Why are some vices more acceptable?

I believe the correct spelling for the metal implement is "vise," although that may be an Americanism.

In general, the old WW2 era vices were made from much better steel. Most of what is available now is crappy imported cast iron. If the cast iron was any worse, it wouldn't even sink in water.

images

I paid less than $20 to see James Taylor in Mountain View years ago. We sat on the lawn. It was nice and enjoyable evening for the whole family.
And we paid $200 per ticket to see Celine Dione, mostly for my oldest child, but she fell asleep the whole time. Money doesn't always bring happiness.

Many years ago we paid $2 to sit in the Right Field Bleachers and cheer on the Dodgers. It was a somewhat wilder crowd than the box seats crowd and they closed beer sales early by the end of the 6th inning. :eek:

Many years ago we paid $2 to sit in the Right Field Bleachers and cheer on the Dodgers. It was a somewhat wilder crowd than the box seats crowd and they closed beer sales early by the end of the 6th inning. :eek:
Wasn't there a big bahaha when the new Yankee stadium opened. Ticket prices were supposedly beyond ridiculous

I have paid $20 to sit on a lawn and watch Rush (bring your blanket, walk 5mins for a $10 beer, expect to get rained on), but I have also paid $150 to get club level seating with a leather couch, full open bar, buffet and parking.

Given they are no longer touring, I'm glad for both experiences.

I have paid $20 to sit on a lawn and watch Rush (bring your blanket, walk 5mins for a $10 beer, expect to get rained on), but I have also paid $150 to get club level seating with a leather couch, full open bar, buffet and parking.

Who knew Limbaugh toured. Interesting.

Maybe there is a reason that you are the only one semi-retired? What do you think?

Me, I find my mid-8 figure retired friends have different priorities than me. One just bought a share in a car racing track and an adjacent condo in a desert region nearby. I asked him if residence number 5 might put any stress on him. He said no it was a package deal and they will rent it for him.

(He does not trust FAs and tends to trust real estate.)

It seems to depend on your perspective. I also have friends in our winter place who don't understand why we live where we do because it is twice as expensive as our winter place.

One of them has four homes because he has two kids and three geographies to deal with yet he is still working. Not for me.

Fortunately DW went through her shoe phase before we got together. She still likes shoes but no longer needs labels.
wow, Mid 8 figure friends. I just got a handle on this concept a few weeks ago. Some how in my mind it meant 15 million, after some thought and then a follow up post it meant 50 million ish. These are just staggering numbers to me.:)

I saw Rush in either 1981 or 1982 . I was pumping gas at the time, im sure the tickets were reasonable, like maybe 3 hours of minimum wage. So 10 dollars ish? When they played Tom sawyer I got my moneys worth:D

I saw Rush in either 1981 or 1982 . I was pumping gas at the time, im sure the tickets were reasonable, like maybe 3 hours of minimum wage. So 10 dollars ish? When they played Tom sawyer I got my moneys worth:D
We saw Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, and Kiss at Lockhaven State University Sept. 15, 1974. Maybe $5.00 apiece. Floor seating only about 300 people there. Kiss was the main act and few knew what their act was! I really couldn't watch Gene, too young too innocent. 😥

We also saw Uriah Heap, Blue Oyster Cult and Manford Mann at Hershey Park on August 8th, 1974. That was the night Richard Nixon announced his resignation. It was announced just before Uriah Heap(main act) took the stage. It got very loud.

We saw some fantastic acts in the 70's. It was a great time for music

It's not your imagination. When all the men are wearing round-toed clown shoes they bought for cheap, the one who invests in a good pair of well-cut well-fitting leather shoes is gonna stand out. Especially if he has a good mrmphbb [mod edit averted]

I shall keep this in mind.

If and when I find myself in a nursing home and if I survive my wife (this is not likely), I will be sure to get really nice shoes, and insist that the orderly puts them on for me before he wheels me out of my room. I would not want the ladies in the nursing home to see me in slippers, sitting in my wheelchair.

Instead of slippers, I've been advised with some good advice to stick with my low frequency mrmphbb.

Last edited:
I shall keep this in mind.

If and when I find myself in a nursing home and if I survive my wife (this is not likely), I will be sure to get really nice shoes, and insist that the orderly puts them on for me before he wheels me out of my room. I would not want the ladies in the nursing home to see me in slippers, sitting in my wheelchair.
Don't worry, the ladies will outnumber the men. You won't have to worry.

wow, Mid 8 figure friends. I just got a handle on this concept a few weeks ago. Some how in my mind it meant 15 million, after some thought and then a follow up post it meant 50 million ish. These are just staggering numbers to me.:)

Not just you, to most I would suspect!

While that "may" be true to women, I can say that to 99.99% of men I've known (including myself), the difference between a $2,500 pair of women's shoes and a similar style shoe from a discount shoe store is unlikely to be noticed at all.
Whether on a man or a woman, I can tell a pair of $250 shoes from a pair of $25 shoes. Only an aficionado can tell a pair of $250 shoes from an $800 or $2500 pair.

I believe that comes under the law of diminishing returns. :cool:

Staring at a cell phone or texting or taking selfies or taking pictures of your food....are these vices? They seem addictive to some.

Only the vices I enjoy.
Younger women.
Older whiskey.
Faster horses.
All made possible by
More Money!!!

Whether on a man or a woman, I can tell a pair of $250 shoes from a pair of $25 shoes. Only an aficionado can tell a pair of $250 shoes from an $800 or $2500 pair.

I believe that comes under the law of diminishing returns. :cool:

I worked at a night club for a while. The owner could spot high end mens shoes and watches immediately. He would send over people to see if that person wanted to spend big bucks, at the VIP area. He was dead on almost 100 % of the time. Those people would get snatched off the line almost immediately.

I worked at a night club for a while. The owner could spot high end mens shoes and watches immediately. He would send over people to see if that person wanted to spend big bucks, at the VIP area. He was dead on almost 100 % of the time. Those people would get snatched off the line almost immediately.
It would seem that the whole point of expensive shoes and watches would be to be distinctive enough to be spotted by other status seekers. A Rolex doesn't keep any better time than a Timex, these days.

Yes it took me a while to get used to it as well. They seem so normal! And here we are enjoying the life of Riley with just a tiny fraction of what they have, and enjoying their company. I think the secret is that they are all first generation rich so they do not have any deeply-ingrained habits. They tend to have multiple cars, houses and boats. Well, we have 3 cars and 2 homes! No boats though. I was cured of that early!

(Speaking of generations of wealth, I met one of The Barclay Brothers in their lawyers Park Avenue offices to explain what we would do with their $10 million investment. It was 2000 and we were doing handheld authorization for credit and debit transactions. One of the brothers asked what a debit card was. I explained how it was used with an ATM. He asked what an ATM was! I explained it patiently and casually asked him how he gets his spending money. He said he sends the butler out to handle it. Now that is wealth. We got the investment anyway.)

For me it was The Red Barchetta. Somebody took me so I don't know what the tickets cost.
For us it was Elton John. We had tickets low down at the right side of the stage, and most of the performance he was facing us across the piano. It was quite a happening!

One of our partners had an in at a hot Miami Beach night club, and we got whisked in out of the line. It was a trip and we did not have the requisite baubles.

It would seem that the whole point of expensive shoes and watches would be to be distinctive enough to be spotted by other status seekers. A Rolex doesn't keep any better time than a Timex, these days.

The timex guy with unshined shoes might have been a high roller, big spender too. But they didnt get the attention of the owner. Those needed to wave hundreds around to try to get off the line and into the club:D.

Back
Top Bottom