Join Early Retirement Today

Work until you die
Old 10-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Work until you die

An article in today's Globe and Mail says that in a recent survey, 18% of men and 12% of women entrepreneurs who RE plan to start their own businessses and work indefinitely.

reportonbusiness.com: Work until you die

There's an interesting reader discussion in which some people sound just like Forum members and others see no future except drudgery.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have heard that running one's own business is more fun than working for someone else. The only time I tried it, I earned a lot but hated it.

No danger that I will willingly work after ER. Not going to happen. Now, I might volunteer if I felt like I could make a difference in the world, or in a life.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I have heard that running one's own business is more fun than working for someone else.
It is. (but it's still work)
Old 10-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know several business owners that are in their 70's. They all say they'll give it up when it ceases being fun. There are a lot of older people in the business community that just have to stay in contact with the business world.

I remember the old guy that my dad worked for back in the 50's, probably a millionaire at the time. When he finally sold the company he rented an office downtown with a secretary and came in every day. From what my dad said he had several philanthropic projects he liked to play with. He just enjoyed the office environment and must have liked being the boss, which maybe he wasn't at home.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #5

My grandfather sold his farm and retired at 80. Within two years he had bought another and was back to work. I guess when you spend 60+ years doing something you like you don't want to quit. My great-uncle retired from his law practive at 96. Dead in 6 months. I guess when you spend 70+ years doing something you like you don't want to quit. Both had more money than the could ever spend, so that wasn't the issue.

Me, I retired from Mega-Corp at 58. Maybe being your own boss makes work better? I like ER enough that I'm not going to find out. To each his own.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I have heard that running one's own business is more fun than working for someone else. The only time I tried it, I earned a lot but hated it.
I think there is a fine line between "be your own boss" and "be your own slave". If you're not loving what you're doing the additional concerns of running your own concern can make it much more the latter.
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement to me is going about your life on your own terms. IMHO, if you don't need the $$ then running a small business definitely isn't work. I really can't imagine my retirement without running a part time one man business of some kind.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Retirement to me is going about your life on your own terms. IMHO, if you don't need the $$ then running a small business definitely isn't work. I really can't imagine my retirement without running a part time one man business of some kind.
I can and do. But, I also accept/understand/support your desire to do so. ER is not about not working (if working is definded as a money making activity), it's about doing whatever you want to do.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkythewonderdog View Post
I think there is a fine line between "be your own boss" and "be your own slave". If you're not loving what you're doing the additional concerns of running your own concern can make it much more the latter.
I agree! The "fun part" for me was designing the product, which I had already done before starting to build them on my kitchen table. Building them was boring but bearable. On the other hand, the business aspects and legalities just were not my cup of tea, to put it mildly.

I made enough with the first order to buy a brand new 1987 Daytona with a sunroof with a little cash left over, and then stopped taking orders for my product even though the demand was still there. There is a lot more to the reality of starting up a small business than I had realized, so it was a good learning experience. Even though they can be surprisingly profitable, I'll leave small businesses to those more suited to this type of endeavor!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I started selling on Ebay and Amazon after I retired . It's a hobby and a lot of fun .I do it when the mood hits me and then I stop for awhile . Not a big money maker but it keeps me amused .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
... There are a lot of older people in the business community that just have to stay in contact with the business world.

I remember the old guy that my dad worked for back in the 50's, probably a millionaire at the time. When he finally sold the company he rented an office downtown with a secretary and came in every day. From what my dad said he had several philanthropic projects he liked to play with. He just enjoyed the office environment and must have liked being the boss, which maybe he wasn't at home.
I knew a guy like that, after retiring three times, he kept an office so as not to disturb his wife's routine at home.

I imagine I could "stay in contact with the business world" just by going to the library and seeing all the people (like me now) who rush in and out on break or lunch hour.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #12

[quote=kumquat;568163]My grandfather sold his farm and retired at 80. Within two years he had bought another and was back to work. I guess when you spend 60+ years doing something you like you don't want to quit. My great-uncle retired from his law practive at 96. Dead in 6 months. I guess when you spend 70+ years doing something you like you don't want to quit. Both had more money than the could ever spend, so that wasn't the issue.
quote]
Am I glad I quit before I got THAT used to it (30 years ).
I'm like you... I ain't going back ... and you can't make me!