Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a portion of the unfinished basement designated as the shop.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

A friend rents a building 5-10 miles from his home for his shop. It's also an escape destination. He's got his classic car there, tools, air compressor, TV, sofa, fridge, microwave, etc, etc. The rent and insurance is a few hundred bucks a month. He's there 20-30 hours a week.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #23

I'm going to be hard-pressed to ever go without a garage. I like to do car maintenance, work on my bicycles, and be generally handy. Maybe that'll change when I'm older, but for now both DW and I like the garage setup as well as the stand-alone house. I suspect we'll want to own houses as long as we are able physically and financially!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I suspect we'll want to own houses as long as we are able physically and financially!
Key factor there.
Financially was no problem, and although I could still handle home maintenance physically, as I approached 70 I simply didn't want to any more. I always knew another condo was in my future, so I was also psychologically ready for it.

Luckily, I found one that had an attached garage that would work for the shop work I want to do.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #25

I have three of them.

My electronics shop is in the baseent.
The garage is the mechanical.
The mancave/camp is another electronics/mechanical.

Love the decadence of it all.

Compared to my bithplace I am a miniature king, recently viewed the house where i was born on google earth, it is a genuine ghetto.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I built a 600 SF shop in the back yard, but it's fairly cluttered up right now.

To the OP--I don't think it's likely you'll find a better answer than having a shop where you live (SFH, or condo with garage). Just being able to walk out there any time and do a project or fix something is much better than having to make a pre-planned trip somewhere else. If the yard maintenance of a SFH is getting you down (esp when traveling), you could hire someone to do that and it would be cheaper than renting shop space somewhere else.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #27

You can build your own house with as much garage and shop as you want!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Upper house level.jpg (97.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Lower house level.jpg (77.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #28

Although geared toward car guys and girls, The Garage Journal has great examples of garage type shops.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #29

Sort of mentioned earlier, maybe look into makerspaces or techshops? Shared toolsheds.

Haven't used them but there might be some around in your area.

What Are They? - Libraries & Maker Culture: A Resource Guide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackerspace
TechShop is the 1st International Open-Access Workshop -- What Do You Want To Make at TechShop?
Old 08-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
You can build your own house with as much garage and shop as you want!
Thanks, but I'd rather get an opinion from someone with actual experience.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a 100 sf turning room in one house. Yes dust control was an issue. When we lived near Davenport, the Quad Cities Turning club had a great shop that the members could use.

Sent from my RCT6103W46 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #32

My shop is in my basement but I don't work on cars.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #33

I have a 24' x 28' garage that doubles as my shop...plenty of room as I only need parking for one car.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I have a portion of the unfinished basement designated as the shop.
That's what I do. Originally one of the things I was going to do in retirement was build radio control model (R/C) airplanes, the kind that have wing spans of five to eight feet, or maybe a quarter-scale model or two. But after retirement I lost all interest in building R/C airplanes or in traveling to a flying site. Apparently it was a stress reliever from work, or I simply plateaued with that aspect of the hobby. So I have this nice shop with 17 feet of workbench space that is rarely used.

It's kind of a shame too, because there's enough room in there to build a cabin cruiser, although getting it out of the basement without doing serious modifications to the house would be problematic.

Recently I discovered the small foam R/C airplanes that have wing spans of about 18 inches and are powered by an electric motor. Most come ready to fly out of the box but if there is any assembly required it takes less than an hour and can be done on the dining room table with a screwdriver and/or a pair of pliers. These I can fly in the back yard. My current avatar is one of them.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting, and I don't want to hijack the thread's original question, but I also wonder about my "shop draw" after I retire. For me it is a money maker though, at least when I want it to. I do some expensive electro mechanical and steel fab restorations in my main shop, and in my basement I make cloth covered wiring harnesses for 1953 and older VWs. Have been since 2003. But it's all gravy money for me, usually blown on more vintage parts, but also on spontaneous travel. And I really like doing it so I don't really see myself losing interest.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Lots of great replies. It's something I've thought about from time to time, but it's a few years off for me.

Walt34 touched on this a few posts back - think small.

I had looked through my shop (in the basement), and thought about the future - maybe just keep the smaller things like the Dremel tool, get the drill press attachment for it (I already made a jig so that I could cut things straight, sort of a small table saw). Maybe a jig saw.

So I'd still be able to work on projects, they'd just be a smaller scale. Heck, I'm getting to the point I don't want to do big projects anymore anyhow. I might see if my DD and SIL would store my table saw, power compound miter saw and drill press. They have some room in their garage, and those might come in handy for cutting up a few projects.

I think small projects will satisfy me as I get older, it just an adjustment.

BTW, my FIL spent a lot of time (most of the day?) in his basement shop after he retired from being a carpenter contractor. When they moved to a retirement apartment, there was a nice shop there. I don't think he ever used it (though he was still in pretty good shape for a few more years). I think it was very personal for him. It wasn't 'his' shop.

-ERD50
Old 08-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

New one will be compact. Small garage with a free 5 feet for a bench. Nice big 12' pegboard too. I'll primarily be reloading ammunition there. Plenty of storage under the bench for lead, brass there's over 1000 pounds of that(just moved it) to keep it put to. Lots of cabinets for powder, primers, and other tools.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I too am tiring of the hassle of a SFH, but condos and townhomes around here are more expensive, by quite a lot, than my current digs. Of course, not dealing with, or paying for, yardwork, keeping my aging sprinkler system functional, plus the problem of an empty house while traveling, might make the numbers a bit more "equal".

I have/had a woodworking shop of sorts in my garage. Only have one car, so room is not much of an issue, though clutter is... Sold my tablesaw, but still have the drill, router and table, circular and saber saws, a pancake compressor, etc. It's handy to have a few tools around for minor jobs, but I'm not sure I'll do much woodworking in the future, so if I decide to give up the home (hand over more earnings), I don't think I'd miss not having a shop.

Plus, didn't mention all the garden tools, the lawn mowers and weed whackers and blowers, bought when I thought I'd just mow my own yard. The 100+ degree days convinced me otherwise...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I too am tiring of the hassle of a SFH, but condos and townhomes around here are more expensive, by quite a lot, than my current digs. Of course, not dealing with, or paying for, yardwork, keeping my aging sprinkler system functional, plus the problem of an empty house while traveling, might make the numbers a bit more "equal".

I have/had a woodworking shop of sorts in my garage. Only have one car, so room is not much of an issue, though clutter is... Sold my tablesaw, but still have the drill, router and table, circular and saber saws, a pancake compressor, etc. It's handy to have a few tools around for minor jobs, but I'm not sure I'll do much woodworking in the future, so if I decide to give up the home (hand over more earnings), I don't think I'd miss not having a shop.

Plus, didn't mention all the garden tools, the lawn mowers and weed whackers and blowers, bought when I thought I'd just mow my own yard. The 100+ degree days convinced me otherwise...
In a townhouse you pay monthly fee, so the guys can mow, and shovel snow (and yes possibly pay for roof in 20 years). Easily $200 /mo.

I found last year, because I was travelling a lot, that I could hire mowers for $104/mo and noticed for me, there is a 1->2 month gap between snow and mow season, and between mow and snow season,
Basically where I would not be hiring anyone.

So the bottom line is, you can make your SFH more like townhouse living by hiring outside companies.

Perhaps it's because it's a choice, it becomes harder to give up doing it myself due to my cheap nature, so this year I'm back to mowing once every 10 days.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

We retired to our small lake home last year. The first thing I did was to build a 16x26 garage addition to the house. A car has never been inside it. This is my workshop. It is filled with woodworking tools but it also handy for other projects too. I can't imagine going without a shop space. My previous shop was a small room in our basement. The new one is not as large as I would have liked (property restrictions) but it's much better than what I had.