Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Disability/Umbrella policies
Old 11-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by Scout
Do you guys have more suggestions regarding which companies to go with?
You talking about DI? Like I said: MassMutual, Northwestern Mutual or Guardian. There aren't a lot of companies that sell this product and of the oones that are left, these are the best.

Why do I suggest these companies? Simple. They all have very high credit quality, so you can be sure they will still be there in 10, 20, 50, 100 years. They all have been in the DI business for a long time and will very likely stay in the business. They all have a long track record of doing (relatively) well by their policyholders. And they are all mutuals, which means that they are owned by their policyholders and don't have to answer to stockholders.

I spent several years doing nothing but analyzing the credit quality of life insurers. I had insider access to many companies, including some ofthe biggest players in the industry. Based on my experience, there are some I think highly of and others I wouldn't touch with a stick.

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2006, 08:41 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by brewer12345
Heh, I always figured that the nightmare scenario was to rear-end a bus full of personal injury lawyers.
That's bad enough, but I thought the worst case was a bus full of the children of personal injury lawyers.

A lot of policies overlook this in their car insurance's uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Spouse and I are theoretically covered for lifetime healthcare under the military's system, but our kid is not. If we went under an Armada and she lived with lifelong disabilities then I'd like to know that there's the possibility of recovering enough to fund the cost of her care. When she's old enough for USAA to split her off our policy then we'll drop the UM/UIM.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote