Where in the West to retire?

Albuquerque has International Air Port, Lots of outdoor activities, learned to Ski there, don't know about cross country but ~ 1 hour away from Santa Fe 2.5 hours away from Taos, 4 Hours away from lower Colorado Skiing (best Skiing). Does get hot in summer but generally cools down at night with winds off the Sandia Mountains

I lived in Cheyenne WY for 5 years and have considered moving back in retirement because of lower cost of living, particularly taxes and the climate is dry, love the spring snow that falls & disappears in a few days. Only Skiing I tried was in Laramie (1.5 hours to Medicine Bow Forest area), which I didn't care for in comparison to lower Colorado but I don't know anything about cross country skiing. Biggest downside to Cheyenne is wind in the winter and although they have a small airport (only did that once), I'd recommend driving 2 hours to Denver instead. About 45 minutes to Fort Collins. Hiking Wyoming - Away From the Grind also has hiking in other surrounding states
+1 There are several senior hiking groups in ABQ-great website listing all the hikes that my brother in law helped put together. My sister retired there from Georgia and loves it.

Isn't there a lot of military and ex-military in that area?

In Colorado that is.

In many ways, the Springs are dominated by the military. Historically there has been a lot crime there and I think this remains the case. That said, COS is about the least expensive area in the Front range and prices are starting to rise to reflect the silly bid-up of the rest of the area. I am guessing that COS as a whole will gentrify over time. It is not a place I would be eager to reside, although there are some nicer areas in the metro area.

I lived for several years in Colorado Springs in the 1970s, and crime was practically nonexistent. But the population of the entire county then was around 100,000 and today it's over 700,000. With that kind of growth come many problems.

I'm with the people recommending Grand Junction, Although you might want to consider Glenwood springs, colorado to be closer to skiing and hiking, and you can get shuttle service to the Denver Airport. As you get older, the hot springs annual pass would be awesome.

Regarding people fretting about Mormons, do not worry about that, it is the proverbial 'red herring'. I'm not a LDS but have lived in every inter-mountain state, and Mormons are great neighbors. Just consider it would be no different than any area in the world with a dominant religion, like Texas or the American South that has their own dominant religion, or the many Catholic countries in the western hemisphere to which people retire.

I lived for several years in Colorado Springs in the 1970s, and crime was practically nonexistent. But the population of the entire county then was around 100,000 and today it's over 700,000. With that kind of growth come many problems.

Wow I didn't realize it was that big.

Denver can't be much bigger can it?

San Francisco population is only around 700k too and that's large enough to make it one of the top media markets in the country. Of course Oakland and San Jose are each 700k as well.

So in this list, SF-Oakland-San Jose make it the 11th MSA in the country while Denver-Aurora-Lakewood is 19th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

But in the Nielsen DMA rankings for media markets, the SFO-Oakland-San Jose DMA is #6 in the country while Denver DMA is #17.

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/...easurement/television/2015-2016-dma-ranks.pdf

I'm with the people recommending Grand Junction, Although you might want to consider Glenwood springs, colorado to be closer to skiing and hiking, and you can get shuttle service to the Denver Airport. As you get older, the hot springs annual pass would be awesome.

Regarding people fretting about Mormons, do not worry about that, it is the proverbial 'red herring'. I'm not a LDS but have lived in every inter-mountain state, and Mormons are great neighbors. Just consider it would be no different than any area in the world with a dominant religion, like Texas or the American South that has their own dominant religion, or the many Catholic countries in the western hemisphere to which people retire.

I'm sure they're fine people but I guess in UT the issue might be it's tougher to buy alcoholic beverages?

As long as your neighbors don't have a compound with several sister wives?:LOL:

You folks recommending Albuquerque have not read the news recently. ABQ is number one city in nation for car theft, and number two for property crime (house burglary mostly). Yes the weather is pretty mild, and housing is not so expensive. But the crime is out of control. NM in general is also always at the bottom of the good lists, and the top of the bad lists. While ABQ is considered an international airport, it does not go to Europe or Asia direct. There are not a lot of cross country skiing areas, it is more downhill skiing. The hospitals can't keep doctors, and medical care is not what I would call anymore than adequate. Do you still want to move here:confused:?

I live in the mountains on east side of Albuquerque and am selling my house, retiring and getting the hell out. Only here because of work so no family or other reason to stay. I will be the one saying good riddance to NM. Look for the guy with his hand out the window giving the finger when crossing the border into TX on I-40 when I leave.

Back to the OP's question, I think Grand Junction CO or Carson City NV are places to check out.

Oceanside and San Marcos Ca have some houses in the $300k-$500k.
So does Seattle, but I wouldn't want to live in most of 'em these days. ;)
Throughout my life, and many years of traveling around these parts for w*rk, I have discovered that there are many nice places to live in the nooks and crannies of the West Coast, particularly in the Pacific Northwest, beyond the major cities. It all depends on what you desire. :cool:

Does Phoenix have direct flights to Europe or Asia? Or would you have to connect through LAX, SFO or some East Coast airport?

Does it even have direct flights to South America?

I think they have direct flights to London, several cities in Canada, several cities in Mexico, and Costa Rica.

Every other international destination is most likely 1 or 2 stops. I'm reading that there is not a lot of demand for international flights out of Phoenix.

I'm sure they're fine people but I guess in UT the issue might be it's tougher to buy alcoholic beverages?

I didn't have problem years ago when I went skiing at Salt Lake City. And not recently for my Zion or Bryce Canyon trip.
The Mormons might not drink alcohol but they have no problem selling and making profit. I think they also own or operate a lot of business in Las Vegas, aka sin City.

Last edited:

Some of the southern states have worse alcoholic laws than Utah, as in counties that are just plain dry. If availability of alcohol is a checklist for retirement, here is a link. https://www.legalbeer.com/liquor-laws-by-state

BTW, to be clear here, the availability of alcohol IS a requirement for my retirement. ;)

Trirod, I can comment about living in Utah as a Non Mormon. If you are in Salt Lake City then I do not think it will be that much of an issue. Salt Lake City is diverse enough and big enough to offer you a lifestyle that should be to your liking. Outside of Salt lake City, I would not recommend coming to Utah as a non Mormon as the communities are small and close knit. The people are nice enough, but I do not think as a non Mormon you would feel comfortable. Mormons are good people, so any Mormons , please know that I am just answering a question that was asked and I am in a unique position to do so as I live in Utah.

So I'm finally at the point where I think all my numbers work, but I am having trouble deciding where I should retire to. My wife and I currently live in the Midwest. Almost every vacation we take, we go out west - California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado etc. we are looking forward to moving out there permanently but are suffering a bit from analysis paralysis.

Our main requirements for a retirement place:

- four seasons but no excessive heat/humidity in the summer and not really long winters. A drier climate is a plus.
- excellent hiking nearby is a must. Close by cross country skiing would be a strong positive
- not too far from a major international airport since we are from the U.K. originally and still travel back there annually to visit family
- preferably a big enough town to have a decent health club, decent shops etc. close by. i.e. Not way out in the sticks
- reasonably affordable. Which I think rules out most of California. Ideally we would find a nice 3 bedroom house for $400k or less but we could stretch that a bit if necessary.

So currently the front running state is Colorado. Originally we were looking at Fort Collins or some of the other Northern front range cities. But then we realized these places are still a bit of a drive to decent hiking, so we are now contemplating more west of Denver so we would be right in the mountains, but still pretty close to a major city.

Feedback from others who live somewhere like where we are looking for would be very much appreciated!
From your main requirements, as listed above, I suggest Spokane. I once lived there as a little kid, and enjoyed it and its four seasons. But that was long ago, and things change. Also see:
Is Spokane the Next Big Thing? Maybe. - Features - The Stranger
A Tour of Spokane's Remarkable Literary Landmarks - Books - The Stranger

Trirod, I can comment about living in Utah as a Non Mormon. If you are in Salt Lake City then I do not think it will be that much of an issue. Salt Lake City is diverse enough and big enough to offer you a lifestyle that should be to your liking. Outside of Salt lake City, I would not recommend coming to Utah as a non Mormon as the communities are small and close knit. The people are nice enough, but I do not think as a non Mormon you would feel comfortable. Mormons are good people, so any Mormons , please know that I am just answering a question that was asked and I am in a unique position to do so as I live in Utah.

This actually could be a whole number thread: That 'retire to an area with a dominant religion other than my own'. I've been in many little towns in Missouri and Texas that are just as cliquish with their religion as Mormons would be in a very small town. It's part of human nature I think. But it could be a significant retirement consideration for where ever you would retire. For myself, I would not retire in most USA southern states in part because of the dominant religion there. But to each their own, I'm not making judgments here. Because despite what you hear, different parts of the USA do have different culture that could be a factor in where to retire.

Let's not have a 'retire to an area with a dominant religion other than my own' thread. Please keep an eye on the Community Rules as to religion.

I grew up in the Placerville area and I have always said that I grew up in the sticks. I think that was one of OP's criteria to avoid. For example, I was up there just a month ago for a funeral, only a few miles from the highway, and there was no cell service...

Davis, CA is a nice area too. College town with small town feel but close enough to Sacramento for travel.
Boise ID is a great area and affordable but it is hard to get to as far as nonstop flights. It takes us all day to get there from Southern CA.

Last edited:
Boise ID is a great area and affordable but it is hard to get to as far as nonstop flights. It takes us all day to get there from Southern CA.

there are directs from BOI to

Houston
Dallas
SLC
DEN
MSP
LAS
PHX
ORD
PDX
SEA

and a few others in CA

there are directs from BOI to

Houston
Dallas
SLC
DEN
MSP
LAS
PHX
ORD
PDX
SEA

and a few others in CA

MSP will get you to quite a few non-stops to Europe...ORD should as well.you are already flying Eastbound which helps with flight times...

We retired last year and moved to Rogue Valley in Southern Oregon. We have now been here a year and could not be happier. We technically live in Medford, but on the southeast edge of town. There are four seasons. It gets hot in the summer, but it is not humid. The airport is convenient. There are several flights a day to PDX and SEA (45 minute flight) and a few to Bay Area CA and Los Angeles. Hiking here is amazing and many of the hiking trails nearby (half hour-40 minutes) are groomed for Nordic skiing and shoeshoeing in winter. There is lots to do also in nearby Ashland with the Shakespeare Festival, arts and good restaurants. We belongs to a nice health club and there is excellent health care in the area. As far as housing prices, we bought 3 BR/2BA with nice RV parking last August for 284K in a nicer part of Medford. A year later they are running 300-310K.

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1494283743647.jpg

I've been to Utah on business a number of times this year, and have had no problem finding supplies of either beer or coffee. Did have a vendor run into an issue with ordering a drink without being served food. He had to buy a cookie to go with his drink:confused:.

I wouldn't get too caught up on the airport issue - OP stated 'travel back there annually' Between feeder flights and/or spending an overnight in a hotel near a major airport, I wouldn't rule out many smaller western small cities with lower cost housing and high quality of life.

]Some on our personal list, none of which have lots of rain or huge amounts of snow, are:

Wenatchee, WA
Walla Walla, WA
Spokane, WA
Pullman, WA
Boise, ID
Pocatello, ID
Prescott, AZ
Payson, AZ
Sierra Vista, AZ
Fort Collins, CO
Colorado Springs, CO
Missoula, MT
Helena, MT
Grants Pass, OR
Medford, OR
Klamath Falls, OR
Bend, OR
Ruidoso, NM

Send me a PM with an email if you want a spreadsheet with ridiculous amounts of statistics on these. My OCD kicks in overdrive when researching retirement destination. Humidity charts anyone?

Proximity to an airport is likely the first area I would compromise on. If I have to drive 4 or 5 hours instead of 1 or 2 hours to get to a decent airport a couple of times a year then that's not a big deal.

What I did look at last night was pricing of flights to Europe from various airports - there's some pretty big variation there. Denver seems to be about the cheapest at around $800 but SFO is not far behind. Boise was expensive at $1,400. So if I flew to the UK once or twice a year that could be a $600-$1,200 additional annual expense. Just one more thing to take into account along with real estate taxes, income taxes, insurance and all those other things that vary from state to state.

I just booked flights for a trip to England and Scotland in September and am flying out of Toronto for $750 instead of Detroit at $1,250 even though Toronto is a 4.5 hour drive vs. Detroit at 1 hour. Not sure if that makes me smart or cheap...

Back
Top Bottom