Join Early Retirement Today

Back on topic.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Back on topic.

Hey, Az, once again you're scaring the rest of the class with your dire ER predictions. Kindly go to the archives and look up the poster formerly known as "Ted" before you start up on this topic again. Or is that you, Ted?!

Those of us who have ER'd are happy to pass along our skills to the next graduating class. And since it's a lot easier to lower your expenses than to raise your income, the "selection bias" will bring reductions to the fore. But it's not implying that we can't afford to live a fulfilling life. My balance comes from choosing to live a life of value, not materialism, and it gives me both a great challenge and great pleasure to avoid expenses so that I can use the money for other reasons. Frugality is my choice. Frankly your dilapidated houses could also be a personal choice of their owners-- how the heck do you know? While everyone could choose to spend more, a clean shiny house isn't everyone's top priority.

Healthcare & inflation always have been, and probably always will be, the biggest ER obstacles. Many of us go to considerable effort to point out how to adequately capitalize an ER budget, but the implementation is a personal, er, choice. Some of us have much higher pain thresholds than others and can sleep under just about any financial conditions. While that may make you uncomfortable, it doesn't mean that others shouldn't do it. Read about all the approaches and do what works for you. But while you're making your own choice, don't expect me to agree with you.

IMO you're inserting your opinions into other's posts. It's not that I don't care what other people think-- I do. (If for no other reason, I have to care in order to get them to comply with my wishes!) It's that I don't care what they think about how I "should" be living my life. I'm always happy to read about a better way to live, but I'll live my life in a way that gives me pleasure without harming others.

Ben's "What should I say" question implies that ER is somehow not acceptable to society. That's just as discriminatory as race, religion, gender, or nationality-- and I won't tell someone that they should try to hide.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Back on topic.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:11 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ben's "What should I say" question implies that ER is somehow not acceptable to society. *That's just as discriminatory as race, religion, gender, or nationality--
I believe that you are absolutely correct in this observation. However, clever experimentation has shown that even people who profess and truly believe themselves to have none of these discriminatory feelings in fact do ofen have them. It is the nature of people to form "us" and "not us" discriminations. Most of us cannot stop doing this. Look at the strong feelings brought out by the "guns" thread on this board.

In some environments I might want to appear better off than I am, probably in most I would want to have some sort of story about why I am walking around freely at a time of day when most people are locked in their cubicles. (This has greatly lessened as I have recently attained more normal retirement age.) In all cases I don't want anyone to think that I am a promising target- for mugging, scamming, suing, you name it.

I would imagine that living in Hawaii would be quite a bit different on this score than living in Arkansas! Just like social attitudes in Jacksonville would be different from those in Key West.

Until I am planning to take out a loan, get married, or something equally important,(and unlikely, esp. since I am already married enough) I don't think I have any obligation or need to "tell the truth" to casual friends or acquaintances.

Free-lance ad writer, disability pension, and now, social security are the covers I usually want to share, - even if they are all either false or incomplete.

Remember the code of the Old West? Here is a song that illustrates what I am talking about:

"Say what was your name in the States?
Was it Johnson or Thompson or Bates?
Did you murder your wife and flee for your life?
Say what was your name in the States?"

Mikey

Old 03-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: What to reply to "what do you do?" when FIREd

"Kindly go to the archives and look up the poster formerly known as "Ted" before you start up on this topic again. Or is that you, Ted?! "

Crikey, it's been a year since Ted's ungraceful exit! I went back and read the "Ted Threads" again. At the time, I figured he was recovering from a head trauma and cut him some slack. Somehow, I believe that more participants have managed to bang the punkin' a bit too hard, lately. I don't mean to aim that comment at anyone in particular, but I do feel that there's been a lot of misplaced venom disguised as wit recently. Anywho, I figured I'd add not much in particular and have done a fine job of it.

Kind Regards to all,

Chris
Old 03-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
. . .**Anywho, I figured I'd add not much in particular and have done a fine job of it. . .
Well . . . you left me baffled.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I am a biologist (GS-12) for the federal government. *I'd prefer to not get too specific though *.
You mean because you spend all day posting on the internet while you are actually supposed to working for your paycheck?...franky, any opinion on the proper way to ER, voiced by a 30 something government employee slacking off all day on the tax-payers dime is suspect.

Hey, but thats just my opinion.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #106

Quote:
Kindly go to the archives and look up the poster formerly known as "Ted" before you start up on this topic again. Or is that you, Ted?!

<snip>

And since it's a lot easier to lower your expenses than to raise your income, the "selection bias" will bring reductions to the fore. But it's not implying that we can't afford to live a fulfilling life.
I thought of Ted as well. He, too, seemed envious of those who planned to retire or had retired in their 30s. He used more of the "good to society" approach rather then the "what will the neighbors think?!?" approach when attacking people, however.

Az, you just read YMOYL. Do you keep track of your expenses?

I still work but I do spend less then $30/yr and I consider myself to be "living." I even drive a nice German sports car and have been to Europe once a year for 7 years running. What can I say? I'm sorry your expenses are so high.

Ooops, have to go. The trailer park is starting to flood.
;D
Old 03-04-2005, 02:54 AM   #107

Hey, that's pretty funny ((trailer park flooding, etc.).

Re. Ted, he was kind of a "one note Johnny". I may
be obnoxious but at least I vary my delivery

I recall some references to us saving tinfoil and eating
catfood what with the drastic cutbacks we have made from
my former life. Ain't so. Even at 25% of my "peak" years
income we live pretty good by almost anyone's standards.
Mostly what's gone is conspicuous consumption. Now, we focus on the most bang for our quarter , instead of a
"buck". We still travel, eat out, go fishing, boat, live on the water. Soooooooooooo, no trailer parks for us
(not that there's anything wrong with that). If we
really want something nonessential, we can mostly still
get it. Sometimes it requires a lot of thinking and
creativity, where in my past life I would just go buy it.

JG
Old 03-04-2005, 06:18 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You mean because you spend all day posting on the internet while you are actually supposed to working for your paycheck?...franky, any opinion on the proper way to ER, voiced by a 30 something government employee slacking off all day on the tax-payers dime is suspect.

Hey, but thats just my opinion.
Oh, come on. He is working so hard and making sure to keep up appearances!

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:21 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Salaryguru,

Sorry to confuse. I meant that I didn't have a whole lot to say and managed to get that point across... I did want to comment that the venom seems greater lately and I said that too.

FarmerEd,

There are a lot of screwoffs around here. Then again, I don't think Azanon is outside smoking for half of the day which seems to be acceptable in some workplaces. He's had reasonable input to this board on many occasions. I don't see how the fact that he's 30 something, a government employee, and possibly a screwoff negates his input. It does make a nice personal attack, though, if that was your intent.

Kind Regards to all,

Chris
Old 03-04-2005, 08:18 AM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... frankly, any opinion on the proper way to ER, voiced by a 30 something government employee slacking off all day on the tax-payers dime is suspect.
Hey, a decade ago I resembled that remark!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:20 AM   #111

Quote:
Salaryguru,

Sorry to confuse. *I meant that I didn't have a whole lot to say and managed to get that point across... *. . .
Chris
Chris,

I meant my post to be humorous way of indicating your success. I'm afraid that my sense of humor often translates poorly on the internet. I keep trying to learn better ways to communicate here. It's just not natural to me.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Lots of good comment here! (and some yada yada I will just ignore ).

I think the reply investor/financial advisor Etc. is just fine for me. I do not feel that I should be ashamed of being FIREd - but as Mikey points out: it is nobody elses business what my financial status is - and when in the mid 30ties (and looking younger ) the "I am retired" will naturally be followed with more questions regarding finances and "what do you do/feel guilty?" kind of questions. If I answer truthfully about the stash the switch will then be to "can not be done/give me a loan/envy" type questions. No thanks.

Also: the word "retire" does not really reflect the truth either as we all know that 99% of the population understand that is a rocking chair and jepardy on TV.. :-/

My retirement might involve more "work" than before - I just wan't to do what I enjoy and not be dependent on any income it MIGHT bring in.

Cheers!
Old 03-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Re. Ted, he was kind of a "one note Johnny". I may be obnoxious but at least I vary my delivery
Good thing I 'ran him off' then... :

Actually Ted was a smart guy with regards to investing. Unfortunately he thought we were all leeches on society and should work until we dropped. And if we didnt agree with that, he had other names to call us. Several of which I'm quite sure were CHP's.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #114

Quote:

Also: the word "retire" does not really reflect the truth either as we all know that 99% of the population understand that is a rocking chair and jepardy on TV.. :-/

Just read something in today's New York Times that the average senior in retirement watches 43 hours of TV per week, which sounds a lotl like a full time job. So maybe most people's idea of retirment is pretty lame, and assume that translates to ER, too. Maybe we need a new term -- assume that no one here is logging that kind of time on the barca-lounger!

Old 03-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... my "drug of choice" has been evening TV watching. INMHO, selective TV watching is less self-destructive than other forms of "escape".
Just curious and no criticism implied, Jarhead (my spouse is a heavy TV watcher too), but what's your take on TV-watching compared to surfing the Internet or reading books/magazines/newspapers?

In my case the former is much more boring than any of the latter...

Old 03-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Surfing requires some intelligent thought as to what to look at and involves some branching decision making. Watching tv is rather binary...keep watching or change the channel to another passive stream of goofy.

I guess if they didnt cancel almost all the shows that involve some sort of brain activity, I'd think better of tv.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #117

Quote:
Just curious and no criticism implied, Jarhead (my spouse is a heavy TV watcher too), but what's your take on TV-watching compared to surfing the Internet or reading books/magazines/newspapers? *

In my case the former is much more boring than any of the latter...
Nords: Agreed, in most cases. I do all of the above.
The majority of my TV watching is sports and between HBO and Showtime there are quite a few specials (documentaries, etc.) during the year. My wife and I both really enjoy stand-up comedy, and we have two channels that pick that up. Have always enjoyed stand-up, as it has an element that is comparable to sports. No safety net, and nobody to bail you out.
In any case, we are pretty selective in what we watch, and when we find that it is enjoyable.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My wife and I both really enjoy stand-up comedy, and we have two channels that pick that up. *Have always enjoyed stand-up, as it has an element that is comparable to sports. *No safety net, and nobody to bail you out. *
In any case, we are pretty selective in what we watch, and when we find that it is enjoyable.
I would place stand-up about 4 levels above anything one is likely to encounter in a magazine, unless it happens to be a Dave Barry article.

I think when I start drawing Social Security I will give myself HBO.

Jarhead's post also reminded me of how important it is to try to take care of your knees. What young kid gives a thought to his knees? But sooner or later his knees are likely to be the limiting organ when it comes to sports and physical pursuits. Today's knee surgery is amazing, but a bit of prevention is worth a lot too. This also seems to be true in spades for women.

Mikey
Old 03-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

I saw Chris Rock in an L.A. comedy club about 9 years ago. He was terrible! To be fair, he came in to watch, and the club owner insisted on bringing him up on the stage. Maybe the expectations were too high, but he straight froze up. The crowd clapped anyway when he was done, mostly because of his name, I'm sure. My friends have told me I crack them up and that I missed my calling, but damn, after that I knew I wasn't up for the meat grinder of stand up comedy. Love to watch it, though.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The MC introduced me as a guy that's been killing in the Bay Area. *What the hell?. *Longest 5 minutes I've ever spent in my life...
Jarhead, that took more nerve than going over Niagara Falls in a barrel. I would probably have had a panic attack.

Mikey