What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
:dance::dance: I finished a months-long project today! :dance::dance:

I volunteered to do the paperwork to get a title on an old truck (2000 F150 4x4) that was donated to the kid's camp. I started working through the paperwork last April and handed the camp a document that they can take down to DMV and get the license plates today. About 5 months was due to US Postal Service not doing their job or doing their job in such a way that I had to get things redone. It was also quite a pile of documentation. It all got turned in at the DMV this morning with the ability to get the plates and they should get the title in a couple of months. As with any bureaucratic paper work, there were a lot of i's to dot and t's to cross.

Went to see David Crosby last night with DH. I had just finished reading the book, Long Time Gone: The Autobiography of David Crosby, and saw that he was coming to town. I am surprised that he is still with us, after reading this. We last saw him in the mid 70's with CSN and possibly Y. I can't remember if he was with them, at the time. Enjoyed the concert, but boy, the years have definitely changed all of us!

We saw a very well done holiday musical last night in the city called She Loves Me at the SF Playhouse. It was a theatrical version of the movie You've Got Mail. It was pretty going into the city and seeing all the holiday lights up in the stores and around Union Square. Today we had a Groupon to use up for lunch before it expired. The rest of the day I've been catching up on paperwork while binge watching Hulu.

Last edited:
My iPhone 6 lightning cable has to be in a 'certain' position in order to be charged. So I went to my Carrier today and the salesperson wanted to sell me an iPhone 7 rather than understand that I was interested in a repair. I then went home and called my Carrier and because I have their monthly insurance, I can get at n/c a refurbished iPhone 6. So YouTube was my friend today, and I would like to share with my pals here. Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk (but Google and YouTube first).....
I inserted a plastic floss threader (not wood or metal) into the port at the bottom of the phone, and two years worth of pocket lint came out, and now my lightning cord snaps right into the proper charging position. <--- proud of myself !

Rich

Richard4444, you might consider getting one of those cans of compressed air with a narrow nozzle. They are used in electronics repair for things like blowing the dust out of keyboards and stuff.

I think that probably would be at least as effective for your specific case. Everyone should have one in their home for quick fixes to simple problems like this.

I inserted a plastic floss threader (not wood or metal) into the port at the bottom of the phone, and two years worth of pocket lint came out, and now my lightning cord snaps right into the proper charging position. <--- proud of myself !

Rich

My husband had the same issue last month and thought it was a problem with the phone. Went to the Apple Store, they cleaned the pocket lint from the port and his phone and charger work perfect now. Glad it was a simple fix!

Richard4444, you might consider getting one of those cans of compressed air with a narrow nozzle. They are used in electronics repair for things like blowing the dust out of keyboards and stuff.

I think that probably would be at least as effective for your specific case. Everyone should have one in their home for quick fixes to simple problems like this.

Yes - Thanks braumeister !

Rich

For cleaning dust or lint off keyboards or ports, I use a small stiff brush while holding the hose from a vacuum a few inches away. Compressed air may blow the dust deeper into the nooks and crannies.

Pilots and Paws Mission

I flew a rescue poodle from Lompoc (north of Santa Barbara) to Long Beach to a new forever home.
It was very windy to a point where I had to crank in a 20 degree wind correction angle to stay on course.
DW was very upset that i flew, as the TV weather said it would be very bad. I have told her that the TV forecasts rarely are correct, but it was a losing battle:confused:. I go to the NOAA website for each airport to see what the real weather is
In any event, I got home safely, and they can use the airplane again LOL.

Put together my tool cart I bought from Harbor Freight. It was a rainy day and working in my garage was the right choice.

Getting ready to put the 2003 Jetta back up on jack stands to fix an exhaust leak and replace manual shifter bushings that are located under the floor board where the transmission linkage hook up is. The car has 305,000 miles on it and I want it to last another 10 years.

cart.jpg

Put together my tool cart I bought from Harbor Freight. It was a rainy day and working in my garage was the right choice.

Getting ready to put the 2003 Jetta back up on jack stands to fix an exhaust leak and replace manual shifter bushings that are located under the floor board where the transmission linkage hook up is. The car has 305,000 miles on it and I want it to last another 10 years.

View attachment 25022

Nice cart!!!

Yesterday: We just subscribed to The Great Learning Courses streaming option ($159 for year, good for 10 devices, max of 2 users at one time) and I streamed a Spanish lesson over coffee. Then went on a lovely five mile walk with DH, stopping in at Home Depot to pick up lots and lots of felt pads for the furniture going onto our soon-to-be-laid wood floors. Side note: I love that dogs are welcome at Home Depot . . . makes shopping there so nice! After our walk we painted the 1/4' round moldings that will be installed along our baseboard once the wood goes in, then had 'fun' removing all the smaller items from the bottom floor of our house in preparation of the installers arrival this week.

For dinner I made a savory vegetable tagine stew which we enjoyed over brown rice, plus a tomato cucumber side salad. And which we ate while watching James Bond's Spectre on Hulu streaming. Eating in front of the TV, long a no-no when we had children in the house, is one of my favorite empty nest guilty pleasures, particular since adding a WiFi booster to our home this week. Prior to installing the booster we struggled to get through a streaming show in our downstairs family room without frequent 'buffering' breaks. :facepalm:

I went to Costco this morning to pick up a few things and saw the LED bulbs at a price I'd not seen 'til now. FEIT BR30 65W box of 8 for $20, and 60W box of 4 for $5/ Both are dimmable and have a substantial utility rebate, so I stocked up - 1 box of BR 30 and 3 boxes of 60W.

Yesterday: We just subscribed to The Great Learning Courses streaming option ($159 for year, good for 10 devices, max of 2 users at one time) and I streamed a Spanish lesson over coffee.

I love the Great Courses. That is a good price for a year of streaming. I'll have to check into that. I have a bunch listed on camelcamelcamel price watch and buy the DVDs when they show up used at a good price.

I love the Great Courses. That is a good price for a year of streaming. I'll have to check into that. I have a bunch listed on camelcamelcamel price watch and buy the DVDs when they show up used at a good price.

Plus a free Roku as part of a special offer currently running. Only available, I believe, if you forego their free monthly trial and simply sign up.

Bought a new camera, did some woodworking, stayed at home in a blizzard watching the Bears and Blackhawks.

Thinking about getting a cart like aja888's the next time I venture out.

Long time denizens of this site will appreciate this.

We have a 14 year old cat who, among his many other idiosyncrasies, has always refused to taste anything in the "people food" category. It's official cat food or nothing.

Today, DW was munching a piece of bacon and broke off a tiny piece for him. "OMG! That's wonderful."
He proceeded to gobble down nearly a quarter of a strip of thick bacon, then settled down in total bliss.

What's so funny is that he had never before allowed bacon to cross his lips. Or salmon, or sardines, or anything else that other cats would die for.

In his senior years, he has suddenly discovered that the stuff the giants eat is not always that bad!

Came home from an out-of-town weekend trip to a wedding. On the two-hour return flight, a woman sitting in the row behind us talked nonstop at a fast pace to the gentleman beside her for the entire trip. Pretty sure he was a stranger to her based on her conversation that touched on mundane things. I could hear her through the smushy foam earplugs I wear when we sit near the engines, as of course she had to speak up to make herself heard over the engines. Not really a problem, of course, but still interesting--I couldn't talk nonstop for five minutes, especially to a stranger.

Hermit, Thanks for the answer regarding tape. Funny how there are different requirements around the country for recyclables. When recycling started here, we had to keep paper, glass and plastic separate.
Hey, when are you going to update your house thread and show off your siding and other additions?

I finally got around to updating the pictures on the Pikes Peak or Bust thread. I guess it had been a while. :LOL:

Bestwifeever, That could have been my sister. She talks nonstop taking no pause so you can comment or ask a question. You have to just break in on her long winded monologues. She talks so much that I sometimes zone out and don't know what she talked about if I'm asked. Can't tell you how many times when I get off the phone and my husband asks what she wanted I tell him "I have no idea." I'm lucky that she repeats herself. She will repeat conversations talking both sides of the conversation. She tells the full name of people (strangers to me) that she's talking about, why would I care. I'm polite and listen.....or pretend to listen.

Came home from an out-of-town weekend trip to a wedding. On the two-hour return flight, a woman sitting in the row behind us talked nonstop at a fast pace to the gentleman beside her for the entire trip. Pretty sure he was a stranger to her based on her conversation that touched on mundane things. I could hear her through the smushy foam earplugs I wear when we sit near the engines, as of course she had to speak up to make herself heard over the engines. Not really a problem, of course, but still interesting--I couldn't talk nonstop for five minutes, especially to a stranger.

On a recent cross country flight the gentleman in the window seat next to me started talking and asking me fairly personal questions the moment he sat down. (DH next to me, so nothing inappropriate, just personal given I'd 'known' him less than 60 seconds). He proceeded to tell me he was traveling with his wife, who was seated directly behind him, but she refused to sit by him any longer due to his nonstop talking. Ding, ding, ding! I quickly thought, "Buddy, your necessity to talk to someone throughout this six hour flight is NOT my problem." I politely smiled, turned away, put on my earbuds and got out a book.

And that solved that.

I just finished my ACA signup for 2017. In 4 weeks I get to make a change to it. In addition, decided which Medicare supplement and drugs plans DW will have to change to starting Feb, and me later in 2017. Scheduled the BCBS person to come sign her up later in a couple weeks. That was a big decision process.

I also cleared our first snow of the season off the driveway. We got ~6 inches of heavy wet snow yesterday. Nice to just say, I can leave it until tomorrow. I don't have to go to work (ever!)

Some iPhones manufactured during a period late last year have faulty batteries. I experienced the problem a couple of times this summer: when the battery level got below about 29% the phone interpreted that as zero percent and abruptly shut down. Most annoying, but as long as I kept the charge up it was fine.

Apple now has a battery replacement program running now (you can see if your serial number is affected here), and mine definitely qualified. I made an appointment to bring it in to the Apple store this morning to get it done.

The tech at the store said they had been having such a run on these lately that they were fresh out of the batteries. But then came the good news. Since they couldn't take care of it right then, he simply swapped my phone out for a brand new one! Happy camper here!

Brau, I had that same issue with my previous phone - but Apple didn't agree it was a defect. Good for you that you got them to fix it.

My daughter gave me a bottle of "Goose Island Bourbon County Stout" the other day, and we (DW, brother, his DW, me) drank it on Sunday. It is apparently a very limited edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom