What kind of frying pan do you use?

My most-used skillet in an 8-inch Revere Ware copper core stainless steel number inherited from my parents (probably 50 years old). For whatever reason anything I cook in it turns out perfectly, especially omelets.

My second most-used skillet is a 12-inch stainless steel Cuisinart that is about 30 years old. I also have various All Clad and Griswold skillets (the latter from family's old cottage on Lake Erie). They are in boxes in the garage. I have a wok-ring that fits on my gas burner, and I use that occasionally with an All Clad stainless wok for stir fries when I have company for dinner (in other words, rarely used). I don't care for non-stick cookware.

+ a million on a good cast iron skillet. I have a large one, about 70 years old that I treat better than my family. It stays on the cooktop at all times.

Also an All Clad fan here but for non-stick, I have Scan pan that is amazing and durable. The coating is not your typical silverstone or other teflon-ish coating - it's durable and you can use metal utensils. The Classic models have the most comfortable handles. They are not cheap but it's the last non-stick pan you'll ever buy.

Classic Open Stock ScanpanCookware.com

I used cast iron when I was young but now that type of skillet is too heavy for me.

Right now I am using stainless steel Circulon skillets with a hard anodized finish.

Advantages:
- - Eggs and other dishes just slide off of them magically, nothing sticks
- - You can use metal utensils
- - They are oven safe to 400F
- - They earned Consumer Reports' highest score for cooking evenness
- - They have "W2R Approved" handles that won't burn your hand, feel comfortable in one's hand
- - They aren't insanely expensive
- - They are light enough for my 66-year-old wrists
- - Handles have rings on the end that make them easy to hang up on my pot rack

Disadvantages:
- - They can't be washed in the dishwasher! Food does just slide off so it isn't a big deal, but I still wash them by hand.
- - When you have perfectly good skillets with one little flaw like this, it's hard to persuade oneself to look for or buy something better without that flaw. It just seems, well, wrong! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Hi,

Just converted to a 2 skillet strategy:

Caphalon or other no name non-stick for low temp like eggs. I think temperatures required for searing destroy the non-stick, no matter what brand.

Le Creuset enameled cast iron pan for high temperature searing, stir fry etc.
So far I haven't had any issues with seasoning/cleaning, much better than this lazy cook feared.

Hmm - I'm an equal opportunity burner.

Cast Iron, Teflon, Stainless, Ceramic - I do good, so so and bad on all types.

Right now using a ceramic the Wife got sold(in contrast to bought) in Port Townsend, WA which should tell you it wasn't a bargain.

However it cooks well - BUT as warned it cooks hotter than other types so lower settings are required than one is used too.

And yes I have burned stuff.

heh heh heh - practice practice practice. "men are chefs, women are cooks" has varied interpretation, and in real life means her cooking is cosistantly better and or sometimes we eat out at the last minute. ;)

+ a million on a good cast iron skillet. I have a large one, about 70 years old that I treat better than my family. It stays on the cooktop at all times.

+ ∞ on a good, well-seasoned cast iron skillet. Most versatile piece of cookware I own. I inherited mine from DM and it gets used everyday. I also keep mine on the stove top at all times and it is meticulously maintained.

All Clad. And I use a tiny greenpan for one egg over easy. All my All Clad's are non-stick (stainless) but if I heat the pan enough (which seems to be the trick) and add butter some butter, eggs do not stick at all.

We've been using a non-stick sort of heavy aluminum set made in China (I just went to look). Unlike many Chinese made things these turned out to be good quality, are 12 years old and are still fine. DW wanted a new set when we were setting up in WV and the aluminum set that I bought at Sears in 1974 had seen better days.

Be careful - Teflon and some other non-stick surfaces can give off fumes (which you can't see or smell) that are deadly to birds. I have a parakeet. I have a set of Emeril cookware that I bought about 8 years ago. They were very inexpensive and they work.

Like my old golf instructor said when I bought a new (expensive !) set of golfclubs- "if you don't know how to hit the ball it doesn't matter what club you use"

Just converted to a 2 skillet strategy:

Caphalon or other no name non-stick for low temp like eggs. I think temperatures required for searing destroy the non-stick, no matter what brand.

Le Creuset enameled cast iron pan for high temperature searing, stir fry etc.

1+ Recently acquired two Caphalon fry pans for everyday use, great for low to moderate heat, everyday stuff. But for high heat prep like searing steaks, can't beat the heavy cast iron Le Creuset griddle pan. Bought a set of Le Crueset for DW's Christmas gift a couple of years ago, it is beautiful and highly functional, but tends to be more fit for specific purposes than everyday use.

I cook every day. (If I only had one pan) For most things I use a 10" All-Clad non stick pan.
ALL-CLAD-D5-NONSTICK-FRY-PAN-2T.jpg

For larger and/or higher temp cooking, an All-Clad stainless sauté pan.
31TWB3J7THL.jpg

And for some higher temp items, a basic cast iron Lodge skillet pan is ideal. After 40 years, it's still as good as new.
lodge-cast-iron-pan-skillet.jpg.pagespeed.ce.ji21OpmpL7.jpg

That last one, seasoned, is the best ever for fried eggs.

Cookware is one of those “buy well – buy for life” items. About 25 years ago someone gave us a six piece set of Teflon on aluminum pot and pans as a wedding gift. It was from a major retailor where we were registered. We returned the unopened box and traded it for credit towards a quality stainless pot and stainless sauce pan. Through the years we have acquired all the cookware we need (probably too much) but we still use those two original items several times a week. And yes, they still look good!

Buy good pro quality stainless steel cookware and you will never regret it. (Of course wait for sales!)

Another item I cannot imagine being without is a good cast iron skillet. If you can’t poach an older seasoned one from your grandmother then buy new and research on how to season it well, then treat it right. You will never go back to Teflon again.

True story, you couldn't make this up. We were given a Lodge cast iron frying pan, by a neighbor who caught some illegal travellers cooking wild bird seed in it in their guest house. It had been left on the stove for a very long time unattended. I spent a bunch of elbow grease on it, and it is good as new.

These are the standards I remember from culinary school.

1. Copper pan with a tin lining. The tin will eventually wear out and can be recoated.
2. Aluminum
3. Stainless steel, many advertise copper bottoms. Many just have a copper lining on the bottom.
4. Cast Iron

The reasons behind the list is that heat transfers quicker and more evenly for the ones at the top of the list. If you love cooking breakfast and especially eggs, get a 6" saute pan made of copper with a tin lining.

This is all very nit picky and just my 2 cents.

I use cast iron for steak. I have Teflon, and stainless clad pans also. However for breakfast, I have found nano ceramic can't be beat. Just a little butter, and I mean a little, i.e. with the pan warm just move a stick of butter around in the pan to lightly coat. Fried eggs with the lid on, great. Omelets never stick. Deconstructed omelets, all the stuff mixed in the pan, including cheese, never sticks. Ours look like these:

61wxhktYZLL._SL1500_.jpg

These are my goto pans now! Had the smaller one for over a year and no scratches. They are so easy to clean they never go into the dishwasher. I have never had anything stick.

Last edited:
I use the same frying pan as Midcap: All-Clad which even goes in the dishwasher. I have a glass top range so cast iron even if flat bottom is not suitable.

I use cast iron 'La Cruisset' it's pricey but I picked mine up 1/2off and it last forever. I cook eggs in butter and for frying fajitas etc I use Grapeseed oil which has a higher smoking point than olive oil and is very healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got two cast iron skillets I've used for over 30 years and relatives used many years before that. They are my go to but do need re seasoning occasionally. All meats go in it unless stir frying and then it's a non stick TFall.

Wait...I use cast iron frying pans nearly every day on my glass top stove. Or whatever that stuff is called from the 80s...."Ceran"?

What is the problem I've been missing? Hmmmm.

A little sideways from this topic but I enjoy cooking too and I think having a gas stove is as or maybe more important than the skillets you use. Just never have liked electric stoves.

A little sideways from this topic but I enjoy cooking too and I think having a gas stove is as or maybe more important than the skillets you use. Just never have liked electric stoves.

Although I agree with you, I think this is akin to the "charcoal" v. "gas" grill debate. :)

We had gas in an apartment for one year while still in school. Took us 23 years, but we eventually got around to gutting a kitchen (and the surrounding house) and going back to gas. Just wish it hadn't taken so long...

Back
Top Bottom