Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
For years I had planned to retire at age 55...
then as I approached age 55, I began hedging...
telling myself... maybe I will work a year to two
longer... I kept mulling it over in my mind... then
certain things suddenly began to happen and events
began to fall into place that mandated my retirement.
So, as it turned out... I retired a week after my 55th

It was one of the best decisions I ever made...
Thanks God for giving me that push

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2007, 04:31 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by TROYRAY View Post
Hello Group, I will be retiring on January 31, 2008, after almost 30 years with the City, all within the same Dept.
Like you, I spent most of my "adult life" at the same company. While I did "work" at two other places (12 years combined) before I started at my "terminal employer", for 28+ years my leaving (also because of change in company owners/management) was sort of bittersweet.

You have to realize that your time there was more than just a "j*b", in the sense that you probably spent more wakeing time there than with your own family and/or friends.

It will almost seem a bit like death or divorce. You don't necessarily plan for either, but you know that they may/will happen so you think about what you will do "after".

Also, like you (I believe) I didn't have any strong "outside interests" that would want to make me leave, so that's another "problem" for us "senior folks" (unlike the younger crowd that seem to change jobs easily).

All I know that when I retired (this year, age 59) I knew it was "time". Also like you, I knew that I would be financially comfortable with my decision.

It took me about three months of sitting around, working around the house, and wondering if I had done the right thing.

My wife said that I needed to "get out" (she still works) and do "something". OK, so what will I do? My skills are limited (so I believed) in what my j*b was.

After several attemps at volunteer work (assisting low income folks in financial planning - e.g. budgets, credit report reviews, etc.) I started volunteer work on the local Meals On Wheels (food delivery to elderly/shut-ins). What started out as a 2x/month schedule is now 2-3 days a week, and I greatly enjoy it (only takes 2-3 hours a day).

What I enjoy most is that the folks you are delivering to often give you "thanks" for their meal delivery (can't tell you the last time I heard the word when I was "employed"). For the first time in a great many years, I feel that I'm making a difference in someone's life (and they can't pay you for that feeling).

Just hang in there. You will find something - remember, you are starting the "best time of your life". Relax, and enjoy the ride (and the possibilities)...

- Ron

rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Congratulations Troy Ray ! When I retired I started selling on ebay .I got rid of a lot of stuff and I really enjoy it .I do it when I want to and then I stop for awhile .I also take courses at the local college or cooking school .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #44
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Just when I hit mandatory retirement age at the airline, the small police department where I also worked, got rid of the Chief and asked me to take over, which I had done for 3 years about 10 years ago. Pay was poor but hey, it's all gravey. And the chance to straighten things out for a second time.
Well, 2 1/2 years went by and the frustrations of low budget and low quality employees became overwhelming; I gave my notice in July and retired in mid-November. Perhaps some time later I'll feel better about it; right now I feel like I wasted 2 1/2 years of my life trying to do an impossible job. I'm more bummed out by the cops than by the crooks.
I am proud to have worn the uniform, and the class of people I worked with was very high. But there were a very few who should not have been there and generally they didn't stay long.

I suppose it depends on the agency and their standards, and what the community is willing to pay for. Where we live now, the department does not pay well and requires only a high school diploma. Recruitment, longevity, and quality are issues for those agencies. Where I worked they would hire with an AA degree, but no advancement without a Bachelors.

The taxpayers get what they pay for as in so many other things....
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #45
As one wise relative told me "When it's time to retire you will know".

When I retired I was doing computer forensics (data recovery combined with search and seizure law, an esoteric combination) and online crime investigations - fraud, stalking, E-mail threats, etc. and fully enjoyed the work. For a long time I felt that I was lucky that they were actually paying me for this!

But playing in that arena is expensive - you need to be constantly updating training, equipment and software and I got tired of dealing with the bureaucracy - the last time we bought new equipment there had been two upgrades by the time the originally specified gear arrived, and training was hard to come by. So when I looked at the retirement numbers and realized that if I retired my net pay would increase, I thought "I'm working here WHY?" So I pulled the plug and moved to a location where we don't have to plan our lives around traffic.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote