystic) has a lower chance of recurrance which is very good news.

The surgical wound is not infected - but did open up a bit (a stitch popped) so he has antimicrobial mouth wash on top of his antibiotics. We see the surgeon again next week. Continued soft food at least through christmas because of the amount of bone that was displaced by the mass.

Son is milking it for all it's worth - asking for smoothies, milk shakes, more computer video game time, etc... I'm letting him get away with this.

Thanksgiving looks to be mostly eatable for him - mashed potatoes, stuffing (I'll dice stuff in it super small and skip the nuts I usually put in the stuffing), gravy... he can dice the turkey super small, pumpkin pie is soft. I'll make one of the pecan pies with pulverized (food processor) pecans.

In the meantime younger son has been in Arizona visiting my aunt and cousins, with my sister. He's come down with some crud... so he's returning today with sniffles and a sore throat. Poor guy. Hopefully he'll have enough appetite for the big dinner tomorrow.

Other than dealing with the kids I've just been cleaning, cooking, and generally prepping for Thursday.

Angel Flight

Flew a 17 year old and his friend from Bakersfield to Santa Monica/UCLA for treatment for diabetes. The weather was iffy at Bakersfield with broken cloud cover, but we found big enough holes to get down and back up.:D
Boy did that beer taste good after we got back.
I ordered a beer mug for my copilot engraved with his name and "World's Greatest Copilot"

On Monday DW ordered a nightstand from Walmart and surprisingly it showed up today. Took about 30 minutes to put together (this is for the bathroom actually) and not real high-end furniture but she's happy with it. It's just to hold some towels, washcloths and the like.

As my brother will be hosting Thanksgiving pot luck, and it is the host's privilege to bake a turkey, we decided to do one for ourselves early. Just because.

It's a 12-pounder, the smallest turkey we have done in a long time, but it's big enough for two. And indeed it is. I hardly ate anything and did not make a dent. The meat was broken down and put away. The carcass is also stored to make soup tomorrow.

We have a 12 pounder in the oven right now. Our kids are visiting and flying home tomorrow afternoon.... bargain fare and easy traveling... so we are celebrating Thanksgiving today... the 4 of us and an aunt/uncle that live nearby. I hope we have leftovers.

Every year at Thanksgiving I think of how I like turkey and how we have it so infrequently the rest of the year... working on changing that.... we just joined BJs and they have rotisserie turkey breast that is a good, easy meal.

Several weeks ago I ordered a new monitor for DW's computer, and the estimated delivery date has been "Dec 27 to Jan 2."

It showed up today.

ivinsfan, guess you will argue about anything! It was a blizzard to me :)
Save

Our snow is almost gone, so that wasn't much of a blizzard for either of us, Happy Thanksgiving!

Learned a valuable lesson today.

I got one of those free range, organic fresh turkeys from D'Artagnan because I just had to see if it was as good as advertised. Cooked it perfectly (rotisserie on the BGE), and it was wonderful.

But nowhere near better enough to justify the price differential from a local supermarket turkey.

Still, I had to know, and now I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom