Which Southern California beach

Thanks Laurence. Sounds like it could be a gem.

Ha

If I were fortunate enough to be able to buy a condo or house in S. Calif beach areas, I would still be hesitant. You might want to read some contrarian views on the housing market.

This one is not contraian, just candid about the San Diego RE market and what's happening
bubbleinfo.com | An insider's guide to North San Diego County Real Estate | Klinge Realty Blog by Jim Klinge

And of course Dr. Housing Bubble Blog

When you have massive government intervention in the housing market as we do with the FED buying over a trillion in mortgage backed securities and all those tax credits, how can you determine what the value will be in a couple of years when all that intervention maxes out? And then there's the possibility, likely, of interest rate increases in the coming years. Who knows? Something to think about.

Vacation rentals are a very good idea. www.vrbo.com

All depends on what you are looking for. If this is your retirement home i.e. in it until you are in a box, and you can afford the fixed payments or can afford to pay it off and your SWR is still plenty to live well on, then a short or medium term dip in your house/condo value doesn't really matter. Despite buying our current SoCal house at what looked like the bottom, we probably overpaid a bit (a year later similar homes are 5-10% cheaper) but we'll be here a loooong time and just love it.

Back
Top Bottom