Why I Hate Warmer Climates

We don't run the A/C at night, preferring the fresh air, and when the low is 74, we find it hard to sleep.

Stupid people leave dogs/kids in their cars and inevitably a death or two occurs every summer.

Cabin fever from being cooped up inside. It doesn't get extremely cold where I live so I don't have that issue in the winter.

Grew up in Seattle, moved to Oregon for college and am an Oregonian (western side) at heart, living in a desert-like climate. Prolonged hot temperatures just aren't natural to me.

As far as I'm concerned 100 above and 40 below are equally undesirable, it's impossible to do anything outside in either one. One can at least dress for 40 below though.

Heat is uncomfortable - cold can be downright painful so I'll take the heat over the cold anyday. I don't miss the feeling my the moisture in my nose freezing up on me ! LOL

Having said that, yesterday I took at 17 mile bike ride (temp 92, 70% humidity). Stoped in a locall park and rode a trail or two while there. Overdid it and needed to stop into a bowling alley at mile 15. Suffering from about 15 monster mosquito bites right now - but thats not the heats fault - Skin So Soft doesn't work when its in your fanny pack - it needs to be one your skin !

Sorry - can't say I hate the heat. Lived in the cold for 40 years and the heat for 10. Only thing I miss are tulips and daffodils.

Hmmm - as the old ER clock ticks on my operating band has gotten narrower. Age 69 this summer. Toasty and frosty sending me indoors to surf the internet and post on this forum becomes more appealing than snowshoes/ski's or on the beach with tons of sunscreen.

heh heh heh - :dance: ;)

We hit 108 officially here on the Eastern Shore yesterday. I think that's the hottest temp I've ever been in, as far as weather reports are concerned. I'm sure I've been hotter working construction on blacktop when I was a kid, but usually when I feel like it's been brutally hot I check the weather report and they show 98 or 100 or something like that. 108 was a personal record. June was only the third hottest in the 34 years they've been tracking it via satellite, so I don't know if it's global warming or just a damn hot summer.

Why I hate hot weather, let me count the ways....

. bugs
. motorcycles
. humidity
. sweating when standing in the garden holding the watering wand and I am not moving
. the powerful sun adding to the potential of more skin cancer after several skin cancers have been removed
. having to dress in long pants long sleeved shirt with a wide brimmed hat that raises my head temperature 10 degrees any time I'm out for more than 5 minutes see previous comment as to why I have to dress like this
. high electric bills due to running A/C from June through September.

I'm sure there are many more reasons but off the top of my head this is more than enough reasons why I am happy when it's late September and I'm looking forwards to fall and winter.

For those in more urban environments, add the joy of taking public transportation with lots of smelly people. Particurlarly the subway on a hot summer evening....

Although I prefer summer better than winter a colder climate has some advantages.

Keeps out undesirables like all bugs for 6 months a year and no poisonous spiders and snakes the rest of the year, the things I see on Billy the Exterminator creeps me out. The cold cuts down on crime also, not much fun vandalizing when its 30 below. Farther away from Mexico is a plus you guys have some serious border issues that is leading to Americas decline.

For the hunters, bigger deer in colder climates.

I work outside in Albertas oilpatch , summer time is just to hot in coveralls and no mud to get stuck in works to, 5 degrees is perfect working temperature.

I hate hot & cold, that's why we live in a place where you do not need AC/heat, never rains, no bugs, no extreme weather period! I would not recommend it to others that don't enjoy frequent earthquakes though. Before I realized what was going on, I used to accuse the young wife of moving the furniture around in the middle of the night!

Is it [-]October[/-] November yet?

I don't like extremely hot weather either. I'm actually thinking about where to ER based on how much hotter it can get 10-20 years down the road with global warming trends.

Here in Melbourne Australia we often get to 118 for days on end during our summer...I dream of living in a cold climate...at our summer temps you do get cabin fever cause you really can't go outside for long...oh and there is no relief at night either...the weird thing is we are not just getting hotter summers but also more humid...give me snow anyday.

Airconditioning. I don't like it. Having to live in it day and night, without windows open and fresh air, drives me crazy.

+1. Hate the heat, but here in South FL the AC is a necessary evil. Hate the 10-month long Summer and lack of real seasonal change. Hate the beach, and I live on it. :blush: (long story) Anything above 80 degrees is too hot for me. Those rare days when the thermostat collapses to around 45 (maybe twice a year, if we are lucky!) are glorious. Pure heaven. I also severely dislike the constant stickiness, not being able to wear anything other than a t-shirt, working outdoors sometimes, sweating just by going from my doorway to my car, the noise of the AC running 24/7 (not just in my place, but at the office and other people's homes... I do have sensitive hearing), etc, etc... But my wife loves it here... :(

To bad about the taxes here, because the summer weather is perfect. First home we have ever had that did not need AC. (Central Coast area, CA, about 8 miles inland).

I just can't take the heat like I used to. Played golf this morning and ran out of gas fast. Wringing wet when I finished. It was around 94 with moderate humidity, but felt like 105. Wanted a med bad, but finished off my Powerade instead. May have to just play 9 holes for awhile......until September anyway.

Folks have pretty much covered my list except for:

*having no appetite

Back
Top Bottom