What ER means to me.

e86s54

Recycles dryer sheets
All,

After only about 3 months of ER (I'm 47), I'm slowly discovering what ER really means to me.

To me ER means not being rushed. I absolutely hate been rushed from one place or thing to another. I enjoy the ability to change direction at any time and do whatever pops up (or nothing at all).

I guess to me, time has become more valuable than money.

Also the other thing I've discovered is how quickly I have forgotten my "work life". After spending 27 years in Telecommunications, I seldom think about it after less than 90 days! I guess I was ready to go.

E86S54

Yep - it's so glorious not to have to adhere to a strict schedule - especially being free of other people's schedules! Still makes me smile 11 years later!

Audrey

All,

After only about 3 months of ER (I'm 47), I'm slowly discovering what ER really means to me.

To me ER means not being rushed. I absolutely hate been rushed from one place or thing to another. I enjoy the ability to change direction at any time and do whatever pops up (or nothing at all).

Also the other thing I've discovered is how quickly I have forgotten my "work life". After spending 27 years in Telecommunications, I seldom think about it after less than 90 days! I guess I was ready to go.

E86S54

Sometimes I am amazed at how much I have forgotten.

Le Chiam.

Good to know that it will only take me 90 days to forget about what will end up being 27 years with my company. It will be wonderful to not wake up to an alarm clock! Cograts on your retirement, and looking forward to mine :)

My DH has been home since Feb, retiring in June. I think he'd agree with you about not being rushed. He's been doing a lot of projects around the house. This kind of thing used to make him cranky because he'd have to do it all in the evenings or on the weekend. Now he doesn't care what day it is. He can start on something, finish if he wants or come back to it again tomorrow (AKA another Saturday).

Besides the garden and regular yard stuff he's been able to participate in getting estimates for new windows (I always handled things like this by myself) and washing down the siding before the windows get installed. He did the siding over 3 or 4 days, taking his time and adjusting for weather. He seemed to really enjoy this project.

He's also looked up recipes and tried a few things with our extra vegetables. He putters a lot, listening to radio talk shows while he "works" on stuff.

It's so nice to see him having a good time. He doesn't talk much about his former life. He's met a few former co-workers for birthday lunches and I think it just doesn't feel the same. Which is the whole point.

All,

E86S54

I am also 47 and have been ER for 22 months. I surely agree with you about not being rushed, especially in the morning trying to eat breakfast and catch a train. That often made me nauseous, something I don't miss any more. There is nothing about my former "work life" I miss, either, after 23 years of that (16 F/T and 7 P/T).

I don't miss the schedule, but I miss the sociopathic coworkers even less. The thought of them still there, stewing in their own filth, gives me endless satisfaction. It's a good thing I'm not bitter. ;)

I don't miss the schedule, but I miss the sociopathic coworkers even less. The thought of them still there, stewing in their own filth, gives me endless satisfaction. It's a good thing I'm not bitter. ;)

Too funny about the coworkers, I've already made a list of the ones I can't stand.... and won't miss at all!

I haven't been back on the base since retirement (a/o 30 Dec '04)

For me...I have just a shade over 3 years to go. The days I am off, (or on leave), and really enjoying myself, my mind keeps reflecting, and then I get this great feeling that soon this feeling and freedom will be permanent. I'm sure you folks understand and do that, too. It's funny how the mind switches back and forth.

I have a great life and friends...except for one undesirable thing that gets in the way of my life...I think Onward hit the nail on the head. Work is the only thing I have no real control over. Soon it and those people will soon be a memory. Nord's "Fog of Work".

One of the people on this forum wrote this (below)...Maybe you Khan or HaHa...it comes closest to the way I feel now of anything I have read. Whoever it was...Thank you! I think about it all the time.

"I've had friends who've asked me, "So what's retirement like?". My answer to them is, "Remember when you were a little kid...before the big people sent you to kindergarten? Remember those seemingly endless days of play? Those days when you got up and ate breakfast, then went out to play? Then you'd come in for lunch and a nap, and then go back out to play until supper time? Then after supper you'd go out to play until dark or until bedtime...whichever you could get away with? Then you'd start all over the next day? Well, that's what retirement is like!!!". "

One other cool thing about being retired is not being judged all the time. When I was w*rking, every action I took made me consciously or unconsciously think about what my bosses would think about it. How I dressed, what car I drove, whether I went to the bathroom :-\ - on and on.

Looking back, those annual reviews were like a hook in my flesh.

One other cool thing about being retired is not being judged all the time. When I was w*rking, every action I took made me consciously or unconsciously think about what my bosses would think about it. How I dressed, what car I drove, whether I went to the bathroom :-\ - on and on.

Looking back, those annual reviews were like a hook in my flesh.

That strikes a chord. I am pretty much unsackable (not because I'm fantastic, just because it's a government job) and I'm also not hunting for promotion. So there's no real up- or downside to any minor screwup or favour. Yet I find myself worrying about all kinds of details and what people will think (especially my boss's boss, who is a bit of a micro-manager as well as a fully paid-up technocrat; not a bad person, just someone who thinks that all issues can be solved with a plan, some rules, some training, and a steering committee), even though I could pretty much go into "f***-you mode" tomorrow. I guess it means either /a/ I still have standards, or /b/ I'm not as ready to FIRE as I thought I was...

One of the people on this forum wrote this (below)...Maybe you Khan or HaHa...it comes closest to the way I feel now of anything I have read. Whoever it was...Thank you! I think about it all the time.

"I've had friends who've asked me, "So what's retirement like?". My answer to them is, "Remember when you were a little kid...before the big people sent you to kindergarten? Remember those seemingly endless days of play? Those days when you got up and ate breakfast, then went out to play? Then you'd come in for lunch and a nap, and then go back out to play until supper time? Then after supper you'd go out to play until dark or until bedtime...whichever you could get away with? Then you'd start all over the next day? Well, that's what retirement is like!!!". "

I do not know who wrote that wonderful paragraph, though Goonie used to talk about the endless days of play after his retirement so I associate that idea with him. What a nice description.

For the past year I've had many evenings and weekends ruined because I was seething about some issue at work. Now that I've announced my retirement I'm hoping that all goes away. When I am retired in December it will definitely go away and I will not miss it.

So true. I have a friend ready to take his pension in about 4 years. All he talks about is getting another j*b and making money. Whatever. I used to talk that way. Then it just kind of hit me. I would rather enjoy myself. Money took a back seat to enjoying my life, doing what I want, when I want. I guess ER to me means freedom.

I don't miss work and rarely think about it. I still struggle with the feeling like I have some place to be, but it is delicious to remember I don't.

Monday, DW took advantage of her ESR and we went bowling at 9:00 am. We were the youngest people there, by far! It was a blast. I even felt a little under the weather, but when you're retired so what? You can rest anytime you feel like. By the time we were done, I felt better. If I was still w*rking I would have either dragged my carcass into work and hated it, or stayed home and felt guilty.

I would rather spend some time figuring out how to make my pension go further than spend my time working for more money. Someone once said something like once you get a taste of ER, you will find ways to stay ER. I agree. I am in that mode.

And I love that kindergarten quote. It is like being a kid again.

Pointless rambling over. :cool:

I would rather spend some time figuring out how to make my pension go further than spend my time working for more money. Someone once said something like once you get a taste of ER, you will find ways to stay ER. I agree. I am in that mode.

I was always the one watching expenses and trying to figure out the least expensive way to do things. DH is starting to do that now. He's been taking an OTC joint supplement for years. Today he said that he read that studies show it may not be as effective as they thought. He decided that when his current supply runs out he'll go without and see if he notices any difference. That may be $15/mo. I like the way he's thinking.

Pointless rambling over.

You're on an ER forum. Pointless rambling is encouraged.

It will mean I won't die young of stress-induced illness.

Retiring while I am relatively healthy was one of the reasons I chose to ER at this time. I had a health scare last year and we've had a number of family members have serious health issues.

Hey thank you...W2R! I have bookmarked the thread! That paragraph is a classic and I have never forgotten it.

CONTENTED - Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger?
funny-pictures-contented

It is interesting how the viewpoint changes with FI. While I chose to take on another job, it is not something that I have to do. The work environment can be, to some, a bit tense but that rolls over me. It is a "tempest in a teapot" type of thing that I have the freedom to ignore. I do my work professionally, but it does not define who I am.

Talking about it the other day with another retiree who also works there, we're on the same page. Both savers, and pretty much in the same position financially, we both have a retirement income so all the essentials are covered. The extra income is mostly padding the savings and buy some toys; we both bought motorcycles, for example. So if the job isn't there next week that will be little more than a disappointment and perhaps not even that. Neither will be terribly upset about it.

The gamble of course is that I'll be around to enjoy the results of the padded savings. But isn't that the gamble from day one? I knew one guy who died from cancer at age 24, another young woman at age 33, and it's pretty much a sure bet that within 40 years I'll be pushing up daisies.

But in between? Sort of like market timing...

Such a wondrous quote, about being a kid again. I often joked throughout my life that I either never wanted to grow up, or I never did grow up, I believe DW has a HO on the specifics, but what a great way to look at it, and indeed the way we live it. We do sleep late, we do take naps, we do pretty much play all day at whatever we want, and we do stay out (or up) as late as we please.

Now I've got a succinct way to explain it to non ER onlookers that ask that inevitable question...

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom