what stores do/did you work at parttime after ER?

retiringat50

Recycles dryer sheets
Im thinking of getting a parttime job even though I have a 72T set up. Part for something to do, part for spending money.
I may apply at WalMart but not sure how they are to work for.
I have 10yrs fulltime library experience so also thinking of a bookstore but its farther distance.
Where have you worked parttime since ER?

Not exactly a store but I sell the goat milk soap from our little fun ranch at the local grower markets a couple times a week. Does that count?

Haven't started yet but I plan to part time at a Barnes and Noble this fall/winter. I don't really care if they pay me, but one of the perks of working there is that you can take home and read any hardback in the store, one at a time.

That will be worth it's weight in gold to me.

Haven't started yet but I plan to part time at a Barnes and Noble this fall/winter. I don't really care if they pay me, but one of the perks of working there is that you can take home and read any hardback in the store, one at a time.

That will be worth it's weight in gold to me.

REALLY?!? ::: puts B & N on the list::: :)

ta,
mews

I've worked at a delicatessen that offered all the food you could eat, at a hardware store and did the midnight to 8am shift on friday and saturday nights at a convenience store.

All well before ER. Back in my 20's when I wanted to get myself out of credit card debt.

Where have you worked parttime since ER?

I've personally avoided work like the plague since retiring. Two quick stories about guys who worked PT after retiring:

- the first worked at a Home Depot. He didn't last too long for two reasons: (1) the concrete floors killed him when he had to be on is feet all day; (2) they didn't put the schedules out very far in advance, so he found it very hard to plan other activities. So he finally went back to work doing computer programming (which he had done with the government) for a contractor doing work for his old agency.

- the second delivered flowers. I have another friend who always said he wanted to deliver flowers when he retired because you are either delivering them to (1) dead people at funeral homes who can't bitch at you; (2) living people who are happy to get the flowers so they don't bitch at you either. But the guy who got the flower delivery job (not the same one who thought it would be a neat job) found it very stressful because he had to go into a lot of areas he wasn't familiar with, kept getting lost and falling way behind schedule. So he got another "job sharing" job delivering documents between different branches of bank. (The banks were always in the same place every day, so once he figured out where they were, he didn't get lost.) He worked every other week on the job share deal and loved it.

My dad had shorts stints at WalMart and Menards (similar to Home Depot). Like friar's friend, he got stuck with crappy hours and not a lot of notice, and the lifting as well as the floors didn't work well at the hardware store. Plus just the people he was working with and for, and dealing with the public, got to him pretty quickly, especially at WallyWorld.

Now he volunteers at a hospital, and enjoys that.

Some people like Home Depot or Lowes for the employee discounts. HD offers bennies such as health insurance for those working over 20 hours/week.

In HS & college I worked at a gas station (back when they had people to pump the gas and check the oil) and that was generally all right, but the stupidity of some people astonished me. Like the guy who's car was leaking coolant so he cut off the offending heater hose and then wondered why the engine overheated.

Wally World may work, I gather it depends on the local store. The wife of a guy at work is employed there and she likes it but she's in management.

If you work part-time after you retire, are you still retired? Isn't retirement work some kind of oxymoron or something?

If you work part-time after you retire, are you still retired? Isn't retirement work some kind of oxymoron or something?
"Semi-retirement".

A couple retired shipmates work for U.S. Customs or bag groceries when they're saving for an extra trip or some other luxury. They say it helps them keep to their budget and avoid the gimmes... the reminders of what it's like to be working again are usually enough to help them realistically assess whether that desire adds value to their lives.

What was your personal firearm of choice. Or was the back in the day...

That's what I was thinking, too!! Yikes!! :eek:

But then on second thought, CFB probably lives in what is sometimes called the "Very High Rent District", or "Cadillac Country". Their convenience stores probably sell designer accessories, diamonds and such. ;)

My favorite part time job was working at a drive-up liquor store....that was fun. Then, the owners started letting people come in...too dangerous, so I said "see ya".

What was your personal firearm of choice. Or was the back in the day...

Actually it was a nice town but not that nice. I had three guys try to rob me. I had a baseball bat. Two ran. One wasnt that smart.

Lots of shoplifters. My favorite was the guy who came in around 2am so smashed he could barely stand up. He stood about 15 feet away and stared right at me while he started shoving stuff in his coat. I guess he figured since he couldnt see me very well, that it was reciprocal. When I yelled at him he jumped about 3', threw most of the stuff on the floor and ran out the door, fell on his ass and it took him 5 minutes to get up and continue his 'getaway'. I was laughing too hard to go get him.

Also had a gal that proudly announced that she was in that months Playboy "girls of..." the local college. Made sure I opened the issue up to double check and then gave me a live comparison, saying she didnt think the photos were very good. Thats about when her boyfriend came in to see what was taking so long. I made sure to tell the store manager that the previous nights surveillance film was worth watching.

All in all a very interesting job and shift. Lots of partiers, drunks and oddballs until around 2:30-3:00. Then nothing for 2 hours...would have been great for doing homework or studying. I just read. Then around 5 the truckers and early workers would all storm in for coffee and donuts.

If you get a job at Best Buy during the off-season it takes 60 days (I think) for your discount to become active. If you get a job during the holiday season then it's effective that day.

Cameras are still cheaper to get from B&H, but some stuff is worth it.

If you get a job at an insurance carrier and then buy an annuity, the commission is paid into your account. You generally get a discount on LTC and life insurance as well. Be sure to pick a good carrier.

Not exactly a store but I sell the goat milk soap from our little fun ranch at the local grower markets a couple times a week. Does that count?

Love this idea. We want to do the farmers market several years from now after we move and get the organic garden going. I'd love to do soap and other things as well. Are they hard to make? I really don't want the animals. I wonder if purchasing the milk is viable. I'd love to make cheese too.

How much acreage do you have?

Love this idea. We want to do the farmers market several years from now after we move and get the organic garden going. I'd love to do soap and other things as well. Are they hard to make? I really don't want the animals. I wonder if purchasing the milk is viable. I'd love to make cheese too.

How much acreage do you have?

We have seven acres in SW Oregon. 4 acres for the farm, barns and house proper and another 3 acres we use as a woodlot (we heat with wood). We have about a dozen goats in our permanent herd and milk about half of them at any one time. There is a ton of information on the web on soapmaking. My wife developed her own soap making recipe after two years of experimenting and this is what we have been selling at the growers markets for 6 years now. I always tell customers that ask me "it's not hard to make soap, it's very hard to make good soap"

You can purchase goat milk but its very expensive, particularly if you use a lot of it in the soap making (our soap is over 40% goat milk). Goat milk is very healthy and wonderful for cheese, yogurt, soap. I'm not sure if it's allowed or not but here is our website (moderator please let me know if this is a nono)About our soaps

We have seven acres in SW Oregon. 4 acres for the farm, barns and house proper and another 3 acres we use as a woodlot (we heat with wood). We have about a dozen goats in our permanent herd and milk about half of them at any one time. There is a ton of information on the web on soapmaking. My wife developed her own soap making recipe after two years of experimenting and this is what we have been selling at the growers markets for 6 years now. I always tell customers that ask me "it's not hard to make soap, it's very hard to make good soap"

You can purchase goat milk but its very expensive, particularly if you use a lot of it in the soap making (our soap is over 40% goat milk). Goat milk is very healthy and wonderful for cheese, yogurt, soap. I'm not sure if it's allowed or not but here is our website (moderator please let me know if this is a nono)About our soaps

There are local goat farms here in Ohio; I have purchased their meat and cheese and soap.

Don't know if they're allowed to sell milk.

Can you make butter from goat milk?

There are local goat farms here in Ohio; I have purchased their meat and cheese and soap.

Don't know if they're allowed to sell milk.

Can you make butter from goat milk?

It's possible but difficult because goat milk is naturaly finely homogenized. You need to use a cream separator which typically runs several hundred dollars.

Back to the OP -- a friend of mine works for REI in his spare time. He doesn't really need the money, but loves the employee discounts (he's a gear-head) and also helping people pick out products. He seems to enjoy it.

A former supervisor does income taxes in the spring months (with some large company) mainly to pay for his summer motorcycle trips.

Back to the OP -- a friend of mine works for REI in his spare time. He doesn't really need the money, but loves the employee discounts (he's a gear-head) and also helping people pick out products. He seems to enjoy it.
That's good to hear. REI is opening another store on the other side of the valley in Summerlin this November. Though too far to drive for a part-time job, it should open up some positions in their nearby Henderson store. As a member of the coop, I got a postcard a couple of weeks ago regarding job openings and have been thinking about applying. I haven't yet made the jump from thinking about it to doing it, however (I have longstanding issues with inertia;)). I don't really need the money either, but the REI employees I've encountered all seem pretty happy. Bad news is I guess I'd lose my "totally-retired" card, but the discount on gear and health insurance are both big pluses!

Allegedly three of the best places to work are REI, Costco and Trader Joes. All also offer pretty good benefits although I think none of them kick in unless you're full time or almost full time.

Back
Top Bottom