Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
Back in 1995 I was discharged with 15+ years of active duty. Ignoring details (get a good lawyer) I got back into reserve status, and finished my 20 in the reserves. Yes, I won't see a military pension until after age 60, and the service recovers all my severance pay… but, for now I have commissary / exchange access, and at 60 TRICARE turns on… it will be years later yet for the pension…
Yeah, the military will recoup up to 40% out of your pension, so you will still get a pension at 60.
__________________

__________________
Neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
martyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bossier City
Posts: 2,182
I retired from the reserves in 2010. Since we live near an AF base, we shop the commissary every week, and use the exchange whenever we want to. This base has several good fishing lakes too, so I spend time doing that. I'm using the fitness center as well. I'm 56 1/2 so 3 1/2 yrs till I start drawing my pay. On the fence about using Tricare, but maybe.... Of my 33 yrs military time, only 4 1/2 yrs was active duty. I was enlisted.
__________________

__________________
“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”
-John F. Kennedy

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indialantic FL
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neecy View Post
Thanks! I have been in the Reserve since 2012. Glad I returned or I would have walked away from a pension. I have 22 years as of today.
Have you requested your 20 year letter from the Reserves? That is the official validation that you have 20 good reserve years for retirement purposes.
__________________
JimnJana
"The four most dangerous words in investing are 'This time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton
jimnjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Have you requested your 20 year letter from the Reserves? That is the official validation that you have 20 good reserve years for retirement purposes.
Yes, I have my 20 year letter. I requested an audit in 2012 and they added my Army National Guard time as well. Due to the audit, I reached 20 years in December 2012. I have to do two more years to retire as a Lt Col. I pinned on October 2013.
__________________
Neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I retired from the reserves in 2010. Since we live near an AF base, we shop the commissary every week, and use the exchange whenever we want to. This base has several good fishing lakes too, so I spend time doing that. I'm using the fitness center as well. I'm 56 1/2 so 3 1/2 yrs till I start drawing my pay. On the fence about using Tricare, but maybe.... Of my 33 yrs military time, only 4 1/2 yrs was active duty. I was enlisted.
Wow, that is a lot of time in the Reserve. Were you an ART? How is Bossier? I have a rental house there. Bossier seems to have really expanded since I was there in 2002.
__________________
Neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
martyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bossier City
Posts: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neecy View Post
Wow, that is a lot of time in the Reserve. Were you an ART? How is Bossier? I have a rental house there. Bossier seems to have really expanded since I was there in 2002.
Yep, I was an ART from 1981 through most of 2008. I spent 15 years with the 924th in Austin, TX and then when BRAC closed us, I transferred to Barksdale and worked with the 917th until '08, when I left the ART world & went to work for Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) in Wisconsin. Spent a year there, then transferred to Lufkin TX in '09. Stayed in Lufkin till Jan '14, when I got a transfer back to Shreveport. After 6 months, decided to go ahead & hang it up. We live in north Bossier. You're right, this place is growing fast. Unemployment rate is better than most of the country and housing is more expensive than I'd like. Still, hard to beat the low property taxes. I go on base average once a week...commissary, etc. In the late 90's I worked as a realtor in the local area, tried to concentrate mostly on Bossier. RE prices sure have gone up since then!
__________________
“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”
-John F. Kennedy

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Yep, I was an ART from 1981 through most of 2008. I spent 15 years with the 924th in Austin, TX and then when BRAC closed us, I transferred to Barksdale and worked with the 917th until '08, when I left the ART world & went to work for Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) in Wisconsin. Spent a year there, then transferred to Lufkin TX in '09. Stayed in Lufkin till Jan '14, when I got a transfer back to Shreveport. After 6 months, decided to go ahead & hang it up. We live in north Bossier. You're right, this place is growing fast. Unemployment rate is better than most of the country and housing is more expensive than I'd like. Still, hard to beat the low property taxes. I go on base average once a week...commissary, etc. In the late 90's I worked as a realtor in the local area, tried to concentrate mostly on Bossier. RE prices sure have gone up since then!
Yeah, I love the low property taxes. Glad I kept my house and didn't sell it in 2004.
__________________
Neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
martyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bossier City
Posts: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neecy View Post
Yeah, I love the low property taxes. Glad I kept my house and didn't sell it in 2004.
Yep, and I really wish we'd kept ours when we moved to WI in '08. It would be close to being paid off now, or better, and I could rent it for $1700 or more. Wife didn't want to, thought it would get destroyed. I should have tried harder to convince her. I honestly didn't think I'd get transferred back here. It sold in less than 30 days when we listed it. Live & learn.
__________________
“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”
-John F. Kennedy

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Yep, and I really wish we'd kept ours when we moved to WI in '08. It would be close to being paid off now, or better, and I could rent it for $1700 or more. Wife didn't want to, thought it would get destroyed. I should have tried harder to convince her. I honestly didn't think I'd get transferred back here. It sold in less than 30 days when we listed it. Live & learn.
Yeah, I could've gotten $10,000 (before giving my realtor her 6%) from it in 2004. I think it appreciated $50,000-$60,000 in 10 years. My property manager is really good and owns most of my block. According to Zillow, I can get $1,500, but I am only renting it for $1,300. I refinanced it last year for a 4% interest rate. If I wasn't sidetracked from being RIF'd in 2011, I would be near paying it off. I paid an extra mortgage payment when I lived overseas for about a year.
__________________

__________________
Neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tricare - Active Duty Fireup2020 Health and Early Retirement 19 10-29-2010 09:02 AM
Active-duty military: investing the promotion pay raises Nords FIRE and Money 28 09-07-2009 11:29 AM
Active Duty Army officer looking for advice av8er Hi, I am... 6 07-09-2009 11:09 PM
18 years active duty facing medical retirement board lso1963 Hi, I am... 2 07-20-2008 02:48 AM
Active-duty military looking for information USAFDream Hi, I am... 8 04-14-2008 02:59 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.