Bad decision?

Errr... This consideration is tailored to you because of your age. I'm not too much older than you and I'm not going to point fingers at preference. I'm not a car guy but I have plenty of seemingly frivolous expenses that far exceed $250 a month.

One part of me want to say "You're only young once. Go for it.". The more practical side of me and the habits that got me to FIRE have to point out that if you pay $250 a month for 3 years, you get $9000. If you compound at just 4% for the 22 years after you save the $9000, you'll have $21329. If you keep earning that same net 4%, you'll have an extra cash flow of $853 a year. And you'll still be quite a few years younger than the average retiring person. Everyone can jumble up the numbers as they please.

I suppose the real questions are what do you want, when do you want it, and what are you willing to give up for it.
The problem with your reasoning re the future value of current expenditures is that you would only spend the absolute minimum all your life. Think of how early you could retire! Your last sentence is very true but of limited use.

BMW? Approved.

May mention that my first was an '83 533i, then have had as runners an '89 325i, a '91 318i, a '93 525iT, and now my new-to-me car, a 2000 528iT. Every one has been a different driving experience, replaced engines on two of them, and the 528iT purchased for $4250 will have about $6250 in it by the time it gets rear suspension work done by me, paint and body work done by a very reasonable independent, oil leaks cured, new shoes... It won't be a new car, but it will be a super cruiser. I could have spent 2-4 times as much, but this fits my desires really well and isn't a normal boring car that just runs and drives and gives 30mpg. BMW - more smiles per gallon.

For driving experience, the older the BMW, the greater the connection - my latest cars have been pandering to creature comforts.

When I was a kid, my dream car was a little British sports car, a Triumph or Lotus or MG like my sister's BFs drove, except when they were under them fixing oil leaks, which was "every second weekend".

Then I forgot about it until two things happened: first, my Dad died (I was 39), secondly, I drove past the Mazda showroom and saw a limited edition MX5 (Miata).

Our kids were 11 and 9. Could we make it work? We found a way. I would drive them to school on my way to work in the minivan, then DW would drive in later in the Miata, swap the cars over at my office car park, drive them home, and I would get a big smile on the drive home.

That was 10 years ago last month. Kids are at college and we now live close enough that I can bike or bus to work. But the Miata is still what I drive every weekend. I can't tell you how glad I am that I didn't wait until I was too old to enjoy it. (I'm still not, but this way I've had 10 more years!)

That said, I didn't get that car until I could buy it for cash and not touch the emergency fund. And a Miata is very, very cheap to run. If I were the OP I'd be asking myself what I'll be doing with my "dream car" in 7 or 8 years when the Beemer starts to get old and you get hit with the cost of replacement parts. I intend to keep the Miata more or less until the wheels fall off, because if necessary I can afford to turn it into a 6-weekends-a-year runabout and get another car.

The problem with your reasoning re the future value of current expenditures is that you would only spend the absolute minimum all your life. Think of how early you could retire! Your last sentence is very true but of limited use.

This is true if you land it on a dime. If you only spend 30K every year regardless of salary until you have banked $1MM and your portfolio nets 3% consistently and all other cash flows stop right away at that point, you are aboslutely correct.

But if you overshoot the goal, and / or have other income to supplement the base so that incoming streams eventually add up to more than you need to be happy then you are spending much more than some arbitrary "absolute minimum".

My apologies to you for the last statement. I didn't know generalizations that are "very true but of limited use" weren't welcome. I'm new here and will try to learn quick. :(

LOOK>>>>> at your age all you want to make sure is that you are in a saving habit... I would say that is putting about between 10% to 20% of your salary.... any more and you are taking away current pleasure for something that might never happen...

You need balance in spending... when I was 30, I bought a Firebird Formula 350... I KNEW that it would require extra money to fix... (and it did)... but it was FUUNNNN... it was a second car for me... so even more expense... but I am happy to have done it... and have enough money now toward my retirement goal...

So don't only keep your eye on the FIRE goal... my wife's first husband died when he was 41... a lady that worked for me died when she was 44... both got cancer and died within 6 months... both were considered very healthy before they got the news... keep the balance even and you can enjoy life NOW and also enjoy life in the future...

No. Buy a car you can pay cash for and retire at 45 instead of 59. Then as a 45 year old *XEER (extra early early retire), you'll be able to pay cash for your even newer BMW then. Don't take a loan out to pay for something that depreciates!

*- I claim XEER (extra early early retire) as my own, being one myself.

LOOK>>>>> at your age all you want to make sure is that you are in a saving habit... I would say that is putting about between 10% to 20% of your salary.... any more and you are taking away current pleasure for something that might never happen...

You need balance in spending... when I was 30, I bought a Firebird Formula 350... I KNEW that it would require extra money to fix... (and it did)... but it was FUUNNNN... it was a second car for me... so even more expense... but I am happy to have done it... and have enough money now toward my retirement goal...

So don't only keep your eye on the FIRE goal... my wife's first husband died when he was 41... a lady that worked for me died when she was 44... both got cancer and died within 6 months... both were considered very healthy before they got the news... keep the balance even and you can enjoy life NOW and also enjoy life in the future...
+1

OK, where does this "spend it now, have fun" mantra end? Where do YOU draw the line? After all, this is an Early Retirement forum.

If cost is more than 10% of monthly take home? 5%? 20%?

Or when monthly investment return is at least 1X the cost? 2X the cost?

Attachments

• Graveyard_web.jpg
    Graveyard_web.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 7
OK, where does this "spend it now, have fun" mantra end? Where do YOU draw the line? After all, this is an Early Retirement forum.

That is a good question... I would say it ends IF the purchase make you stay up at night... it also IMO depends on how long you are going to 'enjoy' it... I enjoyed my car purchase for over 10 years... (and guess what, it also helped keep my other car newer so I kept it 15)....

When looking at buying a car that is a splurge and one that is practical... you only have to look at the delta... so a decent Honda or Toyota costing $15K instead of a $25K BMW is only a $10K decision... (well, more if you factor in repairs... but heh....)...

I think a number of posters are advocating balance. ie Not always one way or the other. In my opinion a balanced approach has a higher probablity of maximizing happiness over you lifetime.

I cut a picture of a magazine of the car I wanted and put it on the fridge as a goal I wanted to achieve...years later I bought it. Was much cheaper buying a 10 year old car.

Reminds me of those old Ford jokes....

Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Road Dead

Seriously though, DH has a '94 Ford Ranger. That thing just keeps on keepin' on.

'Ol jerky boy domestic car guy is casting aspersions on BMW
Bring
Mechanic
With or
Bring My Wallet.

As if it costs more to maintain those ticking emergency money bucket bombs. I'm trying to get rid of a vibration I can feel on one of ours - tire and wheel guy says they say BMW people suffer from glass azz and feel everything, so what's good enough for other cars just isn't for the Bimmer boys & girls. It's that special German suspension. or our delicate sensibilities.

Oh......thanks y'all! I reckon I'm sloooooow today. :crazy:

Heh...just today only....

:LOL:

to the OP...if you buy it, post a pic. :greetings10:

Oh......thanks y'all! I reckon I'm sloooooow today. :crazy:

Heh...just today only....

:LOL:

to the OP...if you buy it, post a pic. :greetings10:

Hey, it's summertime, and the living is easy. Life itself is slow, at least down here it is.

Well.... a BMW... then NOOOO....

Do you know what the difference between a BMW and a cactus:confused:?

The cactus has the pricks on the outside :ROFLMAO:

OK.. more BMW jokes:confused:

Every cop friend I ever had said something to the effect of "not every a-hole drives a BMW, but every BMW driver is an a-hole". :D

Bring Me Women!

Q - How many BMW car salesmen does it take to change a light bulb?

A - I'm going to work this out on my calculator, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Whether you should buy the car or not is basically up to you .I do think you should cut yourself some slack on the savings for retirement and not having fun issue . You are twenty five . This is when you should be having fun . As long as you are also saving something that's great but life is short enjoy it .

My favorite car ever was my first....a 1966 Buick Skylark - white with blue interior. Many adventures in that machine. Loved it. BTW, I wish they'd bring back wing windows. Cruising along at about about 60 miles per with those windows pivoted back [-]blew all the bong smoke out[/-] made the ride so comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom