Dex (full length photo) down from the mountain top for you

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If I can do it, so can you - not the mountain - ER.

I never thought I would enjoy hiking for 10 hours in freezing weather to 14,198 feet. I've been trying for the mountain for awhile as you know. The final hike to the summit was the toughest - snow and rocks with some frightening fall potential. I thought about turning back at some difficult climbs.

That is me at the summit

++++++
Dr. Seuss:

Oh, the Places You'll Go! (1990)

• You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself
    any direction you choose.
    You're on your own.
    And you know what you know.
    And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.

• You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have the speed.
    You’ll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead.
    Wherever you fly, you’ll be the best of the best.
    Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

• I'm sorry to say so
    But, sadly it's true
    That bang-ups and hang-ups
    Can happen to you.

• On an on you will hike, And I know you’ll hike far
    and face up to your problems whatever they are. You’ll get mixed up of course, as you already know.
    You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go.
    So be sure when you step.
    Step with care and great tact
    And remember that Life’s a great balancing act.
    Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
    And never mix up your right foot with your left.

• Will you succeed?
    Yes you will indeed!
    (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

Attachments

• DSCF1665.JPG
    DSCF1665.JPG
    608.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1659.JPG
    DSCF1659.JPG
    628 KB · Views: 20
Outstanding ! A good view from the top.

What a great feeling it must have been to reach the summit!

Congrats!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Congratulations Dex!!!! Your photos simply take my breath away.:flowers:

Awesome! Congrats Dex! that must have been an awesome feeling and you even thought of us when you got there! sniff sniff...

Wow, great pictures. Looks like the clouds might have been threatening to drop some wet on you, too. Congratulations, I'll bet you slept well that night.

Congratulations, Dex- I dub thee King of the Mountain!

Attachments

• dex king of the mountain.jpg
    dex king of the mountain.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 7
Congratulations Dex!
What will you try to conquer next?

That is a real accomplishment. A few steps then feel sick is what I remember from trying something at that altitude. Is it Mt. Belford?

Thanks all for the congrats.

10 hrs of hiking that I enjoyed for the walking(mostly by myself - but that's how I roll).through beautiful landscape and the challenge of the mountain.

I post this here for all those who need a little encouragement along their trek up the ER mountain (this one is Mt. Yale).

I am really happy I ERd and am doing what I am doing.

I may have made 6 attempts for this mountain. I think I was hampered by being a bit out of shape from sitting around waiting for my collar bone to heal, cold, weather, and snow. But I didn't feel there was anything bad about that.

But here's the thing - I always hated the cold (I think it was from all those NYC winters and not having proper clothing) but I began to enjoy it this time around. It might have been that I saw the cold as just as much a challenge as the mountain. And it was scary at the top (+my fear of heights) - at one point if I fell to my right or left it would have been a very long way down a snow field (I don't have a snow ax, nor do I know how to use one).

So I'm still learning about myself and other things.

Next ... watch this space.

Dex is who I want to be when I grow up.
Kudos to you on both the mental and physical mountain.
I keep learning good things from you, Mr. Dex. Thanks for sharing.

And it was scary at the top (+my fear of heights) - at one point if I fell to my right or left it would have been a very long way down a snow field (I don't have a snow ax, nor do I know how to use one).

I would suggest a climbing pole or an ice axe would be very cheap life insurance.

I recently did a climb of a nearby peak and had a similar fall potential. Fortunately I ran into some other generous mountaineers, one of whom lent me his climbing pole. It really helped my stability crossing a few of the snow-covered ridges.

2Cor521

Congratulations Dex, that is a truly awesome achievement.

Wow...what a stunning view. Congrats on the climb!
bd

Dex, for your next quest, you might consider Wolverton Mountain. I hear it's truly a challenge--especially if you're a stranger there.

Back
Top Bottom