I need some job/career advice - thanks in advance

OK, I'm going to take a slightly different tack. If your job is more technical or functional, then changing jobs often as in every 2-5 year is not a big strike, but if your job is more managerial where having a web of connections, past favors, and future obligations are important, than job hopping basically means you're starting over.

Thank you all for your advice and perspective. Ultimately, I ended up taking job #2, and as soon as I made the decision a huge weight was lifted, and it feels like the right move in my gut. I handled my departure as professionally as I could. When I told my manager at job #1 that I was leaving, she said she was disappointed but much to my surprise, she also said that if she were in my shoes and if she thought job #2 was the better long term fit, she'd probably make the same move. My last day at job #1 was yesterday and my first day at job #2 is Monday! Ironically, another job I was interviewing for but pulled my name out of when I got job #1, I just found out that the hiring manger who I would have reported to, left for another job...and I can guarantee that if I had taken that job, that the manager wouldn't have given much thought to me coming on board and the committment he made to me.

... Ironically, another job I was interviewing for but pulled my name out of when I got job #1, I just found out that the hiring manger who I would have reported to, left for another job...and I can guarantee that if I had taken that job, that the manager wouldn't have given much thought to me coming on board and the committment he made to me.

It took me a moment to figure out what you are saying: You also applied for a position with a third employer. You just learned that the hiring manager for that position is no longer in that role. :(

You are quite right that the requisition for the position you applied for would be pulled, that the person who replaces that manager would want to make his/her own decision.

Sometimes angels perch on your shoulder. Best wishes for a great career with the employer you have chosen. BTW, you aren't on board yet!!!

Back
Top Bottom