What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like a dreadful fall! If it was me, I'd ditch the brownies and go for multiple ice packs and your favorite OTC pain killer. Plus spending a day in the recliner might not be a bad idea too, depending on how your c-spine injury reacts to that. Maybe ice down your cervical spine too. Maybe get your thumb x-rayed if you think it could be broken. Maybe get some input from somebody who knows what they are talking about (I don't but just think your fall sounds so painful).

Thanks WR2, Been using ice and ibuprofen all day. Already ate a brownie, now what?

I feel better already, pains gone. I'm taking it very easy:) and the recliner feels great. Was watching the sunset but it's gone now.

Thanks WR2, Been using ice and ibuprofen all day. Already ate a brownie, now what?

I feel better already, pains gone. I'm taking it very easy:) and the recliner feels great. Was watching the sunset but it's gone now.

Oh good!!! It makes me happy to read this. Sounds like you have it figured out and I'm so glad the pain is gone.

I know, it sounds awful, doesn't it! :LOL: :eek:

When I first retired, I went for about a year without an alarm (for the first time since pre-school age). No spouse, no pets to awaken me so I was strictly depending on my biological clock. I discovered something rather "alarming" about myself. For me, what happens is that I start staying up an hour later each night than the previous night, and then sleeping an hour later in the morning, making for a 25 hour day. I end up sleeping when the rest of the world is awake, and when I am awake everyone I know is asleep, all businesses are closed, and there is nothing on TV. This is no fun. While being awake in the middle of the night is bad enough, what's worse is that the time span when one is awake keeps changing when living 25 hour days.

After trying to correct that for a year, I finally decided that by gosh, I had had enough. I don't use my "BLATT!!!!!" (going to work) alarm clock, but instead I have set up an alarm system that plays soft, soothing bird chirping sounds. Being a light sleeper, that awakens me gently within 5-10 minutes. It's not ideal, but so far that's the best solution that I have found.

I am exactly the opposite. I would probably run on a 23 hour day. Sometimes I have to force myself to stay up until 9:00. Sometimes I don't make it that long. I usually wake up between 4:00 and 5:00 and get up a half hour to an hour later. That is so much better than jumping out of bed to make it to work on time!

I am hiding from the snow that started. I learned our library has elending via Hoopla, 15 titles a month, ebooks and audiobooks, plus another service or two with the same capability but fewer titles allowed, so maybe 25 a month total (not to mention the Prime/Kindle users book benefit that I still don't understand how to use :):. I told DH I might not leave the house again for a couple of months....

There have been a number of discussions here in the past about the cheapo TurboTax sites, although I couldn't find one with a quick search. The consensus is that buying the cheap versions from a company that has to change domain names every year is risky, inasmuch as you never know what they've done with the software, creating risks like identity theft.

Having said that, I used a cheapo version a few years ago, and never had a problem afaik. Just thought you might like to know.

If you have Fido accounts, you can get TurboTax for free.

I ran the lawnmower over all the straggler leaves on my lawn until it ran out of gas. Then I changed the blade, oil, air filter, and spark plug, cleaned it and put it away for the winter. Watched my football team lose the most important game of the year, then took the young wife out to dinner for her birthday.

I was surprised and confused that NW-Bound brought up that idea, too. Doesn't make sense to me either, but maybe that's how they do it where he lives?

Edited to add: Aha, after some browsing on the internet, I discovered that electronic igniters on natural gas heaters have an "off" position and they are apparently set in the "off" position until they are installed. So, you have to manually move that switch and turn it on as part of the installation. That makes a whole lot more sense than a pilot light (to me, anyway)...

It does not matter where one lives nowadays, because the same new appliances are made by a few companies and used throughout the country. I just don't know what the current standard is. I didn't know I was offending anyone. :)

My current homes are all electric, but I lived in older homes where the gas furnace and the water heater had a pilot light that one had to keep burning. Hence, I was surprised by the phrase "light the heater" that your serviceman used.

By the way, the furnace and water heater in my RV have electronic ignition, but the range has an old-fashioned pilot light. Why? Just because.

Last edited:
I ran the lawnmower over all the straggler leaves on my lawn until it ran out of gas.

I bought a new cordless electric mower with a catch bag this summer. A pleasant added benefit is that it vacuums up a single layer of leaves clean as a whistle!

Last night, my children invited us to dinner at our favorite restaurant which happened to be French. It was for a belated BD celebration. I was pleasantly surprised to see my niece and her husband there too. They gave me more booze as gifts. My liquor cabinet is overflowing, as I just bought some myself.

I have martinis chilling in the freezer, Sukju Namul (Korean bean sprout salad) and some nice ahi steaks thawed.

Seared Ahi and sprouts tonight!

Took DW out for breakfast. Then put up *more* Xmas decorations. Cut the back lawn for the last time this winter.

Ordered three Echo Dots for the chatty females in the family so they have a new friend to converse with.

Got the fixin's for making Texas chili tonight.:dance:

Went for a snowy 6 mile hike on a bison watch. Didn't see any, but it was good to get outside in the fresh air for the first time in 3 weeks.

Went on a snowy six block hike with DH to the library to return a book (Elly Griffiths, A Dying Fall) and another snowy six blocks home. Made salted caramels for a sick friend. Also making angel hair pasta with asparagus, sundried tomatoes, and roasted peppers for dinner.

Served as support crew for DW who did a half marathon. She has been averaging one a month for over a year, and still loves it. A walker, not a runner, and she says it's way more fun because she can chat with the folks near her -- something runners find very difficult.

I'm sorta a techie and today I've been calibrating my new 70" TV set. Wow! TV has come a long ways! I got a 4K HDR bluray player and some HDR movies. It's as if I have a window watching the action now. Simply breathtaking. Also got a surround sound system. Watched a movie about Pearl Harbor. I heard a Zero coming in from behind/left shoulder, over my head and onto the screen. I ducked!! Ha!

Today I got the beds made up for family that will be coming in beginning next week.

- Put together a large garbage bag of items to be donated to the local thrift store.

- Applied dubbin to DW's Doc Marten's and a pair of my shoes......just before our May trip I'll haul them out and apply mink oil as a finish.

Sitting the waiting area while my DS is having his knee surgery. Waiting for them to take him into the ER while DW sits with him in the pre-op area. Thinking about my knee surgery on Friday and how our home will be converted into an orthopedic rehabilitation center for the holidays![emoji33]

I went to the local music store...they have moved to a new location with more room and now have a wall with close to 300 guitars. I didn't have time to try them all :D

guitars.jpg

Circa 1967 I used to (try and) sell Framus guitars for a wholesaler.....never sold a thing to their main store on Yonge St. in Toronto, but their little branch outlet near Davenport took a couple once in a while.......geez, that's almost 50 years ago.

Walked 3 miles with group then went for coffee, then a holiday lunch. Checked news of the day and napped.

Circa 1967 I used to (try and) sell Framus guitars for a wholesaler.....never sold a thing to their main store on Yonge St. in Toronto, but their little branch outlet near Davenport took a couple once in a while.......geez, that's almost 50 years ago.

L&M had one small cramped store in the 80's...they now have 2 large stores. There are also several other music stores in the city, and at least one of them has 2 locations. Our city is small, but is deep with musicians and music gear sells. There are hundreds of bands in our small city. As Randy Bachman (The Guess Who and BTO) who grew up here once said, "The winters are cold. If you didn't play hockey, then you played in a band."

L&M had one small cramped store in the 80's...

The store near Davenport in Toronto was like a large closet.....used to see Mendelson Joe there quite often...it was more of a 'musicians hangout' than their main Toronto store on Yonge......and, L&M have just opened an outlet here in Belleville.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom