Join Early Retirement Today

Bad decision?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Bad decision?

I'm getting side tracked. I have wanted to own a certain type of car for years now and I am now at the point in which between my trade in value and low interest loan, I can get it for about $250 per month. I have dreamed of owning one of these for years (did I mention that). It is used but in great condition (30k miles).

Obvious problem, that is $250/month not going toward FIRE. How do you balance the want in life with FIRE? Right now I'm having a hard time saying "no" to myself, so maybe I'm looking for a reality check here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafLT View Post
I'm getting side tracked. I have wanted to own a certain type of car for years now and I am now at the point in which between my trade in value and low interest loan, I can get it for about $250 per month. I have dreamed of owning one of these for years (did I mention that). It is used but in great condition (30k miles).

Obvious problem, that is $250/month not going toward FIRE. How do you balance the want in life with FIRE? Right now I'm having a hard time saying "no" to myself, so maybe I'm looking for a reality check here.
So is this car a military secret? If it is a Buick, I'd say pass. A lot of other cars, buy it!

Ha

Old 06-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Go ahead and get it.

If you're going to work another 5 to 7 years to get that pension as discussed on your other thread, go ahead and have fun while you're doing it. Your pension will more than make up for the $250/mo not put into savings.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

A one-year loan of $250 a month would not bother me at all.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't realize you are only 25. Most definitely get the car.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

$250 a month? The rent on my first apartment was $240 a month. If you can't buy the car for cash money I'd say "denied". I'm sure the car is way cool and would make you feel special for a while and impress people who probably don't really give a hoot about you. Reality is this kind of spending may derail plans for early retirement and may be needed later to send future kids through college. Ask Suze Orman if you wish. Don't think you'd get a different answer.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ask yourself how many more years you're willing to work to align your current values with your FIRE budget...

And then try to decide which side of the frugality/deprivation line you're on now.

I'm at the point in my life where I didn't welcome the additional responsibility of caring for a "dream car". I felt like that all the way until 2008, when I ran across our 2006 Prius...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Get the car.

Then use your guilt to be sure you start saving for retirement.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Good grief...at 25 I didn't know sheep shizzz from wild honey.

Here you are planning for retirement.

If you've got a decent job, no credit card balances with high interest rates, and at least six months of living expenses....buy the car.

You can always sell it if you change your mind on down the ummmm...road.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Good grief...at 25 I didn't know sheep shizzz from wild honey.

Here you are planning for retirement.

If you've got a decent job, no credit card balances with high interest rates, and at least six months of living expenses....buy the car.

You can always sell it if you change your mind on down the ummmm...road.
+1
Old 06-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

He's not telling us that insurance would be $3500 a year.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
Administrator

If you're only 25, you've got nearly your whole life ahead of you in which to get the car of your dreams.

Delayed gratification is so hard! Believe me, I know. Decisions, decisions.

I will make no recommendation other than to think hard about all the associated costs (insurance, repairs, etc), to figure out how much it is really costing you with all those added in, and to consider what other uses if any you might have for that money. Make the wise decision (whichever that turns out to be), not the impulsive decision.

A reading assignment to mull over: The Ant and the Grasshopper

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
A reading assignment to mull over: The Ant and the Grasshopper
As well as: When your doctor says you're FI
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If you're only 25, you've got nearly your whole life ahead of you in which to get the car of your dreams.
And...

Balance!

-ERD50
Old 06-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

if you can bear the associated costs of the car (loan, insurance maintenance, gas, etc) AND you are still able to fully fund your FIRE and keep your bills paid, then I vote 'yes'--the money should come out of your discretionary spending. Otherwise, D-E-N-I-E-D.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks everyone for your insight! It is a 2007 BMW 3 series. I am going to do some serious number crunching and reality checking over the next few days. I'm not always good with delayed satisfaction so maybe some raw facts will make this decision a little easier. I'm going to check the true cost of maintenance and everything else. Right now my vehicle is in the shop every few months for a couple hundred dollars so I am likely to get another vehicle either way... just trying to decide what route to go.

Thanks again!
Old 06-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your insight! It is a 2007 BMW 3 series. I am going to do some serious number crunching and reality checking over the next few days. I'm not always good with delayed satisfaction so maybe some raw facts will make this decision a little easier. I'm going to check the true cost of maintenance and everything else. Right now my vehicle is in the shop every few months for a couple hundred dollars so I am likely to get another vehicle either way... just trying to decide what route to go.

Thanks again!
Well.... a BMW... then NOOOO....

Do you know what the difference between a BMW and a cactus?

The cactus has the pricks on the outside

OK.. more BMW jokes
Old 06-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #18

He's way ahead of the game even thinking about retirement at 25. When I was 25 I bought an airplane, with only the foggiest notion of what it would cost to maintain and insure. As a result there were a few times I ate one hot dog for dinner instead of two so the package would last the rest of the week. Retirement was so far over the horizon I didn't even think about it. Admittedly the financial/retirement world is a different place now.

But still... if I was 25 I'd do it again. I had a ball with it!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

...and you think you will be staying away from the shop by buying a used Beemer

I used to have a 65 mile commute (each way), and almost every day I would see either a Beemer or a Merc on the side of the road, broken down. Only Toyotas or Hondas I ever saw like that would have been 20 odd years old. So, I will probably never own a Beemer. I went to test drive a Merc E350 the other day, but wasn't happy with it either (replacing a Lexus in by November). With all the problems Lexus and Toyota have been having, I might just end up with a bicycle...

R
Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Don't auto insurance rates drop for young men when they turn 26 and get married?