Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
If your friend resides in one of the 10-15 states where medical marijuana is legal.... he should try to get a Dr.'s recommendation that makes it legal for his personal use (to treat the illness, of course!).

I suspect some employers might not risk a lawsuit for firing an employee who legally uses a medication recommended by his/her Dr.

I don't know if this would work.... but it's an idea.
Yes, we did think of that, unfortunately it's a no go in his state....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I would talk to a lawyer first. Many rules about when and how a company can do drug testing.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #23

I would definitely agree with those suggesting a consultation with a lawyer before making any rash and irrevocable decisions.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just looked this up. I wonder if you can get positive for second hand smoke. Q:
How effective is hair follicle testing in detecting drug usage?

In comparison to a urinalysis drug test, cocaine, PCP, opiates, and methamphetamine have proven hair analysis far more effective than urine testing in identifying low-level drug use over an extended period of time since these are normally out of the bloodstream in within 3-7 days (see drug detection times). The detection of marijuana is currently less sensitive than the other drugs in identifying low level drug users, but is considered approximately equal to urinalysis in identifying marijuana users. The detection period for hair is limited only by the length of the hair sample and is approximately 90 days for a standard screen.
Back to TopQ:
Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #25

Seems like a big gamble to take, given what was at stake. I don't think I would have made the same choices. Heck, retire at 51 then become a pot head!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Seems like a big gamble to take, given what was at stake. I don't think I would have made the same choices. Heck, retire at 51 then become a pot head!
Might be worse then. If they catch you with more than a handful of pot you'll be fingered as a dealer and all your possessions and accounts will be handed over to the government as evidence You'll likely never get back even if you win the case.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #27

Sounds like a midnight phone call to the boss from the airport informing of an extended emergency trip to see his dying "Aunt Tilly" (the eccentric anthropologist) in New Guinea might be in order. (if he's been with the company 25 years they might give him a pass, just this once)

Then come back with the shaved head & some new tattoos.

(never surrender - never confess)
Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
Might be worse then. If they catch you with more than a handful of pot you'll be fingered as a dealer and all your possessions and accounts will be handed over to the government as evidence You'll likely never get back even if you win the case.
They can't tap your pension. (except for fines & restitution)
Old 01-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
They can't tap your pension. (except for fines & restitution)
Yeah you're right, I guess if you work for the government, are a professional athlete, or retired twenty years ago then you're safe.