What kind of frying pan do you use?

I purchased a set of Revereware (copper bottom) when I was a newlywed back in 1984. I bought them piece by piece at very low cost from the Revere discount outlet in a town nearby.
I can abuse them and they still come clean after a nice long soak. They are obviously dishwasher safe. I periodically use Bartenders Friend brand powder cleaner and a steel wool pad for inside and out.
I also have non stick pans for the occasional omelet.
And of course, a 10 inch cast iron for steaks and burgers. I use plain hot water to clean it. I season the cast iron pan after every time I use it, and put it on the gas burner for 10 minutes at high heat to make sure no food residue survives.

I have no idea what type of frying pan my wife uses. I only know it's heavy, can move very quickly and hurts

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I started using Ceramic Pans about a year ago and I have been very happy.

I bought low cost ceramic pans and they work great for me. Scan Pans are high-end ceramic pans, so I'm sure they are wonderful. Also, ceramic are thought to be healthier because you are not consuming any flaked off teflon.

Last edited:
I use a steel wok myself. DH likes his teflon pan which he finally agreed to replace with something anodized. I have a cast iron skillet I use sometimes when I feel tired for the extra iron content (and use on a glass top range).

We have six different pans and each is used for different styles of cooking. Two are cast iron, an 8 inch and a large ci pan. We have a small, medium and large non stick soufflé pans, a flat bottom short sided non stick. The medium and large soufflé pans have vented glass lids.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I forgot I also have an Instant Pot from Amazon with a saute feature. I cook what I can in there. It heats up very fast and is a real energy saver compared to the range top. And I have been trying to remember to use my stainless steel, electric wok more. It uses less energy than the stove top wok.

Cast iron skillet handed down from my granny. She got it in the early 1920s.

I use the All Clad stainless as others have detailed here.
There are times I miss my cast iron skillet but it doesn't work as well on my stove.
That said, not getting rid of them. Never know when my stove may change!

You all had me wondering....since I only cook rarely...and it happens on the barbie (Weber).

Looking in the kitchen cabinet, I see three old metal frying pans that are not ceramic, not cast iron, not expensive looking, and not Revere ware. They came along when DW and I married 16 years ago (2nd time for both). Apparently, we were both so poor that neither of us had any decent cookware. :LOL: But I guess we didn't notice.

So now I have a good idea what to buy DW for Valentines day!:D:dance:

I normally use the non-stick restaurant quality 10" fry pan I got at a garage sale for $3
I've used cast iron all my life, but they are heavy.
I still use the one that's over 90 yrs old, used my my grandmother and mother.

I see these wonderful quality things at garage sales and am amazed folks don't want them.
Of course I had to buy a wooden handled cast iron fry pan at another garage sale for $5 as it was just too nice to pass up.

Primarily Stainless - I got a small and large one at the local restaurant supply house. Walking around that place is almost as fun as a trip to Home Depot! :)

I used cast iron when I was young but now that type of skillet is too heavy for me.

Right now I am using stainless steel Circulon skillets with a hard anodized finish.

Advantages:
- - Eggs and other dishes just slide off of them magically, nothing sticks
- - You can use metal utensils
- - They are oven safe to 400F
- - They earned Consumer Reports' highest score for cooking evenness
- - They have "W2R Approved" handles that won't burn your hand, feel comfortable in one's hand
- - They aren't insanely expensive
- - They are light enough for my 66-year-old wrists
- - Handles have rings on the end that make them easy to hang up on my pot rack

Disadvantages:
- - They can't be washed in the dishwasher! Food does just slide off so it isn't a big deal, but I still wash them by hand.
- - When you have perfectly good skillets with one little flaw like this, it's hard to persuade oneself to look for or buy something better without that flaw. It just seems, well, wrong! :ROFLMAO:

W2R---I'm looking at the Circulon's, and they have all these raised circles in the bottom of the skillets. Does food ever stick in-between the grooves of the circles, and if it does, is it hard to get out? Thanks in advance.

W2R---I'm looking at the Circulon's, and they have all these raised circles in the bottom of the skillets. Does food ever stick in-between the grooves of the circles, and if it does, is it hard to get out? Thanks in advance.

No, in fact those circles seem to somehow keep the food from sticking at all. That is what they are for. I usually lightly spray first with a little olive oil in a Misto sprayer, and so far nothing has ever stuck either on or in between the grooves. Things just slide off. But I still have to wash it, by hand, to get any olive oil or grease off.

(This is the misto sprayer, click on picture for link to misto on Amazon)

Another disadvantage that I forgot to include, is that you aren't supposed to use high heat. So, I turn the burner down a bit.

Last edited:
For scrambled eggs and omelets which require gentle heat, I use Scan Pan or Swiss Diamond nonstick pans. For hash browns and other potatoes that require high heat, I like Lodge cast iron or Le Creuset enamel cast iron.

Cooking is one of my favorite past times.

In the heat of summer, I use my magnetic All-Clad pans and a portable induction cooktop to reduce the heat release into the kitchen.

Since 1958... wedding present. RevereWare. Today 56 years later, just like the day we opened the package.
Now... DW likes Bobby Flay fry pans, but my favorite was the ceramic ? that we left in FL.

What next? Knives?

Wife prefers stainless steel. I've recently discovered a preference for cast iron. So we have both in our little kitchen... Mine relegated to an out of the way spot, since she cooks more frequently. It heats so evenly and maintains it so well!

We also keep one Teflon coated pan.

For a great stainless steel made in America product, check out 360 Cookware. However, I must say that it's over the top for eggs and such. Also, good stainless is like cast iron - very heavy. I was checking out some of that Swiss Diamond cookware the other day, and I think for a small pan for eggs, I would check that out.

Back
Top Bottom