Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
I'm really hungry. This is one time it's too bad Amarillo is far, far away. I'd like a big juicy steak with all the trimmings right now.
When I went to my 35 year HS reunion, I only ate steaks and burgers entire time. I really do missed Texas steak houses and burger joints. When I put mustard on my burgers in NY, they think I'm crazy. They put ketchup on their burgers and don't even toast the buns.

I go to Peter Luger for steaks but it's about three times more for a steak in Texas and taste isn't as good as in Texas steak houses' steak.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Disclaimer: I've never lived in TX, but I have been there on several occasions when I was w*rking. I always enjoyed my visits.

Fact: I am a native Noo Yawker, born and raised in Rockland County NY. I am female and hetero.

I have to say that there are some locality and lifestyle factors you 2 guys need to take a serious look at. Follow me?
Why did you throw in the "hetero" thing?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quick update. I'm alive and well in the Lonestar state. My partner and I are living in a beautiful 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom 1285 sq foot apartment. Still getting used to my newfound independence from my parents.

Job hunting is currently my top priority. Been combing different job sites since the beginning of July. So far after applying to 28 different postings, I got 1 rejection, 1 we're no longer to fill this position and 1 interview that felt like a waste of time after the recruiter said they're looking for someone with more experience in Marketing. Not really sure what the magic formula is to finding a job that pays decently in a new field. (35-45k/yr) I've applied for jobs posted on the web, messaged HR people at different companies. Skipped career fairs after seeing who was going to be there. After about 10 years of Retail-type jobs, I'm ready to get my feet wet doing something else.

So to those of you who have moved and had nothing, what was your strategy to get established and hired? Temp agencies will be my next route. I submitted my information to 3 of them, one replied and said sorry we don't do recruiting for any Teller (basic post high school banking no experience job I did 6 years ago). My resume clearly indicated I was looking to do something other than banking, but I was just so caught offguard and didn't have the fight in me the day she called.

Immediate income is a concern to me, even with my guy's help, but so is not staying in a career that offers no growth but just helps pay the bills.
MBAVisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You may find some very general, industry-type leads by reviewing these statistics:
Labor Market Information and Other Data for Researchers & Policy Makers

This site has some generalized tips on job-hunting in Texas:
Texas Job Hunter's Guide

I didn't re-read the thread, but I believe you said you would be settling in the Dallas area. This group might be worth checking out. looks like they have a networking breakfast scheduled for this Wednesday:
Dallas Chamber - Dallas Regional Chamber
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #85

Oh. And welcome!
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAVisionary View Post
Temp agencies will be my next route.
Retired for 6+ years, I'm growing rapidly out of touch with the working world but I hired a lot of full-time employees from temp agencies. Many employers like being able to test drive before they buy - I know I sure did.

Good luck in getting the job you want.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
It's actually my first time seeing this. Amusing and very catchy!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Retired for 6+ years, I'm growing rapidly out of touch with the working world but I hired a lot of full-time employees from temp agencies. Many employers like being able to test drive before they buy - I know I sure did.

Good luck in getting the job you want.
I'm slowly but surely reevaluating my long held notions that job placement companies were mostly a waste of time. There are quite a few in the area, I'm bound to find one I can make a go with.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Your breakthrough moment?

I've been struggling with earning a decent income since leaving my 38k/yr banking job in 2008. I worked as an executive assistant grossing 2-500 every two weeks and another bank job making about 29k/yr. I am not super familiar with sales, but am looking at ways to earn a lot more income. Since July I've sold some items on eBay and made ~$200.

Pushing 30 in a couple years and I feel like more of my career path should be figured out. So I look to you all for input on when that big switch came, where you suddenly realized okay this can actually work and I'm going to be alright. I've applied to about 40 positions with only 2 interviews.

Contacted 1 temp agency so far and working on a few more. It's all unfamiliar territory to me. Should I just jump in and take the risk of being unhappy, or should I continue to strategize and look at companies / positions with growth opportunity. My resume isn't super strong on paper, but I am trying to make the best out of a tough situation.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your breakthrough moment?

I've been struggling with earning a decent income since leaving my 38k/yr banking job in 2008. I worked as an executive assistant grossing 2-500 every two weeks and another bank job making about 29k/yr. I am not super familiar with sales, but am looking at ways to earn a lot more income. Since July I've sold some items on eBay and made ~$200.

Pushing 30 in a couple years and I feel like more of my career path should be figured out. So I look to you all for input on when that big switch came, where you suddenly realized okay this can actually work and I'm going to be alright. I've applied to about 40 positions with only 2 interviews.

Contacted 1 temp agency so far and working on a few more. It's all unfamiliar territory to me. Should I just jump in and take the risk of being unhappy, or should I continue to strategize and look at companies / positions with growth opportunity. My resume isn't super strong on paper, but I am trying to make the best out of a tough situation.
I would hate to be looking for a job right now without some specialized skill... and I would say retail is not one of those skills...

The economy is still horrible and is not looking like it will improve soon...

However, you can not give up... keep looking... keep trying at mulitple locations... find a headhunter, get that temp job if you can...

Except for when I graduated back in the early 80s, this is the worst job market I have seen.... (and in a way it is worse since it has lasted longer then back then)...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Good luck to you down there. No matter what the governor says, the job situation is not really all that great in Texas, especially for someone like yourself who is basically cold-calling employers. I grew up in Texas, left, and frankly, don't miss it a bit. Austin is the most liveable place--at least until it exploded from the mid-late 90s. I like San Antonio as well, unlike a previous commenter. There are lots of great restaurants and the cost of living is very affordable. I still may end up back there when I retire--Fredericksburg in the Texas Hill Country is a nice little town.
stoutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #92

Quote:
... Skipped career fairs after seeing who was going to be there.
I have been very fortunate and lucked out over the years, as I worked for my father's company after college for 8 years, then only had to interview with one company 4 years ago for my current position (although not many were hiring in my area for my fairly specialized position).

Just one comment - you never know where that lead will come from. Making a face-to-face connection with someone can be very important. While career fairs may not have the best positions, it could be a great way to set yourself apart by having someone (within 30 seconds) get a glimpse of who you are, as well as your resume and skills.

If someone looks at 100 resumes, all they see are the words and skills. Personality can be a huge factor in hiring someone, or in choosing between 2 candidates. Similarly, if you make a good enough impression and leave your contact info, they might think of a position to follow-up with you on down the road.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to get the contact info from everyone at a career fair, and then call (or even stop by for a moment at their office) 2-3 months down the road to see if any other opportunities have opened up.

Show them how (politely and professionally) persistent you can be, and how you can be dedicated at whatever you do.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Still looking. Up to 45 employers I've applied to work for since July. Went on four interviews so far. All recruiters and none of them really got anywhere.

1. Would have worked 1:1 with a CEO for an SEO company that sounds a bit sketchy. He is on the record as being in the Tea part and I suspect he and I would not have gotten along well. So I never returned his call.
2. Recruiter who 5 minutes into the interview says they're looking for someone more qualified who can hit the ground running in that position. 'Oh we'll keep your information on file in case something comes up'
3. Job placement company that has been around for 60 years. I sent them my information in July, then got a call from a lady who said they don't do recruiting for teller jobs. I did that 6 years ago, not looking to go back and do it again. Didn't feel like explaining it to her and just thanked her and hung up. Then after my partner's car blew up, the salesperson gave me the contact information for another recruiter who happened to work at that company. I hesitated for almost a month about whether to even make the effort. I explained my previous situation to him, but my willingness to work with them and desire to work. Interviewed with a woman there who does more clerical / administrative assistant work, who then said I don't really know why they referred you to me, but let me go get the guy you were supposed to meet with. The position brought to my attention was for someone with more experience in the lending side of banking. I tweaked my resume, but deep down I knew I wasn't going to get a reply back from them.
4. Retail planner / trainee job - Know people who work for this company, met a VP at a social function and some recruiters. Explain that I have a background in banking and would like to work for a great company, etc. Spend hours thinking about what I'm going to say during the interview, get professionally dressed, etc....Go on an interview with one of the recruiters. We go over, which I thought was a good thing. I followup with an email with 6 or 7 questions, since I was encouraged to email any questions I had. I do research on the company's quarterly performance and cite some recently news events. Didn't get any response to my e-mail and was told recently that they've chosen someone else whose background more closely matches their requirements.

Still looking. I've applied to more banking jobs, though ideally I won't work a job with late (7pm) hours or Saturdays. I felt defeated for a day, but now I'm ready to give it my all.

Also tried looking into ways of earning money on the side, with no luck so far. Part of my says I'd be more successful as an entrepreneur since I can continually refine my skills and not go through as rigorous a screening process.

Saw two gigs listed on Craigslist, one asking to list a piano on ebay, the other asking about listing ads regularly on craigslist for a small business. E-mailed responses to both, a couple paragraphs each and no response.

I see another job fair coming up in October, that may be an option. Not sure what companies will be a this one, further research may be needed.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #94

I realize the job market can be very discouraging....but consider the following observations:

Quote:
1. Would have worked 1:1 with a CEO for an SEO company that sounds a bit sketchy. He is on the record as being in the Tea part and I suspect he and I would not have gotten along well. So I never returned his call.
I fully understand that some situations may not be 'ideal' (just as I would think twice before working 1:1 with someone who was one of the founders of Mother Jones ...BUT, it wouldn't hurt to be just a little more "open minded" in a situation like this to simply talk to him and be honest (people do like honesty). While I'm not a card-carrying member of the Tea Party, I do agree with probably about 98% of what their views are....but at the same time, I'm not an 'in your face' type of person, and my co-workers would not be able to guess my political views. Would it hurt to call him back and simply talk to him and see if he is truly bursting at the seems with conservative references? If politics doesn't come up, just be frank with him and ask if political situations or comments will be a part of the daily job functions. Worst case scenario, you simply join the job hunt again. Best case scenario, you realize that not all people who are active in politics are in-your-face as you assume, and you wind up with perhaps a decent job.

Quote:
2. Recruiter who 5 minutes into the interview says they're looking for someone more qualified who can hit the ground running in that position. 'Oh we'll keep your information on file in case something comes up'
They are in the same position as employers. All they see is a resume. They need to communicate to find out that 'human element'. A while back, I interviewed in another city for an engineering position (was dating someone in another city, and was going to make a career change, so I thought "why not?"). Engineers, as you can imagine, sometimes come across as very stuffy, emotionally sterile, robotic at times. They talked to me and were impressed that I could actually communicate.

Perhaps they felt that you didn't come across with enough of something that they were hoping to find? Or perhaps they simply were seeing if there might be some other position you might be more suited for? I'm not saying that you have any shortcomings with your communication skills, but just one thing to realize that can be a critical element in the job hunt.

Quote:
3. Job placement company that has been around for 60 years. I sent them my information in July, then got a call from a lady who said they don't do recruiting for teller jobs. I did that 6 years ago, not looking to go back and do it again. Didn't feel like explaining it to her and just thanked her and hung up.
Did you have a cover letter with your resume? Did you have an "objective" section at the top of your resume detailing (in one/two short sentences) the type of career you're looking to put your experience and talents of _____ to use in? Perhaps she assumed because she didn't know...or perhaps she was looking at 5 different resumes and cover letters and was confused.

Regardless of the reason, SPEAK UP! Tell her "Well, actually, although I have considerable experience as a bank teller, I am hoping to find a position in _______ or ______".

Again - you never know where that final lead will come from! Perhaps she also knows of a position that might fit your talents. You need to pursue each lead with as much reasonable detail and effort as possible. You're giving up too easily!

Quote:
Then after my partner's car blew up, the salesperson gave me the contact information for another recruiter who happened to work at that company. I hesitated for almost a month about whether to even make the effort.
Dude, there is almost 10% "official" unemployment. The economy's in the toilet. Jobs are not plentiful. I realize that some leads may be low probability of success...but when you say "I hesitated for almost a month", you need to ask yourself "why?" True, you don't want to apply for a CEO-level position right out of college...but if your talents would be put to good use at a position, and you think you would be happy with the position, then go for it! Market your skills and different aspects of your experience to show how/why you might be a good fit for the job.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #95

Quote:
If his business practices seemed shady then I agree with your choice. But rejecting a potential job because the boss' politics don't agree with yours?

As long as he's not advocating some criminal action, his money spends just as well as the guy whose politics match yours completely. Except the latter guy isn't offering you a job.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #96
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
If his business practices seemed shady then I agree with your choice. But rejecting a potential job because the boss' politics don't agree with yours?

As long as he's not advocating some criminal action, his money spends just as well as the guy whose politics match yours completely. Except the latter guy isn't offering you a job.
+1
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post

Agreed. If someone is so wound up about politics that they can't work with/for someone they don't agree with, their career is in a lot of trouble.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

I can't imagine talking partisan politics in the workplace. That is so unprofessional, from my point of view. I'm sure in other occupations it probably is considered to be OK (sigh), but most certainly not as a scientist in the agency where I worked.

You have my deep sympathies for having to put up with that kind of work atmosphere in the first place.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I can't imagine talking partisan politics in the workplace. That is so unprofessional, from my point of view. I'm sure in other occupations it probably is considered to be OK (sigh), but most certainly not as a scientist in the agency where I worked.
Nobody I work with has any clue what my political views are. And I go out of my way to keep it that way.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #100
gone traveling

I also left a high cost of living state.

I was in California and left for Texas in 2003. Best financial ever.
ER Man is offline   Reply With Quote