Hotel Breakfasts - Post Corona Crisis

The town we’re in has a Comfort Inn, a Best Western Plus, and some local places that look like pay by the hour motels. So we’re already in the best of what’s available. Having said that, I wouldn’t upgrade hotels just to get a good breakfast anyway. Easy to buy stuff in the grocery store such as yogurt and fruit, or go to a restaurant if we want a hot breakfast.

If you have a long day of driving in front of you, upgrading to get a good breakfast conveniently before you hit the road can be a good choice.

It's a personal preference I don't really like eating fast food in my car or eating anything while we are driving.

On our own, we stayed in Novotels in London and Paris. Definitely mid-range, room like a sardine can, but oh, those breakfasts! :eek:

So, if they were still lavish in 2019, perhaps there is hope for the future.

Actually, the places I was thinking of are definitely not "finer hotels", just mid-range. I'm often just blown away by their breakfast rooms. But we haven't been over there since 2019 so I hope things haven't changed by the time we eventually get back.

Wow, it just occurred to me that it's been three years since we stayed in a hotel. First time we got off the rock was June and we're staying in the homestead now - Breakfast is whatever I fix. Only other travel was to Big Island in early '20 when we stayed with friends. Breakfast was GREAT! YMMV

Things are changing.
We stayed at a Hampton Inn last month and they had the old traditional hot breakfast buffet (eggs, sausage, etc.) just like they used to.

+1 I stayed t a Hampton Inn last Friday night and on Saturday morning had a prepared omlet (which wasn't hot enough), toast, coffee, etc. very similar to pre-pandemic. Ditto for when we traveled north from Florida in May.

The best breakfast buffets tend to be in Europe. I can think of a half dozen hotels over there (my favorites) that have incredible breakfasts. Ten times better than the best I've ever seen in this country.

I’ll raise you Europe with China. Normal Western options, some Chinese ones and throw in the random, ice cream, a chocolate fountain to dip your churro like donut in.

I travel a lot for work, and we started traveling again in July of 2020. As we stay multiple days I tend to bring my own coffee (a pot when driving stuff to pour over when flying) so I don’t have to ask for room coffee. I find it really varies as someone else said. The residence inn in DC last fall had a good grab and go, 2 options one egg and meat, one Greek yougurt both with a pastry and piece of fruit), some the crappy free breakfast I’d skip anyway. Most expected you to take it back to your room to eat vs in the lobby.

One of the wonderful things about European hotels is that they often have a Nespresso machine in the room, and another in the breakfast area. We enjoyed it so much on our Europe trips that we eventually bought one for home.

Yeah the most elaborate breakfast was in Singapore, with both Western and Asian buffets.

It was included in the room rate but they charged some people like $40.

You can expect anything under the sun.

DW and I just got back from CA wine country yesterday. We spent a four days in a Fairfield Suites where they had a normal breakfast buffet selection. Omelets with a sausage side, omelets with a Canadian bacon side, rotated every other day. No bacon, however, due to some new fangled CA law, about animal cruelty. Didn't delve into it, just nodded and went about our business. We then went to a B&B, where we had a sit down breakfast outside on the patio, away from the other guests who were vaxxed, we are not. Wonderful full service breakfast with several courses. We then went to a VRBO for a week, where we made breakfast ourselves, of course. On the trip home, our flight had to make a emergency landing, which delayed our flight into Chicago, and we missed connections. We spent the night in another Fairfield, where individual wrapped selections ( muffins, hard boiled eggs, bagels, etc.), and individual fruits ( oranges, apples, pears) were in open bowls. Both Fairfields had large self serve coffee pots.

Omelets with a sausage side, omelets with a Canadian bacon side, rotated every other day. No bacon, however, due to some new fangled CA law, about animal cruelty. Didn't delve into it, just nodded and went about our business.
Hmmm - what is the difference between Canadian bacon and bacon? Both come from harvesting pigs. One is the loin, the other the pork belly. Both are cured. Bacon is also smoked. The only difference I see is that regular bacon is smoked.

The only difference I see is that regular bacon is smoked.

I know nothing about California law but the other big difference is that Canadian bacon is much leaner and I think California authorities have a dim view of anything containing fat.

American, Canadian, English, Irish, Scottish bacons are all somewhat different (to me anyway) but they all count as bacon and they're all good!

I don't care for American bacon because it's mostly fat, which to me has an unpleasant mouth feel. But the meatier kinds from Canada and the UK are tasty, and make a great breakfast sandwich.

American, Canadian, English, Irish, Scottish bacons are all somewhat different (to me anyway) but they all count as bacon and they're all good!

I've done some traveling since the Spring and I try to get hotels that include breakfast with the room. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. :)

If breakfast is your favorite meal of the day, i sure wouldn't waste it in what they serve at hotels. Go to a nice diner or something and get a real breakfast.

I don't care for American bacon because it's mostly fat, which to me has an unpleasant mouth feel. But the meatier kinds from Canada and the UK are tasty, and make a great breakfast sandwich.

Well, I make my own bacon, and we think it is outstanding, which is why I keep making it.

Attachments

• 5B1B1FFA-C5C9-4D1E-9D98-390333B210FA.jpg
    5B1B1FFA-C5C9-4D1E-9D98-390333B210FA.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 28
Another reason CA has a very high COL. Pork may not even be available soon, and will definitely become much more expensive. Hope our voters are happy about this.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/07/31/bacon-pigs-california-law/

OK, I get it.

At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules. Unless the courts intervene or the state temporarily allows non-compliant meat to be sold in the state, California will lose almost all of its pork supply, much of which comes from Iowa, and pork producers will face higher costs to regain a key market.

DH and I try to avoid factory farmed meat and are happy to pay up for pasture raised whatever, and delighted to find it, heritage breeds etc. But I understand that many people can’t afford it.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. CA voters did overwhelmingly choose it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The hotel we stayed in last month offered hard boiled egg, yogurt with granola, OJ, packaged blueberry muffins, bagel and cream cheese instead of their usual hot breakfast.
It was presented well to our room on a tray with regular china and cutlery!

No places offer organic eggs do they?

Certainly would raise costs with the volume of eggs they must use.

Well I suppose they wanted more humane conditions for livestock.

Most voters do not consider any downstream implications of things they vote for in CA. For example, CA voters decriminalized petty theft of property worth less than $950. Now petty crime is completely out of control. Bikes are stolen constantly and car break-ins are very common. Police won’t make arrests because they know the thieves won’t be prosecuted.

No places offer organic eggs do they?

Certainly would raise costs with the volume of eggs they must use.

Sure they do. Some restaurants make it very clear if they are offering cage free and/or organic eggs and other items. Yes it might cost more, but there's a market for it, depending on the hotel and their clientele.

Your bacon looks like ham! I'm sure it is delicious.

Well, I make my own bacon, and we think it is outstanding, which is why I keep making it.

Back
Top Bottom