Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Scanpan

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use cast iron for steak. I have Teflon, and stainless clad pans also. However for breakfast, I have found nano ceramic can't be beat. Just a little butter, and I mean a little, i.e. with the pan warm just move a stick of butter around in the pan to lightly coat. Fried eggs with the lid on, great. Omelets never stick. Deconstructed omelets, all the stuff mixed in the pan, including cheese, never sticks. Ours look like these:

These are my goto pans now! Had the smaller one for over a year and no scratches. They are so easy to clean they never go into the dishwasher. I have never had anything stick.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:57 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use the same frying pan as Midcap: All-Clad which even goes in the dishwasher. I have a glass top range so cast iron even if flat bottom is not suitable.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
Scanpan

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

+1. I have several now and love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

I use cast iron 'La Cruisset' it's pricey but I picked mine up 1/2off and it last forever. I cook eggs in butter and for frying fajitas etc I use Grapeseed oil which has a higher smoking point than olive oil and is very healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got two cast iron skillets I've used for over 30 years and relatives used many years before that. They are my go to but do need re seasoning occasionally. All meats go in it unless stir frying and then it's a non stick TFall.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #47

Wait...I use cast iron frying pans nearly every day on my glass top stove. Or whatever that stuff is called from the 80s...."Ceran"?

What is the problem I've been missing? Hmmmm.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #48

A few scanpans. They're awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #49
gone traveling

A little sideways from this topic but I enjoy cooking too and I think having a gas stove is as or maybe more important than the skillets you use. Just never have liked electric stoves.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
A little sideways from this topic but I enjoy cooking too and I think having a gas stove is as or maybe more important than the skillets you use. Just never have liked electric stoves.
Although I agree with you, I think this is akin to the "charcoal" v. "gas" grill debate. :-)

We had gas in an apartment for one year while still in school. Took us 23 years, but we eventually got around to gutting a kitchen (and the surrounding house) and going back to gas. Just wish it hadn't taken so long...
Old 01-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I purchased a set of Revereware (copper bottom) when I was a newlywed back in 1984. I bought them piece by piece at very low cost from the Revere discount outlet in a town nearby.
I can abuse them and they still come clean after a nice long soak. They are obviously dishwasher safe. I periodically use Bartenders Friend brand powder cleaner and a steel wool pad for inside and out.
I also have non stick pans for the occasional omelet.
And of course, a 10 inch cast iron for steaks and burgers. I use plain hot water to clean it. I season the cast iron pan after every time I use it, and put it on the gas burner for 10 minutes at high heat to make sure no food residue survives.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #52

What kind of frying pan do you use?

I have no idea what type of frying pan my wife uses. I only know it's heavy, can move very quickly and hurts

Old 01-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
I have no idea what type of frying pan my wife uses. I only it's heavy, can move very quickly and hurts
Old 01-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I started using Ceramic Pans about a year ago and I have been very happy.

I bought low cost ceramic pans and they work great for me. Scan Pans are high-end ceramic pans, so I'm sure they are wonderful. Also, ceramic are thought to be healthier because you are not consuming any flaked off teflon.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I use a steel wok myself. DH likes his teflon pan which he finally agreed to replace with something anodized. I have a cast iron skillet I use sometimes when I feel tired for the extra iron content (and use on a glass top range).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have six different pans and each is used for different styles of cooking. Two are cast iron, an 8 inch and a large ci pan. We have a small, medium and large non stick soufflé pans, a flat bottom short sided non stick. The medium and large soufflé pans have vented glass lids.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I forgot I also have an Instant Pot from Amazon with a saute feature. I cook what I can in there. It heats up very fast and is a real energy saver compared to the range top. And I have been trying to remember to use my stainless steel, electric wok more. It uses less energy than the stove top wok.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #58

Cast iron skillet handed down from my granny. She got it in the early 1920s.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #59

I prefer round.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
I prefer round.
Only in plan view. Otherwise it might roll off the stove and across the floor.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote