Why I think RVing Sucks.

A lot of singles seem to manage the backing up and and setting up just fine.

In fact - many of them use trailers, and have obviously figured out how to back up to connect the trailer hitch without assistance from a partner. I think there are a couple of aids to help with such things.

Personally, if it were just me (i"m 5'3" and not a large person) I would go for some kind of Class B unit (camper van type), carry a bicycle. And only if going for fairly long trips would I pull a car behind the RV. But even on longer trips, if I was moving frequently - staying at places for only a few days at a time - I would probably nix towing a car.

Audrey

A lot of singles seem to manage the backing up and and setting up just fine.

In fact - many of them use trailers, and have obviously figured out how to back up to connect the trailer hitch without assistance from a partner. I think there are a couple of aids to help with such things.

Personally, if it were just me (i"m 5'3" and not a large person) I would go for some kind of Class B unit (camper van type), carry a bicycle. And only if going for fairly long trips would I pull a car behind the RV. But even on longer trips, if I was moving frequently - staying at places for only a few days at a time - I would probably nix towing a car.

Audrey

I haul up to a couple of bikes (a hybrid city bike and a 'bent) plus my Yamaha Vino 125 scooter. The scooter is on a rack on the back. I need to get help to load and unload the scooter but that never has been an issue. I love having the scooter for mobility. Two bicycles is a bit much, but I use each for different purposes. I leave the recumbent at home if I am not near bike trails but I try to be near trails.

035.JPG

Martha seems to have the perfect single set up... well maybe minus one of the bikes... but I agree with audrey if it were me I would be in a class B and not tow a car but would likely tow a scooter as well in this setup...

I can see the tradeoffs. A class B is small enough to drive to the places I would want to go, but it seems too small to live in for more than a week. Something bigger means that I would want to park it and do sightseeing and grocery store runs in something else. But, I can't see myself on a scooter on roads with speed limits above 25. So I imagine towing a small car. But then I've got a long rig and more problems setting up....

I'm sure that the only sensible thing is to rent and find out. It seems that Cruise America is a reasonable option, I saw a lot of them in Wyoming last year.

But, I've got a couple more "dreamer" questions. Martha, did you find a floorplan that worked well for a single? And, any comments on finding good places for cycling? -- do you travel to flat land or hilly places?

That's it for me too. I don't think I would be comfortable using a scooter to go get groceries, etc. if I had to go on any major road.

I remember touring someone's Chinook (very expensive Class B). Personally, as a single I think I would be just fine in one of those for an extended period assuming I was really touring and not just parked somewhere for a long while.

Born Frees look really nice too. Also $$$ I expect.

Road Trek - a bit cramped IMO. Extremely popular though. See lots of older couples traveling in them.

Yeah - try out Cruise America. That's what I see way more than anything. Those are the smaller Class C's. Very practical IMO. Big enough to camp in. Still small enough to navigate most parking lots with relative ease. The foreign tourists obviously love them - I see so many in national parks.

On cycling: We carry bicycles. Here in TX many of the state parks are enormous and have extensive low-traffic roads for cycling if not also bike paths. We don't cycle normal traffic roads unless very short distances.

Audrey

I can see the tradeoffs. A class B is small enough to drive to the places I would want to go, but it seems too small to live in for more than a week. Something bigger means that I would want to park it and do sightseeing and grocery store runs in something else. But, I can't see myself on a scooter on roads with speed limits above 25. So I imagine towing a small car. But then I've got a long rig and more problems setting up....

I'm sure that the only sensible thing is to rent and find out. It seems that Cruise America is a reasonable option, I saw a lot of them in Wyoming last year.

But, I've got a couple more "dreamer" questions. Martha, did you find a floorplan that worked well for a single? And, any comments on finding good places for cycling? -- do you travel to flat land or hilly places?

My 125 Vino will go 60 mph but that is pushing it. At 50 it cruises fine. I just stay away from freeways and I am ok. It has a decent sized bin beneath the seat plus a hook to carry a bag or two by your feet. Even without a rack I can take three small bags of groceries. The only real limitation is weather.

The floorplan of the LazyDaze twin king works great for me and is fine for two for short periods of time. My spouse and I spent 6 weeks in it with two dogs. That was at least one week too long. I just spent two months in it and was comfortable.

235tkb1.jpg

lg15.jpg

I really like the two couches in the back with the drop down table. Very comfortable. For two, the couches turn into a king size bed. For one, I sleep up over the front cab. When traveling that is where I stash my bicycles.

This winter I spent quite a bit of time in Long Beach California. I picked the park partly because it was right on a bike trail, the Los Angeles river trail, as well as a good trail system going down the coast. The Rio Grande valley was good for biking and the area Audrey now lives in is developing dedicated trails. I have also hunted down various rails to trails bike trails, mostly up north where I live.

Last edited:
The floorplan of the LazyDaze twin king works great for me and is fine for two for short periods of time.

We looked at one of these early on when we thought we'd go the Class C route. We decided that not having a dedicated bed would be a drag for full-timing. Oh, and the small fact that we're on the east coast and that you can only get a Lazy Daze on the west coast.

Great rigs though.

Just now, I visited the Web sites for used RV listings. Earlier, I said that there were good clean class Cs for the low price range of $20-25K. Not anymore. They are gone! For that price, a buyer now has to content himself with ex-rental units with high mileage. There were several that I would have bought if they were not from out-of-state. Their listings lingered for a month or two back when I was shopping. Now, I don't see the listings anymore.

Either it is now springtime and people are preparing for summer trips, or that the economy has recovered and people have started to open their wallet.

Just now, I visited the Web sites for used RV listings. Earlier, I said that there were good clean class Cs for the low price range of $20-25K. Not anymore. They are gone! For that price, a buyer now has to content himself with ex-rental units with high mileage. There were several that I would have bought if they were not from out-of-state. Their listings lingered for a month or two back when I was shopping. Now, I don't see the listings anymore.

Either it is now springtime and people are preparing for summer trips, or that the economy has recovered and people have started to open their wallet.

Just wait until the next gasoline/diesel price spike.

Ha

there are still bargains to be had but they are indeed fewer and further between...

would you mind sharing some of your favorite RV blogs?

I am sorry I just now see your post when scrolling back through this thread.

The two "philosopher RV bloggers" that I like are below. The first one still travels and has good eyes to observe Americana scenes to report on. The second one has bogged down and has not been traveling much. Politically, the 1st one is to my left, while the 2nd one is a bit to my right. I like to read them both.

Mobile Kodgers
the Occupation of Independence

By a mention from Martha in an old RV thread, I found and read the blog that started my interests in RV'ing.
Travels with Andy

There's also this younger couple who live full-time in a small trailer: Tales from Technomadia.

The last 2 blogs are non-political and not "philosophizing" so much, but a good read on RV full-timing. It's not for me, but I found the life-style interesting.

Audrey and Martha, thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about low traffic roads in state parks. I was wondering if the cab over bed really worked for an adult for extended periods, apparantly it does. That seems to make the class C more livable. Love Martha's big windows. I'm still thinking I'd want to tow a car, but understand that the only way to find out is to experiment.

OK...I've been enjoying this thread since it started & I had to register to let everyone know that back in March when the thread started I asked the wife if she'd like to rv as well. Long story short I blew 250k on a nice class A (my 1st rv) at end of March & havn't spent a nite in my house since.

Our house is now for sale (for diesel $$) and we will full time around North America till we're broke. I love this thing & the freedom it provides.

Holy cow! And it's your 1st post too! Going 1st class with a class A diesel! You the man (and woman)! My hat off to you. :dance:

Why don't you make another post in the "Hi I am" to tell us more about yourself?

OK...I've been enjoying this thread since it started & I had to register to let everyone know that back in March when the thread started I asked the wife if she'd like to rv as well. Long story short I blew 250k on a nice class A (my 1st rv) at end of March & havn't spent a nite in my house since.

Our house is now for sale (for diesel $$) and we will full time around North America till we're broke. I love this thing & the freedom it provides.

Sounds like you got the bug .. Welcome to the club.

Thumbs Up.gif

Congratulations!
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

...but we want photos!

...and stories, both good and bad.

Wow - 250K buys a pretty nice diesel class A!

Congrats

Audrey

Wow. Three weeks from the start of this thread to the purchase of a big-ticket motor home is the stuff of legend.

We want details! :)

Boaters should start a thread with the title "Yachting Sucks!". :)

Back
Top Bottom