What's your daily routine/grind?

97guns

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just curious what your typical day looks like and thought it could be fun.

My wife and I wake up around 5:30, laze around in bed for an hour or so checking email, news and other things. Make coffee and laze around more, take a shower around 9, leave the house around 10 for shopping. My wife loves to shop so well hit up a couple 2 or 3 stores and maybe a grocery store. We'll get home around 12-1 and cook lunch, after lunch I'll watch some tv and the wife talks to friends online, family at home and plays online poker. We usually eat dinner around 7 and go to sleep at 10 or later, were usually on the internet the whole evening or I'll watch tv.

Variations include going out to lunch, taking a day trip to the city for more shopping or going on a little hike but for the most part that is my daily grind.

Wake up automatically around 5:30 a.m.--then look at internet news.
Get 6 year old granddaughter up at 7:00 and get her to school by 8:00 a.m.
Come back and read internet forums and more news.
10:00 a.m.--get to work cutting grass and working on building projects.
2:30 p.m.--leave to pick up granddaughter at school.
Then go back to work on building projects.
(We're in the process of rebuilding a 2800 sq. ft. home formerly resided in by our daughter and will be selling it when the job's completed.

Wake up at 4:45 daily. Eat small breakfast go for 1 mile walk while praying and listening to the world around me wake up. Get home and putter around in the garage or involved in woodworking. Sandwich for lunch, occasionally grocery shop, surf the web, read a little, peruse the various forums of hobbies I do and Mow the lawn every 6 days. Church on Sunday.

Up by 6:00 am. Make lunch for my wife and send her off to w#@k. Coffee and read the news- maybe watch the news also. Off to the gym or out for a run by 7:30. Some days into the jacuzzi with my protein shake. Always do a little housework in the AM and often make shopping runs before noon.
The remainder of the day is my choice: gun range, golf course (heading there in the next 30 minutes), yard work, etc.
I always have dinner on the table by 6 pm, when the wife returns

6 - wake, walk and feed the mutt, surf blogs, news, & glance at local news on boob tube; perform any required $$ transactions
8 - prepare breakfast breakfast for DW and self
9 - walk 4-5 miles or jailhouse workout (no equipment & do at home)
11 - start daily project (unless a WIFE SWOOP descends upon me) :hide:
12 - lunch
13 - see 11 (interject a 30 min naps somewhere between 13 & 17)
17 - mandatory, self imposed wine time
18 - dinner (or supper if in mid-west, when dinner happens at 12) :LOL:
19 - read, surf, tube; consider revisiting 17
21 - mutt walk; plan, and maybe begin next day's 8
22 - lights out

Volunteer 3-5 times a month which pretty much craters 8-17, but that's okay.
All times in military format

6 wake up, breakfast, online

7 workout/ bike ride, sometimes morning photo missions

8-5 yard work, home projects, wood working, kayaking

5 dinner

6-10 online, tv, photo stuff

10 bed time

Other than waking up early out of habit, meals and general home & yard maintenance, I don't have a routine, and hope I never do. The attraction in retirement is I can do something different every day, and those activities change over the years too. For example, I've gotten re-interested in golf this year after a 15 year layoff. It's fun, for now, what I do next year may be altogether different. It's bliss.

M-F the dogs get us up between 7-8 am. I take care of them and then coffee and paper. I eat yogurt and then we walk our big dog 3 miles. I eat lunch at 11 and either work on my online class or play on the internet. A few times during the week we will meet our kids for an early happy hour dinner special. Almost every Fri night I stay over at my friend's house and we have dinner and talk. Then Sat am we make a nice breakfast. I usually am home by 11 am. Saturdays we usually go to a local event and Sunday sometimes we go somewhere and sometimes we don't. I do any housework during the week. I usually watch TV in the evening if we are home. One of the nice things is being able to spontaneously decide to do something. Last night my DH said let's go to the food truck event at the park and we did which was fun.

A "normal" day for me:

6am: Wake up. Feed and water the dog. Get ready for work.

7am: Leave for office. Sit in traffic, try not to let rude and/or oblivious drivers kill me or otherwise ruin my day.

8am: Arrive for another fun day of work. (Today I'm trying to explain to one of our people that all we are looking to do is license software, and we are not going to sign up to be a reseller of the vendor's software just because they think it's a good idea. She's one of my *favorites*; if she was any dumber, she'd have to be watered twice a week. :facepalm: )

6pm: Leave the office. Sit in traffic, try not to let rude and/or oblivious drivers kill me or otherwise make my day even worse than it has been.

7pm: Arrive home. Try to relax and forget about the last 12 hours.

10-11pm: Collapse in bed; try to sleep without the reoccurring nightmare where I'm back in the office.

CR: how much longer until your work life is a not so fond memory? I laughed out loud reading your post.

0600 - Wake and release the hound for bladder relief. Make coffee, peruse my favorite internet sites. Light breakfast.
0700 - DW awakes and we walk the hound for approximately 45 minutes.
0800 - Walk 5 miles while listening to Podcasts.
1100 - Handle financial transactions from my dedicated Chromebook. Back to forums of my hobbies. Rving and flying small planes.
1200 - Light lunch.
1300 - Gym for weights and more aerobic exercise.
1400 - Shopping if necessary.
1500 - Email, texting catch up with close friends.
1700 - Liquid bread or grapes (beer or wine)
1800 - Dinner and the PBS Newshour.
1900 - Watch a Netflix pick of the night.
2100 - Taps

Weekends = No shopping.

CR: how much longer until your work life is a not so fond memory? I laughed out loud reading your post.
Thanks. I wrote it hoping it would provide some humor. :)

Unfortunately, I have to answer your question: "I don't know yet".

Without reiterating my introductory post, I had a recent "incident" at the office and went home wondering why I continue to put up with the all the bull***t. Since then, I have been tracking our spending, cutting spending, and increasing savings.

Once I have a couple of months of spending tracked, I'll be in a better position to determine how soon I can retire.

I'm retired. I don't have a "daily grind". :cool:

between 5-6 am: wake up
around 10 pm: bedtime
everything in-between : do whatever I desire, which includes care of dog, house, garden, etc. with plenty of playtime included! Life is good.

Wow, lots of early risers here! Once in a blue moon I'll get up before 7:30 but not very often, more likely 8:30 or 9:00. Then I'll start the computer and while it's booting up I'll go out to get the local newspaper (yes, the printed kind) and by then PC is far enough along to be usable. I'll look at E-mail and peruse a few news sites lightly, just to get a sense of what weirdness is going on in the world but not enough to send me into a fit of depression. The newspaper is better, as they make a good effort to print positive stories about local people and events.

If that day is a gym day I'll make a point to eat something light, otherwise I may not eat anything at all. I am NOT a morning person; usually I cannot form coherent and/or civil sentences before 11:00 AM. Disturb at your own risk.

If it is not a gym day I'll make an effort to take a walk, but not if it is pouring rain, freezing, or hotter than Hades. I am not a masochist for physical fitness. Otherwise I'll just do whatever comes to mind or perhaps take a nap. After doing whatever I'll log in here and read posts until I lose interest, then go to youtube or Amazon and watch movies or documentaries until 10 or 11 PM and go to bed. If DW has something scheduled I'll go do that instead.

Did somebody just ask: "What do you do all day?"?

In all actuality, I am usually up around 7 to medicate one of our very old dogs. Some days I go back to bed, some days I get the coffee going and then do "whatever". Some days I will have specific plans (such as grocery store on Tuesday between 10a-2p) but usually I take it as it comes.

Since school is back in, I am taking classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so that does necessitate a schedule. Since I don't *have* to do this school thing, it makes it much easier to accept the schedule part of it. Not only that, I only have 55 more days of class meetings, so the end is very, very close.

I have noticed that many of us get our days started dealing with animals. Interesting how that happens, eh?

I have noticed that many of us get our days started dealing with animals. Interesting how that happens, eh?

I noticed that too. [emoji2]

Ours is outside the bedroom door bouncing up and down and turning circles as soon as she hears me get out of bed.

Heaven forbid I do anything before feeding her. Even if I use the restroom first, she flops down on the ground and lets out a long "grumble". My wife says I've spoiled that dog (almost) as much as my grandchildren. [emoji1]

Wow, lots of early risers here! Once in a blue moon I'll get up before 7:30 but not very often, more likely 8:30 or 9:00.
In my case it's because I fall asleep (much) earlier than I should... :blush:

0400 wake and empty bladder
0401-0430 read until fall back asleep
0815 get up, 50 push-ups, plank for as long as I can stand it, call it a w@rkout. promise myself I'll do more after breakfast
0830 feed/water animals/self while watching prior night's late night comedians' monologues to catch up on the news
0845-1000 surf web, w@rk-at-home type stuff, ignore promise from earlier
1000 2nd breakfast; more info consumption
1015 try to talk self into practicing piano
1030 start day's project (I try to pick one thing that needs doing each day, so I don't feel like a total slouch... not that there's anything wrong with that!) IF it's a "w@rk" day (~once a week), go to "office"
1200 lunch break
1500 snack break / leave w@rk
1600 whatever
1830 dinner break
1900 whatever
2300 get in bed, read
2330 hopefully asleep

Back
Top Bottom