What to do after FIRE'd

Jost Van Dyke

Confused about dryer sheets
I understand this is a broad question so I will attempt to be more specific. I am 44, married, no kids and on track to be FIRE in 2018. At that point I'm not counting out the possibility of working part-time (something I look forward to doing), volunteering or going back to school. Of course there is the travel & leisure element but I'm not planning on sitting on the porch watching the grass grow. I'm one of those that has yet to discover what I want my life to look like after 2018. All I know is that I wish to hang up the suit and tie for good. I'm hoping some of you may have been in a similar situation and can share some websites, books etc that you found helpful in your journey.

What do you do (after completing chores) in your spare weekend time? Maybe that is something you would like to have more time to do.

Before I retired in 2009, I was very concerned that I might be bored or floundering somehow in retirement. I compiled a list of 22 (or was it 24?) things I wanted to do if I had more time. They were widely varied, but included such things as learning Spanish, growing roses, writing a book for the fun of it, volunteering with groups that help older seniors than me, and more. That list remains, untouched, on the desktop of my other computer. I just don't have time for any of it, yet.

So my suggestion is DO make a list like that, DO read the books recommended in previous posts, but also have an open mind about it because you may find that retirement is rewarding, fun, and busy, all by itself.

Before I retired in 2009, I was very concerned that I might be bored or floundering somehow in retirement. I compiled a list of 22 (or was it 24?) things I wanted to do if I had more time. They were widely varied, but included such things as learning Spanish, growing roses, writing a book for the fun of it, volunteering with groups that help older seniors than me, and more. That list remains, untouched, on the desktop of my other computer. I just don't have time for any of it, yet.
That sounds so much like me after quitting work. :) I haven't found the time either, and am also unwilling to commit to any initiative or project that has a schedule. No problems with those that take on new projects, but after years of regimented, disciplined working life some time now on cruise control is in order. If I ever get bored I'm sure there will be plenty to do, otherwise I'll just go bother the kids or something.

Last edited:
Bought the book and thank you all for the replies. I'm glad I joined this site

Welcome Jost. I can see you need more help. You don't buy the book, you borrow it from the Library!

Ugh, you are correct, I need more help. I'm a slow learner but did find this site. Look forward the shared wisdom and participating when the opportunity presents.

I spent the weekend analyzing my core motives, the things that give me the most enjoyment and/or benefit. The list has things like personal growth, spirituality, learning, relationships, physical health, etc. on it. Then I looked at the types of activities that could feed each of those motives. Then I analyzed which of those activities gave the most "bang for the buck," in terms of enjoyment or benefit. It was an interesting exercise and helped clarify what I would like my retirement to look like.

I think it's important to think it through, and probably do multiple iterations. From what I've read, people who prepare for retirement in this way are in much better shape than ones who don't. Plus, it's fun. It stokes my imagination, to think about what I would like my life to be, post-ER. It is really a chance to re-invent yourself, to live a life of your own choosing. Ultimately, it's all up to you.

Welcome! I think it is great that you bought the book, you can write and highlight and really get into the meat of it! I am semi-retired and life is really, really busy! I love the days that I can chill out in the backyard and watch the grass grow!

To the OP: have you explored volunteering ? Volunteering has become a very significant part of my life and has also become one of the key reasons what I want to FIRE.

I was interested in this book as well. They had it at my library! Thanks for the suggestion!

+1 I recently borrowed the Zelinski book from my library, too. I thought it was great and very helpful.

I have begun my Get a Life Tree but, to be honest, I am finding that all of my other random activities are getting in the way of completing it! I am trying not to be too hard on myself about that.

Good grief, I've been so busy with repairs, upkeep and landscaping on my two acres that I haven't had time to worry about a list of things to do to stay busy...definitely busier than I wanted or expected to be. Big reason is that caring for two acres is a lot more than our older postage stamp tract home...and I'm still caring for that one too.

R

My front license plate is emblazoned with "Happy, Wild, and Free!". Obviously I endorse the book. I also recommend making a list. But most of all I recommend reading the threads on this forum. How about the thread "What did you do today?". There is no better indication of how people on this forum spend their days than to read how they actually spend their days. The Travel section may also be useful.

Back
Top Bottom