Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is my daily omelet pan.

Anolon Nouvelle Copper - 8.5-Inch French Skillet #82515 - Anolon.com

I've been using this one for a few years and it's great. The copper core retains and distributes the heat very nicely. It's nonstick for eggs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I got DH a set of 4 Griswolds from the 1950s off e-Bay for Christmas in 2013. I did some research and they aren't as prized as the 1930s ones (apparently the quality went down when iron was needed to make weapons in WW 2) but better than the ones made after they merged with another company and still great for cooking. Bonus: Mom told me that my great-grandmother and her sister worked as servants in the Griswold household.

We use one or more of them daily and the cornbread DH makes in the larger pan is fantastic. We rarely buy each other presents, but when DH mentioned the story of his GF taking his cast-iron pans that he'd bought from the maker at a craft fair (he was out of the house when she removed "her" things after the breakup), a light bulb went off in my head. I'm so glad I found them easily and at a good price.
All my Griswold finds have been individual, mostly yard sale, finds, so a mix of early and later pieces, but the difference in weight and fineness of casting between their stuff and modern cast iron is dramatic. The large logo stuff is just a notch lighter and better yet. Casting iron seems to be something done with more skill earlier - have a couple old non-Griswold or Wagner pans that, to my eye and hand, are their equal.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

A few years ago, I treated myself to a Demeyere Atlantis 7-layer stainless frying pan, and it works great. Definitely the best piece of cookware I've ever bought. Pricy, but worth every penny.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I've used an All-Clad skillet for the last 10 or 12 years. It gets used at least once every day, frequently two or three times.

I noticed the non-stick coating was starting to deteriorate about 5 years ago, and was happy to note that they do honor their warranty. I sent it back and they sent me a new one at no charge.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #25

A few years ago we bought a non-stick pan by Caphalon. It was somewhere between $50-75 so although not super expensive, it wasn't what I considered cheap. However we were disappointed by how fast it lost it's non-stick surface.

This christmas I was given the all-clad stainless steel saute pan Midpack listed above. I'm hoping this basically lasts the rest of my life.

If we settle down and get a permanent location, I'd like to get a cast iron fry pan and maybe a wok as well.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #26

My most-used skillet in an 8-inch Revere Ware copper core stainless steel number inherited from my parents (probably 50 years old). For whatever reason anything I cook in it turns out perfectly, especially omelets.

My second most-used skillet is a 12-inch stainless steel Cuisinart that is about 30 years old. I also have various All Clad and Griswold skillets (the latter from family's old cottage on Lake Erie). They are in boxes in the garage. I have a wok-ring that fits on my gas burner, and I use that occasionally with an All Clad stainless wok for stir fries when I have company for dinner (in other words, rarely used). I don't care for non-stick cookware.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

+ a million on a good cast iron skillet. I have a large one, about 70 years old that I treat better than my family. It stays on the cooktop at all times.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #28
Administrator

Also an All Clad fan here but for non-stick, I have Scan pan that is amazing and durable. The coating is not your typical silverstone or other teflon-ish coating - it's durable and you can use metal utensils. The Classic models have the most comfortable handles. They are not cheap but it's the last non-stick pan you'll ever buy.

Classic Open Stock ScanpanCookware.com
Old 01-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #29
Administrator

I used cast iron when I was young but now that type of skillet is too heavy for me.

Right now I am using stainless steel Circulon skillets with a hard anodized finish.

Advantages:
- - Eggs and other dishes just slide off of them magically, nothing sticks
- - You can use metal utensils
- - They are oven safe to 400F
- - They earned Consumer Reports' highest score for cooking evenness
- - They have "W2R Approved" handles that won't burn your hand, feel comfortable in one's hand
- - They aren't insanely expensive
- - They are light enough for my 66-year-old wrists
- - Handles have rings on the end that make them easy to hang up on my pot rack

Disadvantages:
- - They can't be washed in the dishwasher! Food does just slide off so it isn't a big deal, but I still wash them by hand.
- - When you have perfectly good skillets with one little flaw like this, it's hard to persuade oneself to look for or buy something better without that flaw. It just seems, well, wrong!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

Just converted to a 2 skillet strategy:

Caphalon or other no name non-stick for low temp like eggs. I think temperatures required for searing destroy the non-stick, no matter what brand.

Le Creuset enameled cast iron pan for high temperature searing, stir fry etc.
So far I haven't had any issues with seasoning/cleaning, much better than this lazy cook feared.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Hmm - I'm an equal opportunity burner.

Cast Iron, Teflon, Stainless, Ceramic - I do good, so so and bad on all types.

Right now using a ceramic the Wife got sold(in contrast to bought) in Port Townsend, WA which should tell you it wasn't a bargain.

However it cooks well - BUT as warned it cooks hotter than other types so lower settings are required than one is used too.

And yes I have burned stuff.

heh heh heh - practice practice practice. "men are chefs, women are cooks" has varied interpretation, and in real life means her cooking is cosistantly better and or sometimes we eat out at the last minute.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
+ a million on a good cast iron skillet. I have a large one, about 70 years old that I treat better than my family. It stays on the cooktop at all times.
+ ∞ on a good, well-seasoned cast iron skillet. Most versatile piece of cookware I own. I inherited mine from DM and it gets used everyday. I also keep mine on the stove top at all times and it is meticulously maintained.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #33

All Clad. And I use a tiny greenpan for one egg over easy. All my All Clad's are non-stick (stainless) but if I heat the pan enough (which seems to be the trick) and add butter some butter, eggs do not stick at all.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #34

We've been using a non-stick sort of heavy aluminum set made in China (I just went to look). Unlike many Chinese made things these turned out to be good quality, are 12 years old and are still fine. DW wanted a new set when we were setting up in WV and the aluminum set that I bought at Sears in 1974 had seen better days.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #35

Be careful - Teflon and some other non-stick surfaces can give off fumes (which you can't see or smell) that are deadly to birds. I have a parakeet. I have a set of Emeril cookware that I bought about 8 years ago. They were very inexpensive and they work.

Like my old golf instructor said when I bought a new (expensive !) set of golfclubs- "if you don't know how to hit the ball it doesn't matter what club you use"
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHoper View Post
Just converted to a 2 skillet strategy:

Caphalon or other no name non-stick for low temp like eggs. I think temperatures required for searing destroy the non-stick, no matter what brand.

Le Creuset enameled cast iron pan for high temperature searing, stir fry etc.
1+ Recently acquired two Caphalon fry pans for everyday use, great for low to moderate heat, everyday stuff. But for high heat prep like searing steaks, can't beat the heavy cast iron Le Creuset griddle pan. Bought a set of Le Crueset for DW's Christmas gift a couple of years ago, it is beautiful and highly functional, but tends to be more fit for specific purposes than everyday use.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I cook every day. (If I only had one pan) For most things I use a 10" All-Clad non stick pan.

For larger and/or higher temp cooking, an All-Clad stainless sauté pan.

And for some higher temp items, a basic cast iron Lodge skillet pan is ideal. After 40 years, it's still as good as new.
That last one, seasoned, is the best ever for fried eggs.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Cookware is one of those “buy well – buy for life” items. About 25 years ago someone gave us a six piece set of Teflon on aluminum pot and pans as a wedding gift. It was from a major retailor where we were registered. We returned the unopened box and traded it for credit towards a quality stainless pot and stainless sauce pan. Through the years we have acquired all the cookware we need (probably too much) but we still use those two original items several times a week. And yes, they still look good!

Buy good pro quality stainless steel cookware and you will never regret it. (Of course wait for sales!)

Another item I cannot imagine being without is a good cast iron skillet. If you can’t poach an older seasoned one from your grandmother then buy new and research on how to season it well, then treat it right. You will never go back to Teflon again.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #39

True story, you couldn't make this up. We were given a Lodge cast iron frying pan, by a neighbor who caught some illegal travellers cooking wild bird seed in it in their guest house. It had been left on the stove for a very long time unattended. I spent a bunch of elbow grease on it, and it is good as new.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

These are the standards I remember from culinary school.

1. Copper pan with a tin lining. The tin will eventually wear out and can be recoated.
2. Aluminum
3. Stainless steel, many advertise copper bottoms. Many just have a copper lining on the bottom.
4. Cast Iron

The reasons behind the list is that heat transfers quicker and more evenly for the ones at the top of the list. If you love cooking breakfast and especially eggs, get a 6" saute pan made of copper with a tin lining.

This is all very nit picky and just my 2 cents.