Hotel Breakfasts - Post Corona Crisis

It’s hot smoked (fully cooked) which is why it looks like ham, but it tastes like bacon. It still fries up beautifully.

I do get rid of some excess salt before smoking, so it’s not so salty which we prefer.

Most voters do not consider any downstream implications of things they vote for in CA. For example, CA voters decriminalized petty theft of property worth less than $950. Now petty crime is completely out of control. Bikes are stolen constantly and car break-ins are very common. Police won’t make arrests because they know the thieves won’t be prosecuted.

As the OP who started this thread, may I ask that issues such as the above one be taken to another thread or site. I don't want to invite Porky as he is probably already upset with the bacon and sausage offered at many hotel hot breakfasts. And I am finding this thread very entertaining and useful.

We went to Maine in June and stayed at a Hyatt Place. The breakfast was really very good considering they could not do a big buffet. They had egg sandwiches with ham, bacon or sausage on either a biscuit or english muffin. They had really good yogurt, fruit and granola parfaits, fresh fruit, bagels, muffins, oatmeal and a variety of cereals. They also offered a variety of juices and coffee all day.

It was certainly an easy way for a family to start the day.

Last edited:
I have stayed in around 15 hotels over the last 6 weeks for work. Most offer nothing "due to covid". Some offer a cold bag of garbage. A couple had sausage, omelette, waffles and such. I stayed mostly at Wyndam hotels like Super 8 and Days Inn so nothing higher end. Maybe higher end hotels pffer a better breakfast. I think they are just using covid as an excuse to be cheap as there is no reason to limit the breakfast because of covid anymore.

As the OP who started this thread, may I ask that issues such as the above one be taken to another thread or site. I don't want to invite Porky as he is probably already upset with the bacon and sausage offered at many hotel hot breakfasts. And I am finding this thread very entertaining and useful.

Sorry, sure.

Fun thread!
My best/worst for this past spring's road trip:
Best: Hyatt Place in Moab. Hot wrapped breakfast burritos with legit green and red salsa packets, oatmeal cups, warm banana compote made with brown sugar, choice of different kinds of milk and cold cereal cups, two kinds of fresh fruit, serve-yourself coffee and many flavors of Tazo teas. Plus, the young man at the service window was stoned and loaded up my voracious husband with multiple burritos.

Worst: La Quinta by Wyndham at Zion Park. A bag containing Lucky Charms, milk, Nature Valley granola bars, a cellophane-wrapped muffin, Red Delicious apple, and orange juice. Impossible to hike more than a mile on this much sugar. I paired my milk with oatmeal brought from home and saved the Lucky Charms for evening TV snacks because they are Not A Meal.

I've spend a week at that La Quinta in Zion and the breakfast was great...

Knowing Springdale, this either a Covid issue or a staffing issue.

Definitely a covid issue; they were limiting access to the pickup area to one guest at a time. Not blaming them for doing the grab & go, just wish it had been more nutritious.

If breakfast is your favorite meal of the day, i sure wouldn't waste it in what they serve at hotels. Go to a nice diner or something and get a real breakfast.

That's an option but if you have miles to cover it can take too much time. If it's just one night we bring stuff from home. If it's a multi day trip we stop at a grocery store on arrival and get bagels, fruit, yogurt, etc and use the fridge and microwave in the room if we have leftovers from supper. We also take along granola bars, nuts, etc. She makes a lunch that we eat on the road.

Unless the breakfast is very nice we just grab a bagel and maybe a hard boiled egg, fill our travel mugs with coffee and hit the road and supplement that with stuff we brought from home.

We just did a 1,400 mile road trip through WA, OR, and ID. Here were our experiences:
- Comfort Inn (Hermiston, Oregon). Hot sausage, eggs, and bisquits. Waffle and pancake machines were both out of service. Normal selection of muffins, cereals, and yogurt.

- Springhill Suites (Boise, ID). This was our most "upscale" and expensive hotel. No hot breakfast at all (just microwavable sandwiches). We were told it was due to a staff shortage. Prepackaged cereal, danishes, and yogurt.

- Holiday Inn Express (Lewiston, ID). Full "pre-covid" hot breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausage, etc.) plus those yummy Holiday Inn cinnamon rolls.

This was my first trip/vacation since February 2020 and I had been getting stir crazy. I am retiring in a month or so, and have been fantasizing about road trips. Now...maybe not so much.

I forget how empty and hilly much of the Pacific Northwest is outside of the metro areas and the hotel situation left a lot to be desired (in our price range of $200 and below). In the future I'll probably just fly to an area of the country and rent a car for day trips.

The breakfasts offered by hotels are super high carb! The grab bags are the worst - generally all carbs.

That’s why we carry our own.

Stayed at the Tru hotel by Hilton 2 days a couple of weeks ago in Savanah. Breakfast we the same as before Covid or at least was the same as at a Hampton before Covid. Eggs, Sausage, Pancakes (not waffles), fruit, cereal, bagels, English muffins, toast, OJ, Milk and coffee. I was happy. Not the greatest but what I was expecting.

Spending the night in a Townplace Suites by Marriott next week in Pittsburgh, wondering what I will get there. Reviews from a month ago were saying bagged breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom