What DVDs have you seen recently?

LOVE "The Tudors".

Just saw It's Complicated (2009) and laughed hysterically at various points. If you've seen it, you know about the best scene :D - I'm not going to spoil it.

I liked Avatar visually, a little crunchy-granola in parts (bad people, good nature lovers...)

We've been watching "Warehouse 13" on-demand on cable and enjoying it.

Here are some worth watching (IMHO, of course :D ):

Greenfingers (2000)

District 9 (2009)

The Young Victoria (2009)

Crazy Heart (2009)

Nine (2009)

Gran Torino (2008)

Saving Grace (2000)

I've been exercising the Netflix Watch Instantly queue, and have seen some truly amazingly good and bad movies. I usually watch one after DW has gone to bed, so I'm doing about 5/week.

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. What can I say? :rolleyes:

I've been amazed at what I can watch on Netflix instant play. We dropped out subscription down by 1 movie (to 2 at a time) and I find lots of stuff to watch "instantly" if I'm bored.

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. REALLY? I may have to find this one... now that I will theoretically have free time. I love that W2R hasn't had time to watch movies :LOL: in retirement!

Here are another couple of ones we liked:

The Talented Mr. Ripley with Matt Damon.

and a followup Ripley's Game with another very good actor in the Ripley role.

By far the best film I have seen recently is Quentin Tarantino's "Death Proof" - This film isn't for everyone. You have the hot chicks with foul language. You have the Tarantino sick and twisted. You have the bizarre plot twist(s) . You have the graphic violence. yeah it's kind of like all Tarantino films - Kind of weird - but really interesting.

Reviews for this film were kind of binary. People either loved it like I did, or just couldn't quite see the point of the film.

Last night we watched the TIVO'd In the Bedroom. Another heavy duty film.

But the TIVO missed the last few minutes of the movie, which are extremely suspenseful. Luckily, they have it at the library, so we'll be able to find out what happened.

Last night we watched the TIVO'd In the Bedroom. Another heavy duty film.

But the TIVO missed the last few minutes of the movie, which are extremely suspenseful. Luckily, they have it at the library, so we'll be able to find out what happened.

That was an excellent movie. I can't remember what happens in the last two minutes, though. :blush:

Double Indemnity, sort of the prototypical film noir: dark scenes with shaft of light and strong shadows, rueful narration by the main character, murder.
Stars Fred McMurray as a bad guy, Barbara Stanwyck as a bad gal, and Edward G. Robinson as not a bad guy.
Pretty good flick, and interesting from a film history point of view also.

Lots of good flicks out there. This one is a classic. Weird seeing Fred McMurray as a bad guy. I never did figure out the Medford reference.

Free to canoe

Watched another classic last night, Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder with Grace Kelly. Not exactly a murder mystery in that you know who "did it" all along. The suspense is whether or not he will get away with it.

All in all, a good film, despite the fact that it was almost like a filmed play. Virtually the whole movie takes place inside a one bedroom apartment, and the outdoor scenes are obviously rear-projection.

A couple of recent PPV, as opposed to DVDs, were Up In The Air and Crazy Heart. Both quirky, and somewhat melancholy, but good acting.

Leap Year - romantic comedy, very funny
An Education - cerebral, interesting, very well done
The Ruling Class - this is a 1972 Peter O'Toole black comedy - it's a acquired taste, I enjoyed it

...and I'm working my way through season 1 of "Lost" which I never watched when it was on broadcast TV - and liking it a lot.

thinker25 said:
...and I'm working my way through season 1 of "Lost" which I never watched when it was on broadcast TV - and liking it a lot.

My wife, son, and I worked our way through all 6 seasons of Lost on Netflix (no cable TV at our house) over the past year. Actually the 6th season we watched on Hulu. We enjoyed it a lot, especially being able to watch an hour show in 42 minutes, commercial-free. The show was in a way like an old favorite sweater....lots of loose threads all over the place, but a favorite nonetheless.

Double Indemnity, sort of the prototypical film noir: dark scenes with shaft of light and strong shadows, rueful narration by the main character, murder.
Stars Fred McMurray as a bad guy, Barbara Stanwyck as a bad gal, and Edward G. Robinson as not a bad guy.
Pretty good flick, and interesting from a film history point of view also.

Very similar to an Ashley Judd film Double Jeopardy which I just saw for a second time on one of the movie channels. I agree about the Tudors...Hot, hot, hot(the young actors who play Henry and Charles Brandon). I rarely rent DVDs as I like to go to the movies even if it involves a drive into "the city" to see something worthwhile. I pay a lot for cable TV with very little to show for it...should downgrade to basic cable but occasionally I watch something on STARZ or HBO.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream

Directed by Peter Bogdanovich (2007)

I ordered this after quickly reading a Netflix description that led me to believe there would be more concert footage. There are indeed concert and studio clips galore (it's over three hours long), but this is a documentary, not a concert film.

Very good. Much, much better than an extended "Vh1: Behind the Music" episode. It took me back to the days when I was buying two and three albums a week and paid close attention to what was happening in music. It kept my attention by reminding me of all of the unique things he has done in his long career: MTV pioneer, the Traveling Wilburys, fighting the record companies, the Stevie Nicks duet, etc.

Petty is an underrated talent in many ways, and the Heartbreakers are more than just backups. I pre-ordered his new album right after watching it.

We have watched more DVDs lately. We discovered that if you rent 2 movies at the same time at Redbox and give them your email address, they will send you a code for a free movie. This is through the end of June, I believe. Anyway, we watched Leap Year for me. I like romantic comedy, and it was cute, but way too predictable. We also watched Inglourius Basterds (DH) and it was okay, but there was one guy who just made me too nervous the whole movie. We watched Edge of Darkness (DH) after a long day of work and it was okay, but sort of depressing. From Paris with Love (DH) was typical Action movie, where hero has hundreds of bad guys with machine guns shooting at him and he never gets wounded. Up in the Air left me feeling unsettled with thinking about how many times we really don't know what we want, until it is too late. I have another free movie code to use and I am thinking about the movie with a title (I think) Something about the Morgans. I am hoping for a good comedy, if anybody has any suggestions.

. I have another free movie code to use and I am thinking about the movie with a title (I think) Something about the Morgans. I am hoping for a good comedy, if anybody has any suggestions.

a really funny movie is Hangover for some reason guys love it but I also enjoyed it .

Thanks, guys. I loved It's Complicated and enjoyed The Hangover too. I think that I saw the Blues Brothers ages ago and liked it, but need to watch it again. I have not seen the Messenger. I stopped at Redbox on the way home and rented When In Rome, a romantic comedy. About 2 minutes into the film, my DH says Chick Flick. However, he watched it with me and laughed several times. I thought it was a cute movie and really enjoyed watching it. I wished that they made more comedies for the older crowd, such as It's Complicated.

My wife, son, and I worked our way through all 6 seasons of Lost on Netflix (no cable TV at our house) over the past year. Actually the 6th season we watched on Hulu. We enjoyed it a lot, especially being able to watch an hour show in 42 minutes, commercial-free. The show was in a way like an old favorite sweater....lots of loose threads all over the place, but a favorite nonetheless.

Don't tell me any spoilers! I am really enjoying it, and never heard of it until recently.... yeah, I'm out of it when it comes to commercial TV. :D

Back
Top Bottom