What kind of frying pan do you use?

We use Cuisinart Multiclad Pro cookware.

Picked up a non-stick frying pan from Aldi a couple of years ago for $13. No lid, but we have others that fit closely enough. Worlds ahead of the old Teflon pans of yore. Have used this one almost daily so it's been thru the dishwasher many dozens of times. Not a speck of flaking. We use our very old Griswold cast iron for fried spuds or anytime we feel like a little more iron in our diet. Our higher-end stainless steel pans are virtually unused these days.

I got this 12" Lodge cast iron skillet from Amazon after only ever using non-stick. I considered either Lodge or All-Clad, but my frugal miser of a brain decided the $100 difference was better saved than spent, so Lodge won out. Then I negated my logic by spending half of that on the 7 quart dutch oven with a lid, so I could have a lid (and a giant dutch oven to make giant batches of chili and burrito fillings). The lid itself is like $30 alone.

I'm happy I got the 12" one, though we have a bit of a love/hate relationship. It weighs like 8 pounds. It takes a good 7-8 minutes to preheat with the coil electric stoves I've used. This thing is a beast. But it can hold so much more than the 10" skillets I had before, and it does everything except boil pasta.

I read so many complaints online about using cast iron for making eggs that I was really skeptical. They're supposed to stick like no one's business. I had that problem the first couple of times, then after that nothing. Maybe I just like to cook with more oil or butter than the people having issues.

The only time I have a problem is if I'm cooking meat and haven't let the pan get hot enough first. I'm tempted to get this infrared surface thermometer gun to make that less of a guessing game.

Wait...I use cast iron frying pans nearly every day on my glass top stove. Or whatever that stuff is called from the 80s...."Ceran"?

What is the problem I've been missing? Hmmmm.

Same here. I was happy to read your post to know I am not the only one ruining their stove top. :blink:

Allclad 10"&12" coated. Very nice, wouldn't spend the money again but I'm glad we have them every time I use them.

A Griswold cast iron pan my Grandmother and Mother used. It must be at least 100 years old. My Grandmother died 60 years ago.

How old is this thread? Because I think my answer has changed.

I usually use a Le Creuset enamel cast iron pan. But if I'm searing something that might seriously stick (fish mainly), then the Lodge cast iron is the only way to go - also fried eggs. Things like pork chops and seared steaks do fine in the enamel coated Le Creuset, and I like to deglaze the pan to pick up any of those good bits left behind. I don't like to do pan sauces in the cast iron.

Allclad 10"&12" coated. Very nice, wouldn't spend the money again but I'm glad we have them every time I use them.

AllClad as well. Both coated and non coated. I WOULD spend the money again! Exceptional heat control for touchy recipes.

DW and I joke that when the non coated "goes" we're going to have a small burial ceremony in the yard, thanking it for helping feed us for so many, many years.

Having said that, I got a nice 9 inch coated mongrel brand for $12 at Ocean State Job Lot that I use for quick frying eggs etc. Pretty indestructible and does the job. When the coating does wear off, another $12 will put me back in business.

Cast iron Lodge skillet. Works great on top of stove and also in the oven.

Scanpan, about 30 years old and still in great shape, comes with a lifetime warranty. Still have the steel cleaning pad that came with it.

I bought a Cerastone pan last January. It was inexpensive and has a nice, slick finish. It's been my favorite since I bought it and so far it's holding up really well. It doesn't hurt that it's metal flake, candy apple red, either (it's available in blue and boring gray, too). I have an induction cooktop, so I have to use steel bottomed pans.

I usually use a Le Creuset enamel cast iron pan. But if I'm searing something that might seriously stick (fish mainly), then the Lodge cast iron is the only way to go - also fried eggs. Things like pork chops and seared steaks do fine in the enamel coated Le Creuset, and I like to deglaze the pan to pick up any of those good bits left behind. I don't like to do pan sauces in the cast iron.
Same here, bought a heavily discounted set of Le Creuset for DW a few years back, think I use it more than she does! Works great for stove top searing and oven finishing of all sorts of tasty critter flesh, and then capturing the drippings for au juice. Everyday use tends to be aluminum pans with non-stick coatings, but they require low heat and careful handling to not destroy the coating in short order.

Allclad SS on gas stove. Works great and easy to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I currently use some AllClad-lookalikes (Kirkland!), stainless steel lined on an induction cooktop. These work very well. I have a nonstick coated 9" pan for the occasional omelette.

Has anyone tried the Black Cube frying pan? Other sizes are shown on Amazon:

Back
Top Bottom