Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,871
How Do You Deal with Lazy/Underperforming People?

At my company they gave us them an early retirement package.
__________________

__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
This megacorp is surprising relaxed about having people watch YouTube & Hulu on work computers. Besides, I think video watching is just a symptom. This guy was supposedly hired to lead a support organization that never materialized, so I am to believe that he has some drive and leadership ability, but so far what he's shown me is that he's perfectly happy doing nothing for months on end but complain that he's not getting the quality work for which he's capable.

.
Clearly he is perfect candidate for early retirement. Since I resemble this remark

Matrix management is devil spawn tough. Without the power to discipline, I think your choices are limited to talking to his actual boss about his non-cooperation, or simply accepting that you'll get nothing useful out of him. Neither option is particularly appealing, since his boss my strongly disagree with your assessment.
__________________

__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 331
When I worked for the State and moved up the food chain, most of the people I supervised did more than expected, that was good.

Of course there were a couple that didn't, but being of a philosophical nature myself, I figured the world worked on a bell curve. Most will do an average job, some will be extraordinary, and some will sit and drink cawfee.

Sooooo, seeing this, I figured to work smart, not hard. I concentrated my efforts where they paid off, working with the producers, and ignored those that were problems. I realized I'm not a social worker, can't dwell on why someone has problems with work, so it wasn't worth the effort.

Not everyone was happy with this approach, but I was very content in that my workgroup always turned out a good product, and that was what my ultimate goal was.

Ignore them, good for your mental health.
jug
__________________
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BunsGettingFirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,502
Jug, I think that's a great approach. However, I got dragged into the project by this guy because his immediate boss pretended that she didn't take over the project even after I held a meeting to introduce her, this support guy, the other business people, and the IT folks. Several months later, when I asked her what the progress is, she said that I didn't hand the project to her. It's like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.

I followed Meadbh's approach and crafted what I supposed to be a fairly professional email detailing the path forward on this project and still volunteering to keep an eye on the project, the big boss writes back that I have the wrong attitude to be on this team. Perhaps I should spend more time watching Hulu and pretend to be working. I think this big boss is a smart guy but he drives the real producers like mules while ignoring the rest of the people who don't produce much. Perhaps he's taking Jug's approach. LOL.
__________________
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Matrix management is...
Hunh, I thought that was a movie reference!

I guess it was created by the same guys who foisted brought "Total Quality Leadership" to the Navy.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I followed Meadbh's approach and crafted what I supposed to be a fairly professional email detailing the path forward on this project and still volunteering to keep an eye on the project, the big boss writes back that I have the wrong attitude to be on this team. Perhaps I should spend more time watching Hulu and pretend to be working. I think this big boss is a smart guy but he drives the real producers like mules while ignoring the rest of the people who don't produce much. Perhaps he's taking Jug's approach. LOL.
Now you are seeing the one true path. They don't teach that in B school...
__________________
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Jug, I think that's a great approach. However, I got dragged into the project by this guy because his immediate boss pretended that she didn't take over the project even after I held a meeting to introduce her, this support guy, the other business people, and the IT folks. Several months later, when I asked her what the progress is, she said that I didn't hand the project to her. It's like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.

I followed Meadbh's approach and crafted what I supposed to be a fairly professional email detailing the path forward on this project and still volunteering to keep an eye on the project, the big boss writes back that I have the wrong attitude to be on this team. Perhaps I should spend more time watching Hulu and pretend to be working. I think this big boss is a smart guy but he drives the real producers like mules while ignoring the rest of the people who don't produce much. Perhaps he's taking Jug's approach. LOL.
Buns, if ya wanna unnerstan WTFreak is going on, buy WorkAbuse by Hare and Wyatt. I know the authors, what they discuss about the workplace is golden.

If you want to read some great essays on work, where confusion and abuse abound, go to their website.

Work and Family Counseling -- Index

Most of the stuff is geared at abuse, but it's the concepts of denial, lies and power games that is relevant. I would say if anyone hits the nail on the head as to why many of us FIRED, these folks pinpoint it. The workplace is not rational, same as politics or any other power structure where contempt if thrust downward and power deferred upward.

jug
__________________
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
You fire me.
I agree with Ed, and so did my former employer...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I don't have any direct reports, but I get to assign work to a pool of engineers and support people. The engineers have been spectacular. The support people and other business function people not such much.
Do you do the following?
1. Advise the mgrs (of the people) of the project
2. Advise the mgrs of the timeline for completion
3. Give regular updated to the mgrs
4. Give final reports on performance of emp. to mgr
5. Let the employees know what you are telling the managers
6. Give feedback to mgrs on emp. performance at review time
7. let the emp know of item 6

Getting the mgrs involved will help
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.
citrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
Buns, if ya wanna unnerstan WTFreak is going on, buy WorkAbuse by Hare and Wyatt. I know the authors, what they discuss about the workplace is golden.

If you want to read some great essays on work, where confusion and abuse abound, go to their website.

Work and Family Counseling -- Index

Most of the stuff is geared at abuse, but it's the concepts of denial, lies and power games that is relevant. I would say if anyone hits the nail on the head as to why many of us FIRED, these folks pinpoint it. The workplace is not rational, same as politics or any other power structure where contempt if thrust downward and power deferred upward.

jug
Thanks jug.....it all makes a lot of sense to me now.....I have never fit into the mold of any company.....I am my own person and I was always ostracized for not fitting in......
__________________
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
....

Work and Family Counseling -- Index

Most of the stuff is geared at abuse, but it's the concepts of denial, lies and power games that is relevant. I would say if anyone hits the nail on the head as to why many of us FIRED, these folks pinpoint it. The workplace is not rational, same as politics or any other power structure where contempt if thrust downward and power deferred upward.

jug
Thanks, Jug, even though I'm retired, I bookmarked it for later. One of their examples is a place I actually worked where I knew HR very well. During the time I worked there HR was completely purged & replaced by new management, etc. My sense was that employees were dealing with shifting rules, reorganizations, downsizings and so on. Survival of the most adaptable. I have no idea what the current environment is like.

I didn't FIRE because of that kind of atmosphere but I did consciously gravitate toward another kind of work culture, a very small business.
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Performance
Old 06-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Performance

We create measurable performance goals and then measure them against those goals and if they do not meet them then they are let go
__________________
kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BunsGettingFirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Do you do the following?
1. Advise the mgrs (of the people) of the project
2. Advise the mgrs of the timeline for completion
3. Give regular updated to the mgrs
4. Give final reports on performance of emp. to mgr
5. Let the employees know what you are telling the managers
6. Give feedback to mgrs on emp. performance at review time
7. let the emp know of item 6

Getting the mgrs involved will help
Yes on 1, 2, 3, but I probably should do more on 4-7. I clearly have a lot more to learn.
__________________
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #34
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6
I work for this guy. He hides from work to keep from getting fired, but makes a big fuss on big projects to look like he is working.

Also takes jabs at people who stay late, insinuates people are lazy when he does not hear typing, badmouths everyone, yet pulls up a large filing cabinet to cover up is surfing.



Also does this thing where he volunteers to do some unnecessary complex thing for a simple project, and expects to be bailed out while being regarded as a genius, but if not will excruciatingly prolong the project with all the hard work he is doing on this heroic task. See point #1.
__________________
thriver1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriver1000 View Post
I work for this guy.... .
Hey, hey, is that you, long-lost former co-w*rker? Good description of a very typical office, are you still w*rking there? Anyhoo, welcome to the forum, Thriver. Start a thread in the "Hi, I am" section and tell us more about yourself.
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriver1000 View Post
I work for this guy. He hides from work to keep from getting fired, but makes a big fuss on big projects to look like he is working.

Also takes jabs at people who stay late, insinuates people are lazy when he does not hear typing, badmouths everyone, yet pulls up a large filing cabinet to cover up is surfing.



Also does this thing where he volunteers to do some unnecessary complex thing for a simple project, and expects to be bailed out while being regarded as a genius, but if not will excruciatingly prolong the project with all the hard work he is doing on this heroic task. See point #1.
This is his way of surviving and avoiding the shame and blame that goes on in the workplace. He is simply projecting out what he feels about himself, lazy and incompetent.

He keeps under the radar, that is obvious. Best to stay away and make like your going along with the game. This type you have to make feel safe, feel good, make him look good. Don't cross him, just play along.

All sorts of nuts you have to entertain the workplace, each has their own baggage developed in youth, how they dealt with shame, whether or not they felt entitled, type of parents, type of critique or praise, expectations. All of this is found in the minefield of corporate Amerika where they all come together, intermingle and find their niche predestined by their early life experience.

jug
__________________
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BunsGettingFirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,502
I used to think that smaller groups would have less of this crap, so I took a job that didn't pay as much thinking that it would expose me to a crack troop of geniuses who work hard and produce. In other words, I was looking for Camelot. What turned out is that the same amount of idiocy, back stabbing, useless behavior exist here as in any other place. My next job will be for the biggest paycheck I can secure.
__________________

__________________
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People who do polls about people who do polls about people in California-friendly? FUEGO Other topics 22 04-22-2009 09:57 AM
RU Lazy? TromboneAl FIRE and Money 30 04-14-2007 11:04 AM
Cheap computer deal through 8/15 - new deal! cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 55 11-24-2004 11:04 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.