Cyberslacking

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
I still get and read on occasion management publications. Today I read an article entitled Fatal Distraction, in the April issue of Small Firm Business. The article discusses productivity loss due to people whiling away their work hours wandering around the Web.

Based on a Salary.com survey of about 10,000 workers, 45% said their number one distraction at work was the Internet.

Even advertisers are targeting idle employees: see www.homesweetcube.com.

Besides the loss of productivity, the article went on to describe other problems from at work Internet use. One example is people sending email that comes from the business but deals with personal issues and opinions that a business would not want attributed to it.

The author noted that some managers spend so much time worrying about security that they have no idea of the amount of time that is wasted on the Internet.

So, get back to work.

In case there are any doubts where i'm posting from, i added a disclaimer below a month or so ago.

Well I am at work right now. Just returned after being gone for a month. Sleepy.

But for me, no work no pay, so it doesn't matter a whit if I goof off.

So any new suggestions that the month should become forever, Martha, or is everything back to normal?

I think this is a huge problem that already is affecting overall productivity. I saw it myself before I FIREd.
Cheers!

40 years ago, we all would've been taking 10 minute smoke breaks every hour.

i spend 90% of my day on the web at work, 1/3 for work, 2/3 not

BUT, i get my work done. i usually browse for a minute or 2, work for a minute or two, browse for 5 minutes, work for a minute

im at work now

I do more than my share of work, and have learned that no good deed goes unpunished...

No matter how much work I do, there's always that next urgent project that just has to get done... :D

Back
Top Bottom