for those still wo*king, are you still putting $ in your 401K?

ER_Hopeful

Recycles dryer sheets
Just wondering, with the current bloodbath, for those who are still in the accumulation phase and have been contributing to their 401K. Have you make scale back the amount or even stop your contribution?

I have another 23 yrs until 59 1/2, so I'm still maxing out. Just wondering what others are doing...

Maxin it out of course! I have heard of some friends and family that are considering reducing the contribution. But the reasons are legitimate. In one case a layoff has created a temporary cash flow issue. In another, increased costs and stagnant income has lead to outgoes exceeding income, and a high % contribution to 401k is unnecessarily hampering this individual's lifestyle.

So far I haven't heard of anyone I know actually reducing or eliminating 401k contributions in spite of getting killed in the market. A number have asked my opinion as to whether it makes sense to keep throwing good money after bad, and I have to give them the one minute lecture on why buying equities cheap is better than paying a lot for them like a year ago. And that long term, cheap markets are the BEST thing young people can hope for, ceteris paribus. I don't know if the rationale is persuasive or they trust me because they think I know what I am talking about. But so far it has worked (to the best of my knowledge).

Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) here - military without matching fund program. I got cold feet and stopped contributing for a couple of months, but will catch up this month and next month with contributions in order to max out $15,500 for the year. Will also try to buy early in Jan 2009 in the TSP as well as my ROTH. This is my last full year in the Army. Might as well max out on everything while I can. Not sure if I'll return to work after 2009.

Still contributing, but at a lower level. New employer doesn't match :bat:. Plus, I've increased after tax savings, to diversify my "buckets", and increase the emergency fund.

After changing jobs.... will be putting in most of my paycheck for the rest of the year... then back it down to a reasonable percent starting next year... enough to get the match

But, I have a new family and we are still working on what we should spend.... I am losing :rant: so we will see where it ends up...

I'm still maxing out my 403(b) contribution, and I'll be making my full Roth IRA contribution in January.

Coach

Still contributing and my raise Jan 1 will increase my contribution or my wife's. Plan is to get both 401ks maxed within 5 years.

Maxing it of course, my future plan is to have a balance of 401k and taxable funds so that I can draw from the taxable during the earliest portion of my retirement.

Upped our contributions

We upped the contibutions trying to max both 401k and 457 plans. To me, it does not make any sense to cut contributions when equities are the "cheapest" in years.

Eladio

I am still maxing out my TSP (401K) putting $15,500 plus $5000 for over 50 catch-up (plus 5% match) all into "G Fund" which is guaranteed not to drop in value. The G Fund is only available within the TSP and doesn't yield much, but my contributions are safe until inflation eats away at it.

Frank has discontinued his 401K contributions for the year.

Still putting in as much as we can afford. Will max 401(k) but not enough extra to max IRA, at least not quite yet.

Not meaning to pry - but what was the rationale for this decision?

He has already contributed the $20,500 max, but his 401K allows further contributions to a taxable account. So, his contributions at this time of year are fully taxable.

Given the market and the limitation of funds available in his 401K, he thought he could do better by putting the money in the bank for now. Beyond that, he will have to speak for himself (and I am not sure he is reading the forum much - - I think he has only posted 3 times here up to now).

We had a discussion about investing in mutual funds (as I prefer) or just saving money in the bank (as he prefers), over lunch. It evolved into a discussion of bookies and horseracing. Basically I can't really tell him how to invest, nor can he tell me how to invest, as we are both extremely independent people who don't like being told what to do! :)

Luckily we are not married, nor are we living together, and our finances are not mixed in any way. We both like it this way. Our emotions and commitment are the main bond in our relationship.

Last edited:
Presently contributing 6% to get full match. We're using remaining excess funds to pay off a few small debts, then we'll max out retirement contributions starting some time next year. I have a DB pension (non-COLA) plan at work. All present contributions are going to stock MFs.

DW and I are still contributing the max. If we didn't have a sizable emergency fund, I'd probably ramp down our retirement contributions to get that funded.

Not maxing it out(need to build up e-fund) but putting the same % in as I have been the last couple years. I will max out my ROTH on Jan 2nd.

He has already contributed the $20,500 max, but his 401K allows further contributions to a taxable account. So, his contributions at this time of year are fully taxable.

Ok - sounds legitimate in my book! Thanks.

Maxing out. Why would I want to make the high prices of the past permanent? Going for a better overall price per share.

Maxing it out,
but thinking of putting it on hold in order to build up cash reserves in case I get layed off, which I think may be coming soon.

DCA! Buying while stocks are cheap! Got enough years to go to benefit from an eventual upswing.

Stopped temporarily. I was contributing at the max plus catchup, total of $20,500 last year. I changed jobs, moved to a new state & my wife had to quit her job. The job market's not great here, so she's still not employed but is looking. We sold the old house, paid off all of our debts, and now I'm going to start back contributing tomorrow. I'll try to make up most of what I didn't contribute, but don't think there's time left in the year. I should get close, though. We'll also max our Roth IRA's.

I increased the amount I save, getting close to maxing out.

Now is the time to buy. :)

we max out our pension plan at our business ($46,000 this year i think) plus $24,480 into our taxable stock / mutual fund accounts. hopefully the market will recover soon, it is getting very old crying every time i open the monthly statements!

Back
Top Bottom