for those still wo*king, are you still putting $ in your 401K?

Almost maxed it out this year. Will max it out in 2009 for sure.

My thinking, like others, is that I've already paid so much for some of the stocks I bought earlier, there is no reason not to buy it at bargain prices now.

Of course I am probably 20 years away from retirement (the # of years seem to get longer as we go). The worst that could happen due to my imprudence now is having to work a couple more years beyond our estimated time. I think it's a risk worth taking.

Maxed out my TSP (=401K) in 2008, along with over-50 catchup, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Just arranged to max out my TSP (along with over-50 catchup) in 2009 by early November, when I plan to ER.

Oof!!! Dividing $22,000 (instead of $20,500) by 23 (instead of 26) pay periods sure means my take-home pay is going to take a hit. :dead: It feels a little unsettling to know that my present take-home pay is the most I will ever earn in my life.

On the other hand, given the choice, I know I'd prefer to retire into the face of a recession as planned rather than to continue working indefinitely.

On the other hand, given the choice, I know I'd prefer to retire into the face of a recession as planned rather than to continue working indefinitely.

Kinda like " a bad day of fishing beats a good day at the office" ? :)

I think i will max it out this year, since my Jan 1st check is going out a day early.

Next year, not looking to good.

Contributed to the max in the 401K and company subsidized stock purchase plan.
Will only do this one more year going into retirement in the second quarter of 10.
I need to get the portfolio back up another 15-20% to have a good cushion.

I put in close to $22k myself this year (max pre, some after). Employer matched another $4k.

Just wondering, with the current bloodbath, for those who are still in the accumulation phase and have been contributing to their 401K. Have you make scale back the amount or even stop your contribution?

I have another 23 yrs until 59 1/2, so I'm still maxing out. Just wondering what others are doing...

max pre-tax in a traditional 401k, plus 7% after-tax dollars, plus $10k/yr in I-Bonds.... It feels like I'm just giving away the money to the stock market right now. Ah well.

Back
Top Bottom