Bad decision?

I'm getting side tracked. I have wanted to own a certain type of car for years now and I am now at the point in which between my trade in value and low interest loan, I can get it for about $250 per month. I have dreamed of owning one of these for years (did I mention that). It is used but in great condition (30k miles).

Obvious problem, that is $250/month not going toward FIRE. How do you balance the want in life with FIRE? Right now I'm having a hard time saying "no" to myself, so maybe I'm looking for a reality check here.

So, you can get it for $250 per month, huh? Man, the car salespeople just love that kind of thinking. They make their living off of people who buy cars according to how much they can afford to pay each month.

What is the price of the car? What is the average book value looking at 2 or more web auto sites like Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com)?

How many years are you going to finance the car for? 2? 3? 5? 6? Will the car still be running when the loan is paid off?

Where are you financing? On the lot? Bank? credit union?

What interest rate are you paying?

Have you called your insurance agent yet to find out what your new insurance premium will be?

Really need more info before we can give you an intelligent answer. The art of buying cars is something every young person needs to study seriously before they embark on a lifetime of expensive bad decisions. One of the best lessons my father ever taught me.

Sadly, the military has traditionally been full of people with fancy cars and zero (or negative) net worth.

I don't know whether the enjoyment you will get from the car is worth the money. But I do endorse the advice of others that if you can't pay cash, save until you can afford to do so. Financing consumer items is both an unnecessary expense and a bad habit to get into.

I own 4 Bimmers. Fantastic autos-the driving experience is much superior to North American built cars.
We all have our toys; and if cars are it for you, that's fine. But "the driving experience"?! Methinks you've drunk the marketing Koolaid.

It's a well made piece of transportation.
Depends on what you mean by "well-made". Highly engineered and a pleasure to drive, certainly, but a well-made car doesn't need $500 suspension jobs. I regularly keep Japanese cars to 140,000 miles or more and I am disapppointed if I need to change so much as a pair of shock absorbers in that time.

I have a list of great cars which I would like somebody else to pay for. BMW is on there, along with Alfa Romeo and Peugeot. Heck, when I rent a car, I smile when they tell me I'm getting a Ford (European Ford, that is); they're a pleasure to drive. But with my own money? Right now I have a 10-year-old Mazda, a 9-year-old Nissan, and a brand new :cool: Hyundai (5 year warranty).

It depends where your priorities lie, but let me tell you as a previous owner of a used luxury car (2002 Mercedes E320), be prepared for a substantially bigger impact on your budget and FI goals than just that innocent 250 a month. You should also consider the hidden opportunity costs of repair/maintenance, premium fuel usage and low fuel efficiency, higher insurance premiums, and (when financing used vs. new) higher interest rates on used car loans.

With today's record low interest rates and incentives on new vehicles, you could be driving a brand new car with warranty for that same $250 a month.

That's what I'm doing. I recently purchased a new Honda Civic Hybrid with 10,000 from the Merc and some cash down (so I financed about 15,000). My payment is exactly 261 a month with 0.9% financing--the Merc loan was similar at 264 a month, but at 6.9%!

Insurance on the brand new car was $60 LESS per year than the nine year old Merc.

Gas costs have been cut in half, as I now get 50+ mpg on regular unleaded versus about 25 on premium gas. (especially important given my 70+ mile daily commute)

But the NUMBER ONE thing that swayed my decision was the warranty, and thus decrease in maintenance costs over time. Once you put up your first $350 or so to the mechanic for something stupid like a window regulator (as I did within three months of ownership), you'll understand the downside of an out-of-warranty German luxury car. :blush:

In my new car I will enjoy a 6 yr/100,000 mi warranty, so my expected maintenance and upkeep costs for that time? Hopefully, zip! Whereas I could foresee that Merc costing me $6000+ to maintain for the same timeframe! And I expect the Honda will offer reliability and cheaper repair costs even after warranty. I figure as long as I keep the vehicle for at least ten years, I can obtain enough value to make the purchase worthwhile.

On the other side of the coin, though, I have to say the Merc was my "dream car" also, when I purchased it. And man, it WAS pretty gratifying. For me I loved the car's appearance, thought it was the best looking thing on the market, and it definitely made me feel good to be in that car, I admit it! But to me, I've decided I value other things more than having a stylish/powerful car, and I'd rather have all the additional money it cost going somewhere else. Again, it depends on your priorities. If you really love driving, maybe the personal value you get from a luxury car is greater. To me driving is just getting point A to point B safely and efficiently.

Just some things I considered, maybe they'll help you.

Everyone has something really important to them.
If it is cars, awesome, say go for it as long as you fully understand the finances and what they will mean to your other plans.
Personally, I am making a decision to splurge on an EV. Not because it will save me money, but because I have been dreaming of an EV for years. I want to help dispel some of the myths out there about EVs and support innovative companies that are bringing this technology to market (hopefully they 'stick' this time).

While ER is a great goal, you should allow yourself to live a little on your way there:)

Gas costs have been cut in half, as I now get 50+ mpg on regular unleaded versus about 25 on premium gas. (especially important given my 70+ mile daily commute)
I have never understood why people purchase vehicles that require the use of premium gasoline (I would also say that I don't undertand why companies manufacture such cars in the first place, but apparently there is a market). It would appear to be a case of money going straight down the toilet, without any value received whatsoever.

On the other side of the coin, though, I have to say the Merc was my "dream car" also, when I purchased it. And man, it WAS pretty gratifying. For me I loved the car's appearance, thought it was the best looking thing on the market, and it definitely made me feel good to be in that car, I admit it!
The only problem is that such emotional gratification tends to be quite temporary. Many studies have shown that consumers quickly adapt to their purchases, take them for granted, and move on to their next search for a new toy ('gazingus pin'). See generally Danziger, Why People Buy Things They Don't Need: Understanding and Predicting Consumer Behaviour.

Yeah, definitely. The more focused I became on saving and FI, the more I grew to hate the "premium gas tax", as well as all the other "luxury taxes" as I referred to them--insurance premium tax, repair tax, etc. I'm not enough of a car guy to authoritatively deny that using premium gas over regular doesn't have some kind of benefit--maybe it makes the engine "smoother", or whatever. But you are right, from my perspective as a consumer, that extra money was literally going nowhere, getting sucked out of my bottom line but not appearing to benefit me (thus why I called them taxes :D). After paying such a hefty premium on the vehicle itself, I was sort of blind-sided by all the nickle-and-diming afterward. Should've known better, I guess, but now at least I get to warn others--that luxury car is way more expensive than just its price tag and monthly payment!

If you want a luxury car, then Infiniti or Lexus or Acura is the way to go, their maintenance costs are MUCH LOWER than any Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche out there..........:)

If you want a luxury car, then Infiniti or Lexus or Acura is the way to go, their maintenance costs are MUCH LOWER than any Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche out there..........:)
Wow...I didn't realize I have a luxury car....

As I understand it, "premium" gasoline is only required for engines with high compression ratios. The raison d'être of such engines is to offer (the possibility of) increased speed.

However, considering that speed limits effectively preclude any use of that potential, I don't see the point. :confused:

As I understand it, "premium" gasoline is only required for engines with high compression ratios. The raison d'être of such engines is to offer (the possibility of) increased speed.

However, considering that speed limits effectively preclude any use of that potential, I don't see the point. :confused:

I am a car guy first off. Currently own two BMWs, a Porsche 993 and a '67 Lotus Elan. And my experience with cars is either you get it or you don't. If you don't get it, God bless you, you'll save a lot of money. If you do get it, you'll have lots of fun everytime you get behind the wheel of your car.

Neither approach is better than the other except to the individual.

I am a car guy first off. Currently own two BMWs, a Porsche 993 and a '67 Lotus Elan.

If you really love cars, don't you feel like you are "cheating" on the car you love with all your other cars? :LOL: I guess I am one of those that just doesn't get it. I love my Venza and would never dream of owning another car at the same time. :cool:

If you really love cars, don't you feel like you are "cheating" on the car you love with all your other cars? :LOL: I guess I am one of those that just doesn't get it. I love my Venza and would never dream of owning another car at the same time. :cool:

That’s an easy one… I learned long ago (and by example and not personal experience I hasten to add) that it’s far cheaper to cheat on any one of my cars than it is on my wife!:whistle:

We car guys are polygamists, W2R. We have enough love to go 'round. Our mission is to have lots of cars, so that we can go to the never-ending celestial car show when we die.

That’s an easy one… I learned long ago (and by example and not personal experience I hasten to add) that it’s far cheaper to cheat on any one of my cars than it is on my wife!:whistle:
We car guys are polygamists, W2R. We have enough love to go 'round. Our mission is to have lots of cars, so that we can go to the never-ending celestial car show when we die.
:2funny: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thanks, you two, I am laughing so hard! :LOL:

my experience with cars is either you get it or you don't.... If you do get it, you'll have lots of fun everytime you get behind the wheel of your car.
I don't share your interest in cars, but do understand it. It can be fun to own things like that.

What I don't understand is the desire for high compression engines, which offer no discernable advantage unless one is involved in track racing or other venues that permit the higher performance to be utilized. Due to legal restrictions, it is impossible for the owner of a fast car to have lots of fun every time they get behind the wheel.

What I don't understand is the desire for high compression engines, which offer no discernable advantage unless one is involved in track racing or other venues that permit the higher performance to be utilized. Due to legal restrictions, it is impossible for the owner of a fast car to have lots of fun every time they get behind the wheel.

I could try to explain, but it falls into the category of "don't get it". Similar to a discussion of high end "complicated" watches (say a Patek Philippe) vs. a Timex... either you appreciate the beauty of it or you don't.

I will tell you from past ownership experience that there is nothing in this world like the sound of a Ferrari engine at full tilt... but there is also nothing like the sound of your whince when you get a service bill for engine work!

I will tell you from past ownership experience that there is nothing in this world like the sound of a Ferrari engine at full tilt

For your listening pleasure. If I could have any car in the world, this would be it.

YouTube - Ferrari 250 GTO

For your listening pleasure. If I could have any car in the world, this would be it.

YouTube - Ferrari 250 GTO

If you're goin dream, dream BIG and a 250 GTO is about as big as you can!

Just to be different, I'd rather have a 250LM and a 275 GTB NART Spyder (which together probably cost about what a '60's GTO goes for)...

Lars, since you appreciate engine noise here is another video clip you might enjoy: YouTube - Hurricane and Bf-109E.avi It features the sounds of a couple of (inverted) V12s: a 1,300 hp RR Merlin 224 and a 1,100 hp DB601A.

Just to be different, I'd rather have a 250LM and a 275 GTB NART Spyder (which together probably cost about what a '60's GTO goes for)...

Both of them are also beautiful cars.

Back
Top Bottom