It's been two years already!

goingtotravel

Recycles dryer sheets
Time for an update since I have been reflecting on how happy I've been since May 2021. It's been 2 years for me and about 2 1/2 years for DH since we FIRE'd. No regrets at all and wish we could have quit sooner. Still a frequent lurker on this forum and thought it was time for an update.

Here's what's happened since then:

* DH was approved for VA Disability. He is 160% disabled according to the VA. So we have both FEHB and VA healthcare (for him)/FEHB and CHAMPVA (for me) for HI.
* We haven't traveled as much as we hoped. A few domestic trips but after DH has a major surgery later this year we hope to be able to go overseas together mid-2024.
* I took two solo trips. One domestically to see family and my first international solo trip which was to Japan. A last minute decision to treat myself for my birthday. It was my first solo visit but my fifth trip to Japan so it was easy and enjoyable. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
* We are updating the house and only pulling retirement funds for big projects. Pulled out around 2.5% last year and half that this year. No financial worries which means all the time I spent in the last two years pre-FIRE modeling our budget and income streams was worthwhile. We have more in our accounts now than when we retired.
* Spent significant time going through every closet and storage room in our home trying to get rid of items we haven't used. Hoping to complete a second purge of our extra 'stuff' this year.

What hasn't gone as planned/improvements needed:

* DH has had a lot of health issues earlier in our retirement than anticipated. Unfortunately that has changed our plans from mostly travel to mostly home improvement projects.
* Still trying to find something in my community to get involved in to meet new people. I was burnt out on volunteer work before I retired so not ready to step back into that again. I am too young for senior centers/senior groups. Hoping to find some time this year to try out some new activities and find a group that is a good fit for me.

Overall we have zero regrets about retiring and wish we could have done it earlier (we quit at 56 for full benefits). I could literally feel the pressure melt away the first month after I FIRE'd. Not sure if it was dumb luck or brilliant planning that got us to this point but whatever it was it sure seems worth it from where we are now!

Congratulations on your anniversary! You have certainly been busy. It seems your pre-retirement preparation has allowed you to pursue some interesting options (without financial worries). The trip to Japan sounds amazing. Best wishes for your DH's recovery.

Thanks for the update. Almost exactly two years for me, too. I remember updating you on the "Class of 2021" thread ocasionally. Glad to hear your stress levels are way down! Best wishes on the health issues, and good luck on your activities "to-do list"!

Always nice to read updates from folks, it looks like your retirement is going well.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your DH surgery later, and continued good health.

So glad it's w*rking out for you. Thanks for the update.

Congrats on 2 years. I'm coming up on 3 years on July 1st. Currently, it's our elderly parents with all the serious medical problems, although DW and I have had our minor ones. We've traveled domestically and to Europe over the past 2 years - looking forward to Greece this fall.

Congratulations! I hope you continue to enjoy your retirement.

Congratulations! Not having to stress about work in addition to your husband's health issues must be a relief.

I'm now past 3 1/2 years since retirement; 4+ years for my wife, though she does some work for her former company.

The past year has been the best so far. We have routines, my wife is making connections in our new area, and we've had two major vacations go well. With my wife now taking Social Security, the income bump is helping us quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom