Has anyone down-shifted?

As documented in other threads, I plan to be much more active as a volunteer abroad when I FIRE. I am the medical director of a couple of clinics in remote places in Central America. Going back to Guatemala in April, Ecuador in July and planning for a trip to the Altiplano in Bolivia in November.

A major downshift for me as there is no pay and I bear all the costs myself. But there is nothing like impacting the lives of hundreds, if not thousands of lives, during these trips.

I encourage everyone to do the same. Medicine does not need to be your area of expertise. Anyone can help by sending kids' shoes, clothes, vitamins. Even helping dig wells for the younger volunteers or helping build schools. Women are welcome to teach other women about disease prevention and keeping safe from abuse which is prevalent.

Wouldn't this type of activity give anyone a more enduring legacy than just doing mundane office work ? I bet it would.

The question that I am pondering is ER to what? I can doubtlessly fill my time, but towards what end beyond self gratification? Along those lines of thought, I am considering leaving the corporate world to become a HS teacher. This would drop my pay by 2/3rds but avoid the ER cost of benefits. But my motivation is beyond the dollar calculations. I've had a good career but feel that it left little enduring legacy beyond being productive and providing for the family. I have worked with HS youth in a few venues (Big Brother, Leadership Camps) and found it enormously rewarding. I hope I can make a difference for some kids in these very challenging times.

Has anyone else downshifted to a bigger role in the community? Is a structured role more effective then other volunteer work? Lessons learned? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Obgyn, what a generous and ambitious way to serve humanity. May these years be healing for the many patients you will meet, but also deeply rewarding for you. Thank you for serving the world with your talents!

Best wishes........and may you stay very healthy yourself! :D

Thank you for your kind words.
Obgyn, what a generous and ambitious way to serve humanity. May these years be healing for the many patients you will meet, but also deeply rewarding for you. Thank you for serving the world with your talents!

Best wishes........and may you stay very healthy yourself! :D

LitGal I loved your post! I have two educators in my immediate family and my aunt just retired from her long-held teaching position in the Dept of Juvenile Justice for our state. Teaching in prisons was something she believed in, by I could not imagine how she was able to do it for so long. I tell her all the time that she EARNed her state retirement package!

Thank you for your dedication to teaching. My sister teaches English at the college level and would agree with many of your sentiments.

Wow, Sarah! The Dept. of Juvenile Justice? I've known a couple people who have done that: they truly have a special gift and calling. They beat the odds on tenacity, stamina, compassion, and sheer guts.

Our society certainly needs them; I hope the prison system can find enough teachers to replace your aunt. I hope they also gave her a great retirement party. (Maybe her students were included in that too?)

Back
Top Bottom