Why I think RVing Sucks.

(emphasis mine)

I think that prudent precautions would include a single woman alone parking her van in locations that she is pretty sure are safe, as opposed to those that she thinks actually probably aren't all that safe. Call me nuts.

W2R, if you had one of these, it's a pretty safe bet that most folks would leave you alone. And, you could park overnight in the parking lot of any biker bar in the country! (like Walmart, but with different amenities...) Call you nuts?

Attachments

• bikerrv.jpg
    bikerrv.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 4
W2R, if you had one of these, it's a pretty safe bet that most folks would leave you alone. And, you could park overnight in the parking lot of any biker bar in the country! (like Walmart, but with different amenities...) Call you nuts?

But could I live with myself? I might drink drain cleaner if I had to face THAT every morning. :D

Yes ,but those Venza"s are pretty big so they could be dual purpose. Car by day. Sleeping place by night. Maybe W2R is secretly getting into camping ?

I don't know DW2RV, er, W2R, but I don't think she is planning on doing that.

I wouldn't do that either, security reasons aside. My creaky back needs a better bed, and midnight trips to the restroom would be a chore.

Can you suggest some mural or graphics for my RV, something with a mean 'tude so people wouldn't want to mess with me? Another benefit would be so that when I pull into a camping site, they (these rich cats with view-blocking class As) would quietly leave so I can have the whole area to myself, without me having to haul out my 1KW audio amplifier?

PS. ARGGH! I forgot that another RV'er with a similar mean RV might just pull up to befriend me. :hide: :banghead:

Can you suggest some mural or graphics for my RV, something with a mean 'tude so people wouldn't want to mess with me? Another benefit would be so that when I pull into a camping site, they (these rich cats with view-blocking class As) would quietly leave so I can have the whole area to myself, without me having to haul out my 1KW audio amplifier?

This might do the trick !

Attachments

• bus.jpg
    bus.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 6
I've never RV'd and probably never will. The reasons are simple:
a) I can't afford it.
b) I would be a terrible passenger. I am way too hyper to sit still for long drives.

1) Sure, it is affordable if you don't insist on getting a spanking new one.
2) You can demand to be a driver. Audrey said she is the driver because her husband does not want to. In my case, my wife always prefers to be the passenger. Works out fine for me!

But wait! You already have too many toys! A new retirement hot car, and also a boat...

"You cannot have everything! Where would you put it? " - Steven Wright​

1) Sure, it is affordable if you don't insist on getting a spanking new one.
2) You can demand to be a driver. Audrey said she is the driver because her husband does not want to. In my case, my wife always prefers to be the passenger. Works out fine for me!

But wait! You already have too many toys! A new retirement hot car, and also a boat...
"You cannot have everything! Where would you put it? " - Steven Wright
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I used to drive a 12 passenger van for the DAV. Backing that puppy up in tight situations was more than enough for me. :nonono:
My powerboat is only an 18' open bow runabout. No rearview mirrors required when floating. ;) I have gotten pretty good at maneuvering the trailer in reverse for launch/retrieval ops. I usually get it right on the second try.
I think I shall continue to live vicariously through all you RV roadsters. :D

I'm glad I'm the big rig driver, because my husband is so darn good at giving back up directions and really looking out for the rig when we are getting into a site. Plus - when we pull into the truck stop, it's so convenient for him to hop out of the passenger seat to do the fuel fill up.

Sometimes I see folks backing into a site with the spouse outside kind of flapping vaguely or not even really spotting or walking around the rig to check. Maybe I just don't understand their system :confused: but I'm just so glad I'm not the one trying to back it under those conditions.

Audrey

P.S. My husband really hates to drive - anything - unless we are way out in the boonies.

I have gotten pretty good at maneuvering the trailer in reverse for launch/retrieval ops. I usually get it right on the second try.
I think I shall continue to live vicariously through all you RV roadsters. :D
Hey - look at that. You already have all the training needed to drive and back an RV trailer. Backing a motorhome is a piece of cake compared to backing any kind of trailer.

Audrey

Sometimes I see folks backing into a site with the spouse outside kind of flapping vaguely or not even really spotting or walking around the rig to check. Maybe I just don't understand their system :confused: but I'm just so glad I'm not the one trying to back it under those conditions.

It's taken awhile, but DW has finally stopped over-signalling when I'm backing up. I don't need someone waving "come on, come on". I'm already doing that. I need her to tell me stop, or point in the direction she wants the rear of the RV to go. As the driver, I'll figure out how to do that. And, I usually stop and get out several times when backing. Once in a while, we nail it first time, but it usually takes some maneuvering to get located close to where we planned.

I prefer her direction to the guy the park sends over to make sure I don't damage their equipment.

It is always interesting to hear how others handle the driving. In our case DW does all the backing up and I do all the driving forward.. Something we got into the habit of with our first trailer and kept doing it up to our Class A. We really have it down to a science we can back out of just about anywhere with just hand signals. I have to agree with audreyh1, the class A is much easier to back up than any of the trailers were.

I prefer her direction to the guy the park sends over to make sure I don't damage their equipment.

Yeah, like the lady (owner?) who wouldn't let me back in without her directing me... I had to get out walk back and explain to her that if she couldn't see me in the mirror(s), I couldn't see her. That was some fun... and this was a small 23' van.

Yeah, like the lady (owner?) who wouldn't let me back in without her directing me... I had to get out walk back and explain to her that if she couldn't see me in the mirror(s), I couldn't see her. That was some fun... and this was a small 23' van.

In travel mode, we are 63 feet long.

We (I) are thinking about renting an RV to go visit my folks down south over spring break. I've always wanted to do this, and my boys are totally psyched. My wife, however, is less than enthusiastic. She is a bit of a clean freak and likes nice accomodations. I did a quick search and found a place - Cruise America - that seems reputable and is close by. I went out and looked a couple over yesterday. They are a couple years old and plain. About 30 feet long and built over a pickup truck. Remind me of a low-end motel room. Target market seems to be a group of guys heading over to state for football weekend, or Nascar. Very reasonable price. OK for me and the boys, I think, but I'm nervous that the wife and daughter will balk.

I briefly looked more, and saw some that were a few feet longer, and looked nicer - not built over a pick-up but more like a bus, and nicer furnishings.

Anyway, I saw this thread and thought I'd throw my situation out for any advice or insight. I'm in Pittsburgh and will go to South Carolina and back.

Thanks, Xman

We've rented RVs a half dozen times from Cruise America, never had a problem. We will do it again in Alaska this summer. In fairness though Cruise America deals with people who are campers, not travelers. The RV beats any tent I ever saw, but the average roadside motel is more comfortable and. has more privacy.

Hey people, don't badmouth CruiseAmerica RVs. The interior of my class C does look like one from CruiseAmerica. No fancy countertop or cabinetry. I am skimping on the interior to have money to splurge on the future exterior paint job with flames, crossbones, and skulls. The whole work ;)

Talk about granite countertops, my newer boonies home was built with them, while the ones in the older city home never get updated. It's funny that meals taste the same from either kitchen.

Talk about granite countertops, my newer boonies home was built with them, while the ones in the older city home never get updated. It's funny that meals taste the same from either kitchen.

I've often thought that ! :)

Do you back up all 63 feet? :cool:

Audrey

Yes!

Mounted behind our fifth wheel is a swivel-wheel extension. It is solidly attached to the rear of the fifth wheel, and goes in the direction of the rear of the RV when backing.

I have to be careful not to call it a trailer. It's a solidly mounted extension of the RV.

If that's hard to picture, google "swivel wheel".

If that's hard to picture, google "swivel wheel".

Okay. I did and this is what I find:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Swivel wheel Trialers for Towing Motorcycles

Is the Swivel Wheel System in conjunction with my Fifth Wheel trailer considered a triple tow vehicle?

Yes! It appears that the Swivelwheel System is considered to be a triple tow. Currently, there are 22 states that do not allow triple towing. These states include all states from Florida to Maine along the east coast, Oregon, and Washington. California allows triple towing, but requires the driver to have a Class-A license. California will stop out of state rigs and inspect your drivers license.

NOTE: I have talked with a a lot of individuals that pull another trailer or tow vehicle behind their fifth wheel travel trailer. (This could be a boat trailer, cargo trailer, tow, etc.) A significant number of people that I have spoken with did not realize that they were prohibited from triple towing within certain states. I would recommend checking with the state you are interested in visiting for any towing restrictions. There are a number of publications with this information at hand. The new Trailer Life Campground Guide has a chart with this information A web sites that may be useful is: Rules of the Road and Towing Laws

I'm glad I'm the big rig driver, because my husband is so darn good at giving back up directions and really looking out for the rig when we are getting into a site. Plus - when we pull into the truck stop, it's so convenient for him to hop out of the passenger seat to do the fuel fill up.

Audrey

Which leads to my question ... do you see many 60+ singles RVing, or does it take a couple to make it work?

Which leads to my question ... do you see many 60+ singles RVing, or does it take a couple to make it work?

I rv primarily alone in the winter and have for three years now. I am 55. I have a back up camera and I scout things out before backing.

A few - it's not that rare. Both sexes. And I know there are some very active internet forums for single RVers.

The singles usually travel with at least one pet.

In terms of whether it takes two - the simpler the better for RV setup if it's just one person. I usually see trailers and/or 5th wheels or Class B/Class C RVs. Not large class A motorhomes.

Audrey

Thanks. Yes, I was thinking about backing up and setting up. Also, it seems that so many floorplans assume you want to separate living and sleeping. I'd expect a single would want one room.

Back
Top Bottom