Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It's unlikely that any of the 5.1 channels in an affordable modern system would be as good as any of the two channels you have in that classic.

Quality over quantity. Be happy!

-ERD50
I didn't mention that I have a nice pair of rear B speakers that Sansui 7070 receiver also pushes, to provide a virtual 3D listening experience.

Rrecall that I bought this system in my college days (anyone else remember the early 1970s?)--when The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, and tons of other greats were played heavily on that stereo. Oh, those were the days!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 02:24 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Why not spend more on me now than later?"

People who are truly frugal never like to spend money, now or later. The feeling of financial insecurity ("will I have enough money in the future to be able to survive?") is always present. Therefore we just save now for the future. Check the endless discussions here about a 0.5 point difference in SWR, or a 10% difference in AA, or the importance of inflation in out FIRE models. I guess many of us are afraid. There is nothing we can do against it, that's the way we are.

I already know my spending patterns will continue to be frugal when I retire, even if my spreadsheet shows I can spend two or three times more annually.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
...Recall that I bought this system in my college days (anyone else remember the early 1970s?)--when The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, and tons of other greats were played heavily on that stereo. Oh, those were the days!
I entered college in 1974, so perhaps am a couple of years younger. But I listened to many oldies of the 50s, 60s, and occasionally some from the 40s.

This thread diverting to audio topics gets me interested in vintage gear again. As reported in another thread, yesterday I opened up one of my old receivers and fixed its variable tuning capacitor, and restrung the dial cord.

Next thing to do is to open up the old Pioneer CS-88 speakers to see if I could revive its high frequency response by changing out the caps in the crossover network. Perhaps 10 years ago, I started to notice that they sounded dull, but never thought of the deterioration of the caps, until surfing the Web a day or two ago and found out that many people had to do that.

About your vintage Advent speakers, have you had to refoam them? Besides the Pioneer speakers, I also have another set from Sansui with 14" woofers. Both my Pioneer and Sansui specific models all use cloth suspension instead of foam surround, hence have no problems in that area so far. My big Sansuis still sound brilliant, albeit a bit weak in the bass despite the huge woofers (they weigh 60lbs each). I still like these speakers, despite them being call "Kabuki" on an audio enthusiast forum.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post

People who are truly frugal never like to spend money, now or later. The feeling of financial insecurity ("will I have enough money in the future to be able to survive?") is always present. Therefore we just save now for the future. Check the endless discussions here about a 0.5 point difference in SWR, or a 10% difference in AA, or the importance of inflation in out FIRE models. I guess many of us are afraid. There is nothing we can do against it, that's the way we are.

I already know my spending patterns will continue to be frugal when I retire, even if my spreadsheet shows I can spend two or three times more annually.
I wouldn't say it is all fear driven, though caution is certainly a part of it. I just think of it as a fun game to live well for low cost. I like the idea of being anti-marketing oriented and trying to find fun things to do without spending a lot of money.

Last fall one day we went on rocket boats in SF Bay with discounted Goldstar tickets, sat on a bench on Fisherman's Wharf in the sun with a healthy snack from home, watched the sea lions for free, and went to the Aquarium on the Bay with a free library pass. Part of the fun for me is being able to find and plan stuff to do like that and not spend much money.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #65

Quote:

Yeah, and there's no right or wrong about how each of us does this. At one end of extreme, people spend everything they make and more, month in and month out. At the other end of extreme, people accumulate wealth for the sake of accumulation (well beyond what they will ever need). Almost all of us probably fall somewhere in between.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

We do plan on traveling a lot at first when we retire in a few years (mid-50's). So many things have said to travel more when you are younger as it will be easier to do.

To plan for that I basically have carved out $100k as a bonus travel budget that we will draw around $10k/year against over and above the travel budget already planned. Travel is really the only thing I see splurging on from my typical LBYM way.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #67
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm right there with ya. We've lived beneath our means and saved, time to loosen up a bit. We're pretty conservative, so won't be blowing $$1000s on a turntable That said, dropping it on boat fuel, or travel is reality. So... it comes down to how certain of the FIRE plan are we all? I've seen some folks who plan for 95% plus survival, at 95% success. Really, does anyone believe the models are that accurate? I'm looking at 40 years survival, and high 80s for success. Any thoughts ?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
My favorite words to myself are "you'll thank me for this." I'll never been wrong. Delayed gratification leads to success in just about every endeavor of life (including retirement).
Nailed it! Good to know I am not the only one who has these little "talks" with myself as I put aside money every month for the "freedom fund."
Old 02-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #69
Dryer sheet wannabe

also, the "dullness" in the speakers might be your ears. decreased hi hz hearing is the first thing. takes longer to lose the bass hearing
Old 02-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi55 View Post
Really, does anyone believe the models are that accurate?
They'll be 100% accurate if the future exactly resembles the past......
Old 02-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #71

Quote:
also, the "dullness" in the speakers might be your ears. decreased hi hz hearing is the first thing. takes longer to lose the bass hearing
Hence, listen to music now than later ....
Old 02-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'm firmly in the 'price does not buy enjoyment' camp. As an example from last Saturday, I could have bought a ticket to a brewery festival ($50, I think, most going to charity, so I would not have batted an eye). But then I'd have concentrated on finding the best or rare beers, probably would have consumed more, and not felt good the next day. Instead, I volunteered for the festival, had tons of contact with other enthusiasts, found creative ways to make the festival run smoothly, got praise from paying guests and festival organizers, and still was able to sample the food and beverages in moderation. That was a 2x joy experience over just showing up with a ticket, even though I was "working"!
Fantastic example!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not true with me! I can tell that my JBL and the Sansui still sound great in the high range. It's just those CS-88 that sounded dull.

Before I change out the caps in the crossover, I am going to run a frequency sweep to prove to myself that the signals do not get to the tweeters, and it's not me who is going deaf.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #74

Off subject, but NW-Bound's post made me think of this.

When at the BX in Vietnam, a couple of us were looking at amplifiers and speakers, and discussing the merits of each's high range. In walked our Flight Surgeon. Upon hearing our conversations he said: 'You guys are crazy! i know what you fly, and I have seen your hearing test. You are wasting your money on anything over a basic set. Only your wife and dog will hear the high range.' Still have two round Pioneer speakers. Not sure the model number.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Back Rustic 23. It's about time for another ER Houston reunion.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Same for me. I was quite free with money until my first child was born when I was 35, and then I began to think "this is for real". I've been careful and basically frugal ever since, and I likely would not change if some doctor told me I had only one year to live. I wouldn't be running around spending money, I'd be in church!

Ha
Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #77

Quote:

Yep you nailed it! As I said I'll spend money if I think it is justified no qualms about it but it isn't easy getting that justification!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
... Still have two round Pioneer speakers. Not sure the model number.
Are these the ones (image linked from Web)? That would be the Pioneer CS-06.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #79

That's them. Used as end tables have not had them hooked up in years, like 30!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
My favorite words to myself are "you'll thank me for this." I'll never been wrong. Delayed gratification leads to success in just about every endeavor of life (including retirement).
"Delayed gratification" delayed until when? For me, after a lifetime of delaying it, it's about time to reap the rewards!