Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Balance between ER and living for today
Old 06-07-2005, 09:34 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Better yet, become your own "boss" so you don't have to worry about someone else "allowing" you to do something.

Don't go through life begging a "boss" to let you do what you want to do.
I agree with this, but let's face it. The vast majority of people are not cut out
to be entreprenuers.

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline

In the meantime, you will NOT find me with and excess of vacation time in my account. Up until 40 or so my adult life involved working my way through college and grad school, or studying my way up the corporate ladder. No more. I've decided that if I die early it won't be without doing SOME of the things I want. That attitude has taken me to Greece, Ireland, Italy (2x), Vienna, Mexico City, Toronto, Utah (3x for backpacking), New York for the Christo installation, and last but not least, up Kilimanjaro and on Safari after that.
Great attitude! I used to struggle a lot with the balance between ER and living for today, although my spouse (who is much less of a worrier) was always there to push us to take advantage of opportunities for fun. I think without him I would have settled into a much more dangerous rut.

In any case, we solved any lingering guilt issues this year by picking a reasonable date for ER, figuring out what we needed to save each month to get there, arranging to have it direct deposited into our investment accounts automatically each month, and then not worrying about the rest. Whatever is in the checking account is theoretically spendable, and our decision-making process is much simpler now that retirement savings are taken care of off the top of each paycheck. Scrambling to retire "as soon as possible" or save "as much as possible" might work for some, but it would probably leave us a burned out mess, cause the spouse to revolt against ER entirely, and would force us to miss out on some wonderful times - like the month in Europe we just got back from. So far the plan is working great and is very liberating.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I agree with this, but let's face it.* The vast majority of people are not cut out to be entreprenuers.
The problem is most people don't even try. I've seen complete morons set up a business and succeed because they do the one and only thing they are good at doing.

Most people are so afraid of starting their own business that they are willing to go through life taking orders from their "boss."

I'm the opposite. I'm so afraid of having a "boss" that I'm self-employed. I even get nauseous when I hear other people saying they couldn't do something because their "boss" wouldn't let them.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Our firm will only let employees accrue 160 hours of vacation time. They will pay out sick time at the end of the year.
It is always a problem to come back from vacation and face the "in box." I read an article that had a good thought about this problem. Face your work like it is an ocean - ride the waves. The work flow will never go away, so just keep riding the wave! Take the vacation time.
We just met this couple at an event we attended. They have been retired 29 years. They traveled, spent time with their grandchildren, enjoyed life. My husband and I hope to have the same in our retirement years.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
How about the rest of you - do you feel like you are balancing living today with plans for ER ?*
Well, sometimes I feel that I'm focusing too much on saving for ER. *I remember thinking my elders were so "uncool" with being "too tight", but now I find myself flinching when girlfriends tell me of $60-haircuts or when I'm with them eating out and they order a full-course dinner and we're splitting the bill.

I also have many friends who vacation away and travel a lot. *It seems so exciting and glamorous to see far-off places, and I tell myself someday that I will, but I have no burning desire right now, which is lucky for the savings accounts.* I'm constrained because of saving most of my vacation days for visits to my mom, and I must've been influenced a lot by growing up in a family that rarely went away on vacations.* Maybe I'll travel someday, maybe not.

I do take much pleasure in reading, watching borrowed DVDs on our projector (thanks, th!), occasionally playing the half-dozen chords that I know on the guitar, biking and walking around the neighborhood, and I used to rollerblade before I had a yard. * I've also been turning from a reluctant gardener to one who enjoys it.* I have to admit that I am a home-body.

My luxuries:* We buy mostly organic produce, which is more expensive. *I have been taking art classes, which are also expensive because of materials and equipment.

Well, I guess I am not too off-balanced after all, although I still look at my accounts daily, kinda like Silas Marner*
Old 06-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress
...now I find myself flinching when girlfriends tell me of $60-haircuts or when I'm with them eating out and they order a full-course dinner and we're splitting the bill.... Maybe I'll travel someday, maybe not.

I do take much pleasure in reading, watching borrowed DVDs on our projector (thanks, th!), occasionally playing the half-dozen chords that I know on the guitar, biking and walking around the neighborhood, and I used to rollerblade before I had a yard. * I've also been turning from a reluctant gardener to one who enjoys it.* I have to admit that I am a home-body...
I whole-heartedly agree with what you said Flipstress.* It's difficult sometimes when for DW/I feel so different from our peers regarding the paths we choose for our dollars.* I think it takes some reflection and celebration of the things you truly enjoy, even if they seem so different from everyone else.

Finding a balance between today and tomorrow is also incredibly difficult for me.* I keep trying though.* Looking forward to all of the options that FI allows*
Old 06-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie
I think it takes some reflection and celebration of the things you truly enjoy, even if they seem so different from everyone else.
Well-put, bow-tie.* I sometimes used to think that something was wrong with me--why am I not curious enough or adventurous enough to travel?* Duh, everyone just likes different things or some like similar things but at different times.

On the other hand, I enjoy it when my friends tell me of their visits and show me their pictures.* Some of them travel cheaply, and they save on other things to be able to do so.* My vicarious travel through them is even cheaper for me and is fine for now.

Aye, living for today and living for tomorrow are hard to balance.* Who was it that said something like "how you live the day-to-day is how you live your life" or "how you spend your days is how you spend your life"?* Hmmm--I have to look it up.* Living for today does not necessarily mean having/doing big things all the time but once in a while, as C-T and others have advised, having or doing one big thing that really matters to one's self makes life delicious.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Flipstress,

Like you, I tend to be the homebody. I typically hate going out on weeknights after I get home. I would rather put on some walking/running shoes and head out the door for a jog. After exercise and shower, I'd prefer to make something healthy for dinner... like stir-fry, or mabye BBQed chicken. I also like to take the acoustic guitar out into the backyard and play some old favorites or make something up.

Ah...the simple life. That's my ideal.

Unfortunately, I feel mired in committments, and all too often have to make something quick, and head out the door for a 7:00 meeting, or to transport a child somewhere.

I'm not too interested in being a world traveler. There is so much of the US that I've never seen. I like traveling okay, but I get sick of living in hotel rooms and restaraunt food.

There's no place like home....

Mike
Old 06-07-2005, 05:27 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I love to travel and see distant places, but I try to balance it with a simple life at home. Also, the big trips I've taken lately (leaving for Germany next week!) have been to visit friends working abroad. I'm lucky in that aspect. I pay the airfare and they pick up the tab when I'm there.

I always fret over using my vacation days, but we can carry over 30 into the new year, and between earned time and holidays, I have about 7 weeks a year, so I can't complain.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

* *A co-worker of mine had the chance to retire two years before he did - guess he enjoyed the job.* Six weeks after retiring, he died in his sleep of a massive heart attack.
* *Then again, there are no guarantees for those who don't work outside the home either.* Couple of weeks ago, co-worker came home and found his wife (age 58) dead -- heart attack in that case, too.* Ironicaly, doc had given her a clean bill of health just a few weeks before....
* *DH and I make sure we take all of our vacation, too. (we both work for a company that has a use it or lose it policy, too) We've done a fair bit of traveling, so from that standpoint, if something happened tomorrow, I wouldn't have that regret....
Old 06-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT
* *A co-worker of mine had the chance to retire two years before he did - guess he enjoyed the job.* Six weeks after retiring, he died in his sleep of a massive heart attack.
* *Then again, there are no guarantees for those who don't work outside the home either.* Couple of weeks ago, co-worker came home and found his wife (age 58) dead -- heart attack in that case, too.* Ironicaly, doc had given her a clean bill of health just a few weeks before....
* *DH and I make sure we take all of our vacation, too. (we both work for a company that has a use it or lose it policy, too) We've done a fair bit of traveling, so from that standpoint, if something happened tomorrow, I wouldn't have that regret....
I have posted in the past extensively on this topic (friends, relatives, and
associates long gone way short of my ripe old age). I can only smile
when people speak of how they will spend their retirement years,
"some day". It's pretty sad actually. "Some day" will never come for
a lot of them.

JG
Old 06-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I have posted in the past extensively on this topic (friends, relatives, and
associates long gone way short of my ripe old age).* I can only smile
when people speak of how they will spend their retirement years,
"some day".* It's pretty sad actually.* "Some day" will never come for
a lot of them.JG
Yeah, I guess my "some day" solely represents the financial means to decide what I want to do everyday after I wake up.* Every day I get closer.* That being said, if I find out tomorrow that I have 6 weeks to live, I can't say there is anything that is knawing at me that I haven't done.* I have a beautiful DW, great family (well, for the most part) that I make sure I spend time with, a roof over my head, food in the cupboard, my Chevelle, and I've seen some pretty bitchin' sunsets.* No regrets.* Simple pleasures I guess...
Old 06-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #33

Bow Tie
What type of Chevelle do you have?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Bow Tie
What type of Chevelle do you have?
Ha! I was hoping you would ask that. Its a '72 Malibu... don't let the '350' on the fender fool ya, its a .030 over 454. hee hee

I wanted to ask you if the 73ss454 was for your ride...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #35

Cool!
Yea mine is a 73 454 4 spd Chevelle.SS
Take a look on the cover of Hemmings Muscle Machines from Sept.04
Let me know what you think.
Did you even know they made an SS 454 in 73?
Regards,
JOE
Old 06-08-2005, 01:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Cool!
Yea mine is a 73 454 4 spd Chevelle.SS
Take a look on the cover of Hemmings Muscle Machines from Sept.04
Let me know what you think.
Did you even know they made an SS 454 in 73?
Regards,
JOE
C'mon... I'd have my 'Velle taken away if I didn't know that.
So it's a BBC 4-speed, huh?* That kicks ass...
Can I find the Hemmings pic on the web?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #37

Sorry Helen,

I've successfully hi-jacked your post...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #38

Go into Hemmings.com and fish around a little and you should be able to find it.
JOE
Old 06-08-2005, 10:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie
Sorry Helen,

I've successfully hi-jacked your post...
Not a problem, bow-tie.

I wanted to post to all those who worked with people who have died so young. It's a pretty sad thing and it's terribly unsettling.

I was suprised at how many people some of you know that have died so young.

I'm sorry for your losses.

-helen
Old 06-09-2005, 03:50 AM   #40

After looking at the stats for my job and finding that most people die within 5 years of retirement (around 55), and coming here I got the ER bug real bad. Unfortunately the wife was uh....ok....ya....sure....whatever. This year she was out of work for 2.5 months after brain surgery to remove a tumor. Now that she's back to about 99%, her additude is what are we waiting for, why aren't we retired yet? It's kind of refreshing.

The bad part of it all is we didn't get to take much of a vacation last year and it looks the same this year, darned medical issues. At least the wife and I are now on the same page and savings/motivation are definately at a high point.