Deming, New Mexico for Retirement

citrine

Full time employment: Posting here.
DH and I are thinking about moving to Deming, NM in the next 12 years. We are planning to take trips to the areas that we are interested in retiring to over the next few years. DH will be 61 in 12 and is planning on taking SS at 62. I will be working until I decide not to ;)
Any advice from ER's who are living in NM....can one retire there with 18K-25K a year?

Personally, I would be hesitant to spend much time in NM, CA or AZ south of I-8/I-10 at this point because of the current boarder issues. I do hope that is resolved in time for me to consider the area again. The budget sounds tight but achievable depending upon the level of comfort you expect/require.

Lived in Silver City NM and have traveled extensively around the area, including Deming. Like some of the others here, I have to ask: why Deming? There isn't much "there, there"- or within a hundred miles of there. Not sure what you are looking for. Silver City has wonderful hiking and biking and a small but vibrant arts community, good food co-op and a small but decent University. Las Cruces has a simlar climate to Deming but much more going on. Bisbee, Sierra Vista and the like in the mountains of Southern Arizona are much more interesting (IMHO) than Deming, but then again so is just about any town I can think of.

You can certainly live very modestly in any of these places on 25K a year in today's dollars - but that assumes you have the cash to buy a manufactured or simple stick built house outright and have your health care figured out.

Hi, I like Las Cruces and Silver City in southern New Mexico both university towns. Myself I live 3 miles from New Mexico, 30 miles from Old Mexico in Arizona. The Sky Islands of SE AZ have some of the most diverse habitats in all of North America. It is a long way to anywhere here.

Yes, a lot can change...but we are planners ;)
We currently live in Central Jersey and retirement here would not work...too expensive, too many people, and too cold. We are looking for a place where we can buy a home with cash and live well with a small budget. Deming would be perfect as it is close to Silver City and Las Cruces but not too expensive...yet!
Kevin...we will look into Bisbee and Sierra Vista...thanks!

I've always considered remote desert towns to be an acquired taste.

You can always use Google Street View to drive down a few streets for a little preview.

Why not somewhere like Ruidoso instead?

I personally find NM to be an acquired taste. One which I have yet to obtain....

I've always considered remote desert towns to be an acquired taste.

You can always use Google Street View to drive down a few streets for a little preview.
Google street view is an amazing tool. Check around a neighborhood before buying to see what it really looks like.

I personally find NM to be an acquired taste. One which I have yet to obtain....

If I were to live in NM, I would pick Taos or one of the areas around it. Might not fit your budget criteria, but a lovely area with lots to do and a very nice climate. Alamosa, CO might also be a reasonable choice on a budget.

But NM is a far cry from Jersey. If you have not spent a lot of time there, I am not sure how to describe it.

If I were to live in NM, I would pick Taos or one of the areas around it. Might not fit your budget criteria, but a lovely area with lots to do and a very nice climate. Alamosa, CO might also be a reasonable choice on a budget.

But NM is a far cry from Jersey. If you have not spent a lot of time there, I am not sure how to describe it.
It is kind of other-worldly (and this from a Texan!)

Watch "The Milagro Beanfield War" - that has the feel down pretty well.

We have travelled extensively in NM. We prefer the northen mountains along HWY US 64. Spectacular scenery, but I suspect the cost of living is not cheap.

A couple of years ago the local talk radio stations were advertising ranchettes in Ruidoso. I couldn't recall having been to Ruidoso and we're always up for a road trip so we spent a couple of days in Ruidoso. We DID NOT contact the people selling ranchettes. In my old age, I can't stand those people, no matter what they are giving away.

Ruidoso appeared to be a very pleasant area in the mountains for cool summers, but far enough south to have mild winters.

The problem with living in a low cost area, as we do, is that you can't move within the USA to lower your cost of living.:)

I like New Mexico but Deming seemed to be a bit too rural for my tastes.

A couple of years ago the local talk radio stations were advertising ranchettes in Ruidoso. I couldn't recall having been to Ruidoso and we're always up for a road trip so we spent a couple of days in Ruidoso. We DID NOT contact the people selling ranchettes. In my old age, I can't stand those people, no matter what they are giving away.

You see a lot of NM, TX, and CO land for sale on Craigslist. Main problem is most are for sale with quitclaim deeds, which essentially says that we don't really own it...

When we were in school in Socorro, NM, we stayed at a friend's parent's house in Deming (So not much experience other than having been there once). My impression was that if you like pecans and can appreciate the subtle beauty of different shades of dirt, you'll love it.

Personally, I would look more at Taos or Ruidoso, but that's just me.

LOL! Subtle shades of dirt...awesome!
Yes, that is why we are starting the research now....we are also looking in the Black Bear, Mars Hill NC area...AZ...NM...I would love to go to Taos, NM....that would be a fun place to live!

Santa Fe has a lot to offer, too. And like Taos, a thriving artists community, lots of things to do. But it has gotten a bit more pricey if you want live in-town.

Back
Top Bottom