Why Not Spend More on Me Now than Later?

"Why not spend more on me now than later?"

People who are truly frugal never like to spend money, now or later. The feeling of financial insecurity ("will I have enough money in the future to be able to survive?") is always present. Therefore we just save now for the future. Check the endless discussions here about a 0.5 point difference in SWR, or a 10% difference in AA, or the importance of inflation in out FIRE models. I guess many of us are afraid. There is nothing we can do against it, that's the way we are.

I already know my spending patterns will continue to be frugal when I retire, even if my spreadsheet shows I can spend two or three times more annually.
Same for me. I was quite free with money until my first child was born when I was 35, and then I began to think "this is for real". I've been careful and basically frugal ever since, and I likely would not change if some doctor told me I had only one year to live. I wouldn't be running around spending money, I'd be in church!

Ha

Last edited:
"Why not spend more on me now than later?"

People who are truly frugal never like to spend money, now or later. The feeling of financial insecurity ("will I have enough money in the future to be able to survive?") is always present. Therefore we just save now for the future. Check the endless discussions here about a 0.5 point difference in SWR, or a 10% difference in AA, or the importance of inflation in out FIRE models. I guess many of us are afraid. There is nothing we can do against it, that's the way we are.

I already know my spending patterns will continue to be frugal when I retire, even if my spreadsheet shows I can spend two or three times more annually.

Yep you nailed it! As I said I'll spend money if I think it is justified no qualms about it but it isn't easy getting that justification!

... Still have two round Pioneer speakers. Not sure the model number.

Are these the ones (image linked from Web)? That would be the Pioneer CS-06.

Pioneer_CS-06_Stereo_speakers_web.jpg

My favorite words to myself are "you'll thank me for this." I'll never been wrong. Delayed gratification leads to success in just about every endeavor of life (including retirement).
"Delayed gratification" delayed until when? For me, after a lifetime of delaying it, it's about time to reap the rewards! :dance:

Last edited:
"Delayed gratification" delayed until when? For me, after a lifetime of delaying it, it's about time to reap the rewards! :dance:

Couldn't agree more! It's exactly where I am this year and next. It's why I feel so great today after sleeping for the first time last night on my new expensive mattress and bed that were delivered yesterday. There is a time and a place for all spending, just as there is a time and place for everything in life. Now was the time to buy that mattress and bed after having saved for it. It was an awesome decision as the satisfaction and experience are priceless.

Delayed gratification doesn't necessrily mean not spending. To me, it means wise and optimal spending. Sometimes that means not spending at all, other times it means spending at the right time. Optimal spending often means spending the right amount for the right product at the right time, for the right reason. Only we can decide what that is for each of us.

Your mileage almost definitely will vary...

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more! It's exactly where I am this year and next. It's why I feel so great today after sleeping for the first time last night on my new expensive mattress and bed that were delivered yesterday. There is a time and a place for all spending, just as there is a time and place for everything in life. Now was the time to buy that mattress and bed after having saved for it. It was an awesome decision as the satisfaction and experience are priceless.

Delayed gratification doesn't necessrily mean not spending. To me, it means wise and optimal spending. Sometimes that means not spending at all, other times it means spending at the right time. Optimal spending often means spending the right amount for the right product at the right time, for the right reason. Only we can decide what that is for each of us.

Totally agree. We are updating our kitchen (new cabinets, countertop, faucets, backsplash, etc) and feel we deserve it. It should help in resale value also so its a double benefit. You can't take it with you.

Off subject, but NW-Bound's post made me think of this.

When at the BX in Vietnam, a couple of us were looking at amplifiers and speakers, and discussing the merits of each's high range. In walked our Flight Surgeon. Upon hearing our conversations he said: 'You guys are crazy! i know what you fly, and I have seen your hearing test. You are wasting your money on anything over a basic set. Only your wife and dog will hear the high range.' Still have two round Pioneer speakers. Not sure the model number.

LOL!! Had the same type of conversation with a Flight Surgeon at the "Far West Trader" in Subic Bay. I bought what I wanted anyway and still have a couple of components. Flew A-6 Intruders and am going to the biggest reunion in 20 years the first weekend in April in Pensacola, FL.

+1

Hey Rustic, do you want to keep yours anymore? You may have a buyer here.

This 3-way speaker used a 10" down-firing woofer, four 5" midrange drivers, and four 2.25" tweeters. I saw a pair at Goodwill some time ago, but they were beaten up bad, there's nothing left to salvage.

Pioneer_CS-06_Frame.jpg

I have a six speaker amp and currently only have four speakers hooked up. Thought about making these the center speakers. Just have not gotten around to it

Back
Top Bottom