Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not yet FIREd, but many people seem perplexed that I want to get out as soon as practical. I hear "Won't you be bored?" a lot, and my answer is always that I've been bored before, but I never thought being at work was the antidote...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I often find myself bored on Sundays just counting down the hours till I can return to my life... I mean work... Monday morning

(where is that sarcasm font when I need it?)

Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Boring people are easily bored.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
Boring people are easily bored.
That might be a good response the next time someone asks you "Won't you be bored"? I'll bet they walk away quick.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
There were days when I was bored in school, then later bored at work. I get bored in retirement.

I understand now I don't really get bored...I'm just lazy.

Lazy feels good.
I guess I am just lazy then (although lazy doesn't feel very good to me.)

I am bored a lot of times. (I am not even FIRED yet)
Old 10-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Unless one has an army of servants or contractors at your disposal, it seems like there is always plenty to do around the house to keep one busy. Cooking, cleaning, exercising, relaxing, playing with pets, you name it. Add a few activities like socializing, traveling, enjoying hobbies, or shopping and you've got a pretty full calendar.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I notice after 19 years of ER - watching grass grow and paint dry requires dedication and intense concentration lest pukey thoughts of things like 'work' intrude.

heh heh heh -
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #28

Retired 23 years ago.
Am in control of my life.
Cannot imagine boredom.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Cannot imagine boredom.
Of course you are not bored. Too many toys!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #30

2+ years in and I can count on my fingers the number of hours I've been bored. And thinking about it now, I don't remember anyone asking me the question (either before or since I FIREd). Not sure what that says about me - or my friends.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I was a little bored this afternoon. Shame on me. Really it all comes down to having objectives and creativity and imagination, plus a little energy.

But I would rather be bored around my apartment than bored in some stupid meeting or bored stuck in traffic on a long commute home.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired at age 55. Now 60. Never bored. Love being retired. I have had people ask me if I wished I was still working. Of course my answer is... no.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked semi part time this year, taking about 10 weeks off. I was never, ever bored on the off weeks. Instead, I was always annoyed I had to go back to work because I had run out of time to do the stuff I do when I'm not working.

Don't think I'll ever be bored. Maybe for the odd afternoon then and again, but not often.

Can't wait!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if the people who ask this question are often bored in their current day-to-day lives?

I can't remember the last time I was bored. Though I do tend to have a pretty active imagination that can keep things interesting even if I have nothing physically going on, so that probably helps.

I am years away yet, and I can't wait to delve more deeply into my hobbies, and pick up new ones.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nords will be along shortly to point out anyone who cannot manage their own entertainment is truly a lousy manager - and that has nothing to do with age.
Present!

Clearly these people do not surf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
It seems I've been talking to the wrong people..here's a sampling of replies I get when I bring up the subject:
"You'll go crazy! Look at your Brother-in-Law!
"You don't want that..I was off for 2 weeks recently, and didn't know what to do"
"Your too young to retire"
and my favorite:
"But these are the peak earning years!"
Myths of military retirement and early retirement

My favorite, frequently heard among military servicemembers, is "I still want to be relevant. I think I still have it in me. I want to run with the big dogs, not rust on the porch."

Well, fine, you wanna be relevant, PACOM has a whole bunch of delinquent point papers and outdated OPLANs that some eager-beaver action officer could make a dent in...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #36

I can confirm I will not be bored. Although I live on my own, I have many volunteer projects here in the US and abroad. I also have a European citizenship, as well as a condo there, which repairs etc will keep me busy.

Additionally, my new girlfriend has an 8 year old daugher who is quite a handful. My girlfriend wants me to be fully involved. I have never been been a father so I look forward to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
A couple of the people at work told me today that I would certainly be bored when I stop working next April.

That led to a thought on the way home. I've just turned 63 and I don't think I'll be bored when not working. The guys who asked me that are early to mid 50's.

Assuming the people who ask us if we'll be bored in retirement want to someday retire themselves, will they be less bored when they retire at 70 than they would be if they retired early?

Seems to me that if boredom is an issue, it will be just as big an issue at 65 or 70 or 75, or maybe even more so since your activities might be more limited.

What do you guys think?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I just negotiated for 2013 24 weeks x 4 days/week of working. I already have a little anxiety about whether that is enough time off to fit in all the things I want to do and accomplish outside of work. Don't think I can be bored. I feel sorry for friends, family, and colleagues that think they or I would be too bored working less. Obviously, they don't live life the same way.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
....... Unfortunately, 12 months after she retired she got cancer and died 9 months later so he had zero retirement time with his wife of 40+ years........
I have seen this tragedy happen so often it has become a major motivator towards ER.

IMHO- Boredom can happen whether w#rking FT or not.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathoner View Post
I wonder if the people who ask this question are often bored in their current day-to-day lives?
I wonder too. I'm sure I'm not the only one, who after being retired for a year, honestly wondered how I ever had had time to work!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I wonder too. I'm sure I'm not the only one, who after being retired for a year, honestly wondered how I ever had had time to work!
"Work" helped me manage my time much more effectively than I seem to manage it when left to my own imagination & entertainment...

On a serious note, we're approaching the first anniversary of the sudden death (cerebral hemorrhage) of a friend/neighbor. He and his spouse were in their mid-60s and had the assets to support their retirement lifestyle. However they both grew up in relative poverty, had a strong work ethic, didn't actually hate their jobs, and planned to keep working until they'd paid off their mortgage & car loans. (In his case it was "just two more years".) Both of them were in great health, no issues, no medications, loving life. They were going to use the extra cash to travel, to renovate their home, and to gift the kids. He and I used to joke with each other (over frosty beverages while sitting on his back lanai admiring his view of the Ko'olau) about how he couldn't understand why I'd pass up all that money to go surfing and I couldn't understand why he'd give up all his time for that money.

Until one afternoon he didn't come home from work and died in the ICU a few days later. It was the most painful funeral I've attended since my mother's.

His widow has adult children on the island, and they visit frequently. We've stayed in touch while giving her space. We take care of handyman repairs for her, and she brings us food. A few months ago she taught our daughter how to make pizza and manapua from scratch. Now she's setting aside the widow image, coming out of her shell and trying to spend more time out & about. My spouse has spent the last few weeks taking daily evening walks with her. Depending on the strength of her anger & sorrow, they do 2-4 miles at a pretty fast clip. It's been almost a year and now his widow can finish most of the walks without crying. But they're still dealing with paperwork and benefits and a host of other bureaucratic issues. They'll be solved, but they take time & energy. She's financially secure but she's decided that she's going to work for another year or two... mainly because she can.

One side effect has been that my spouse has come home just about every day for nearly a year and said "Nords, if you leave me a young widow then I'm gonna kill you." You married veterans know that the only proper response is "I love you too, honey!"

So... for all those who are worried about boredom, I think you're worrying about the wrong problem.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote