What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flew a patient I had flown before from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara. Only problem was getting out of my home airport with the Santa Ana winds blowing and gusting to 20 knots.
This was my 20th mission this year, with one more scheduled.

Good, productive day for you! I have done quite a few Pilots n' Paws flights over the years but never did any Angel Flights..good on you!

Today has been a fabulous day of [-]laziness[/-] leisure. It's started to rain again, and it's always a great reminder of how being retired has lots of perks...especially getting to stay home when the weather is bad.

*IF* I get motivated, I might do some laundry and the sheets may get washed. But it's already almost 2, so that might get pushed off until tomorrow.

Oh yeah..I did do something today. Got a new Amazon Echo Dot and that's all set up in the bedroom. Definitely a cool little gizmo!

Went to a coffee for a local Meetup group for women over 50 who prefer daytime events. If you look hard enough you can find matching demographics for anything on Meetup. I'm not a natural talker, especially with strangers, but I met quite a few people with similar interests, so it turned out to be enjoyable.

Then I barely got home and the plumber called. I was in his queue with several small annoying plumbing problems. He came today, fixed one straight off, and will finish the other 2 that require parts next week.

It was a banner retirement day.

I'm on to bigger and better things to do. I'm pealing shipping tape off cardboard boxes that have been stacking up in my garage. The local waste transfer station started charging $5 for recycle material last January and I wanted to make sure I got my money's worth. It will fill the bed of my pickup and then some!

DH and I took a few items to donate at the thrift shop, and came home with a couple. I found four soup bowls in the same pattern as my Christmas dishes, and at $0.99 each I couldn't pass that up. Then I found two small ramekins that I needed to try to make poached eggs in my Instant Pot.

I'm on to bigger and better things to do. I'm pealing shipping tape off cardboard boxes that have been stacking up in my garage. The local waste transfer station started charging $5 for recycle material last January and I wanted to make sure I got my money's worth. It will fill the bed of my pickup and then some!

Why do you have to peel off the shipping tape? Do you mean $5 a load?

I recently purchase a Foxwell scanner to read the codes. I spent the whole morning trying to get it to work but was a total lemon. The USB port did not turn the power on, plus hooking it up to 2 different cars same result. I decided to just return it.

I'll keep searching for a good bi directional scanner.

Why do you have to peel off the shipping tape? Do you mean $5 a load?

The folks at the transfer station want the tape off the boxes. I imagine it gums up the works when they process it into new products. $5 per trip. It doesn't matter if you have a hand full or a pickup full. BTW, I dumped a full pickup of siding scraps and trash a couple of weeks ago and it cost me about $94. The place is not cheap. It is run by Waste Management. Maybe I should look into some of their stock?

The folks at the transfer station want the tape off the boxes. I imagine it gums up the works when they process it into new products. $5 per trip. It doesn't matter if you have a hand full or a pickup full. BTW, I dumped a full pickup of siding scraps and trash a couple of weeks ago and it cost me about $94. The place is not cheap. It is run by Waste Management. Maybe I should look into some of their stock?

Dumps and recycle facilities have found out how to operate like auto repair shops and doctor's offices. Same thing is happening here. Try to get rid of some oil or water based paint and see what they charge. And then people wonder why illegal dumping is on the rise. The oilfield is filling up with household trash here in Texas.

Hermit, Thanks for the answer regarding tape. Funny how there are different requirements around the country for recyclables. When recycling started here, we had to keep paper, glass and plastic separate.
Hey, when are you going to update your house thread and show off your siding and other additions?

I'm in the process of selling my home. We've jumped through all the hoops and contingencies successfully until today when the septic field failed the test. :( Now to slog through getting that replaced and negotiate with the buyer on sharing costs. :facepalm:

Reactions: W2R
P1020339.jpg
skiied for a few hours on a beautiful day

I'm in the process of selling my home. We've jumped through all the hoops and contingencies successfully until today when the septic field failed the test. :( Now to slog through getting that replaced and negotiate with the buyer on sharing costs. :facepalm:

Just curious, how do they test it? We are near water and they flush dye down the system and it the dye shows up in the lake then they know the system has failed, but if you are not near water I am curious how the test it.

Went to Costco to price Turbotax Premier. They wanted $69.99 for it. I found it on a site recommended on FIRE (thank you)for $39.99 as a download. I downloaded it and installed it and it works fine. The site is WaooCheap

Just curious, how do they test it? We are near water and they flush dye down the system and it the dye shows up in the lake then they know the system has failed, but if you are not near water I am curious how the test it.
They pump the tank and there can be no back flow from the field. They also take 3 core samples from the field and see how much standing water is there. No dye test.

Went to Costco to price Turbotax Premier. They wanted $69.99 for it. I found it on a site recommended on FIRE (thank you)for $39.99 as a download. I downloaded it and installed it and it works fine. The site is WaooCheap

There have been a number of discussions here in the past about the cheapo TurboTax sites, although I couldn't find one with a quick search. The consensus is that buying the cheap versions from a company that has to change domain names every year is risky, inasmuch as you never know what they've done with the software, creating risks like identity theft.

Having said that, I used a cheapo version a few years ago, and never had a problem afaik. Just thought you might like to know.

Wow. I did not think of the possibility that the discounted software might have been adulterated and comes with "free" viruses. That's scary. Has there been any precedent?

I Googled "fun things to do your last day of work". OMG, I am getting some great ideas......

I went to see a friend and former professional colleague get sworn in as a U.S. Bankruptcy Judge.

I have a very remote cabin so I spent the day there. We had a snow storm for a few days so I didn't know if I would get in there. I didn't have to walk the 1 mile in this time. Had a great day with the fire going and taking in nature.

This morning I spent three hours on a webinar, learning the Taxslayer software that I will use to prepare taxes (I volunteered through AARP). I wouldn't have needed that long, but some of the volunteers online were not quite as comfortable as I am poking around in unfamiliar software. I did my best to stay patient, because when it comes time to be trained on the tax code I'm likely to be the weakest link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom